New Airbnb feature: can set long term prices as percentage discount

Deborah0
Level 10
California, United States

New Airbnb feature: can set long term prices as percentage discount

I just noticed today that there is a new Airbnb product/feature started:  for long term prices, you can now set a long term price as a discounted rate from your standard nightly rate.  Up until now,the long term price could only be set as a monthy rate, which comes into effect for reservations of 28 days or longer.  Now, you can for instance say that your long term price will be 20% off your nightly rate, or 18% off, or 10% off -- whatever discount percentage you want to set.  Or you can still set the long term rate as a fixed rate, not a discount rate.  

Find information on this new feature by going to your listings' pricing page, and you will see a new popup showing there when you go to pricing or manage listing.  

5 Replies 5
Queenie0
Level 10
United States

This might actually be a useful feature but why do we have to keep stumbling onto new features?

I hate this new feature. I want to set my monthly prices lower than the percentage (max 50%) will allow. It's not possible to drop my nightly rate to accommodate what I would like to set as my monthly rate. Epic fail by airbnb as far as I'm concerned. Any ideas?

I agree that this new "feature" more confusing than it is helpful. It would be simpler to enter either a price or a percentage and let the computer do the math. Many people (humans) think of prices in terms of a monthly or weekly rate, not "x percent discount from a daily rate multiplied by the number of nights".

Is there any way to give feedback to AirBnb? 

Deborah0
Level 10
California, United States

I suppose we can give feedback to Airbnb on this by calling into customer service and explaining the problems this feature has for you.  What I think is that it would be best if Airbnb allowed hosts to set weekly or monthly prices EITHER way, either as fixed rates, or as discounts.  I find it frustrating that whenever someone inquires and asks what my monthly rate is,  now because it is a % and not a fixed amount, I can't see it right away on my pricing sheet, I have to get out a calculator and calculate it every single time now.   I prefer being able to set a fixed amount for the weekly or monthly rate.  

I do  see the advantage of having these rates also shown as a discount amount, because it clarifies to the guest that they ARE getting a discount for weekly or monthly stays.  This may help cut down on the number of guests who want to stay for over a week, and ask "can I have a discount?" not realizing that they ALREADY are getting a discount -- ditto for those wanting to stay a month or more.  However, I dont' see why we can't just set a fixed rate, say for instance $1500 a month, and then have  a note automatically appear next to that, indicating the % discount that amount represents over the nightly rate eg:      "$1500/month (25% discount over nightly rate)."    I think presenting it that way would be ideal for all concerned.  

This % pricing is an absolute disaster and will cause my revinue to drop. I am SO upset with this NEW pricing structure I have added the monthly prices in my property descrption. I can't STAND it .. I want to be able to glance at my lisintg and see the monthy price without having to pull out a calculator. EPIC FAIL from AirBNB so much so I am using the VRBO site more now.. Pain in my ass .. for sure !!! 

Thanks AirBNB for cutting my revinue in 1/2 ..