New Airbnb Infant Policy

Wylie1
Level 3
El Cajon, CA

New Airbnb Infant Policy

Babies are louder, smellier and they often break things. So why has Airbnb decided not to let hosts charge for the worst guests?

Due to airbnb's most recent pricing decision I will be denying all requests from people with children who will be staying for free.

112 Replies 112
Suzann0
Level 4
Adelaide, Australia

I had a booking today for today of a guest with no reviews. The booking was for 4 and when I ask the person to please tell me a little about themselves and their guests they said:- "We are group of 4 me my husband and two friends". From this I accepted the booking and explained that I was happy they did not have children as I already had another guest staying who would not be happy with children. They then went on to say they had a 4 month old infant. I contacted Airbnb who said they did not need to disclose an infant in the booking. I was shocked. So people can book to stay and bring a couple of children under 2 and you have to cope with that. The only way I got Airbnb to cancel the reservation and not loose my status was the fact I had asked about the party in an email. Airbnb acted as if it was my fault and that I should change my listing that I don't accept infants. I was prepared to have infants but not now. Also you can not charge for these guest who are much more difficult to host.

That's not true about guests not having to disclose an infant. They just don't have to pay for them (which I think is outrageous). That's the ludicrous result of Airbnb laying off 19,000 people last year and hiring third party vendors to handle customer service. We are liable for anything that happens on our property and even hotels need to know if you're traveling with an infant. Airlines require you to disclose an infant (even if a lap child).

Airbnb is out of it's blooming mind. I tell every guest that every breathing human must be disclosed and that babies (even if not charged for) are still counted in the maximum head count. I just had a guest hit my maximum (4 adults, 1 child that was walking and clearly over 2 but they said it was an infant). Then they asked if another adult could come at the last minute. I said that is one person too many.

These people get away with it because previous hosts let them. I will not. Your property - your rules. Tell your guests at booking that you need complete information and names for every person who will be on site. So far in three years only a recent guest was a problem. Everyone else was up front about names and ages.

Sam4784
Level 2
Washington, DC

@Sam4784  Airbnbs aren't hotels.  They are people's private homes. Some are set up to accommodate families and some aren't. Some aren't safe at all for little ones. And Airbnb's designation of "infants" as 0-2 is a huge problem. A babe in arms, not yet mobile on their own, is a whole different kettle of fish than a 2 year old running around, climbing up on things, scribbling with markers. 

You may be a responsible parent, but many are not. A hotel has your credit card number and charges guests for damages. That isn't what hosts can do on Airbnb. If the guest refuses to pay, which many do, it's a long convoluted process for hosts to try to get Airbnb to cover the damages.

Hosts have had toddlers scribble on the walls and bedding with indelible ink, find cheerios strewn all over the house, food ground into the carpets and upholstery. 

Not accepting children in a listing that isn't suitable for them has nothing to do with being "professional". 

BTW, I raised 3 kids and have 6 grandchildren. I like kids just fine, but I did not ever assume I could take them everywhere. 

Sam4784
Level 2
Washington, DC

Christina1214
Level 2
Woodbridge, VA

I screen everyone now. I have full on conversations through the app. About peoples stay I lay out all the rules and how children under 12 is not suitable. I also have a 2 person only guest list and still have people who want to put infant down, or have their babies come. It literally states no children Uber 12. Also nothing is baby proof. I just don’t let kids in anymore and every time I get a request I come back to this forum and feel comfortable and confident in my decision. I even had someone tell me that it isn’t written anywhere. (I wrote it in 3 different places) and 2 guest max capacity only so why so surprised guest?  Anyway if you don’t accept kids don’t bend the rules because you feel bad or because it’s been a long time. I become a beck and call host. So now couples only and it has been great. 

As long as you include in your House Rules that any person (regardless of babies or not) above what you price for (i.e. above 2 people with a maximum 4) counts as an extra guest, they will need to pay the extra guest fee.

Sharon64
Level 10
Tampa, FL

Would it not be easier to just filter...."not suitable for children."

Stating that the place isn't suitable for infants and children does  nothing. Guests still ask me all the time if I can just overlook this. Sometimes they just tell me they are bringing their child. Sometimes they make the reservation for adults, and I find diapers in the trash and crayon marks on the wall. I don't dare call them out on it, because I am constantly held hostage by the dreaded bad review that cannot be removed even if the gust claims there are aliens from Saturn living in the walls. Of course, if they would just say the neighbors next door are aliens from Saturn, THEN the review could be removed IF I find a CS rep who understands what I'm talking about. 

even with this filter , I have regulary demands, that I have to refuse !! this is ridiculous !! one time for a flat limited on 4 pax, I had a demand for 4 adults and 3 infants !!!!! crazy

@Nathalie295 

We do not accept anyone under 12 years of age.

When we did we paid a high price EVERY time, with mess, “accidents” and blatant vandalism.

I provide ample warning in our listing and if people show up with young children they don’t get in.

Period.

My insurance won’t cover children and I’m not going to take the liability on myself. Not even if it’s 11:00 PM on a dark and stormy night.

No; it would just be easier to not have this zero-dollar infant policy?

I just discovered this policy. Has any reason or justification been given by Airbnb for making infants (by the way, 1 year old is no longer an infant) free, instead of giving Hosts the option to not charge for infants?

We had a newborn long term stay once.  And only once. We did as you suggested and added not suitable for children under three. 

A ton of diapers in the trash and a little one that cried a lot at nights during the summer which was hard for our neighbors. Babies are awesome but they need lots of acoustical space. 

We had to rush out and buy a new mattress after a tolddler peed through the duvee, comforter, blanket, sheets and into the mattress. The mom asked for a hairdryer to dry the pee and thought that would be sufficient "cleaning". I told them to leave and rushed out to buy a new mattress before my next guests were due to arrive 90 mins later. Airbnb did pay us partially for the mattress but I no longer allow anyone under 6 years old.