New Airbnb taxes in MA

Jane89
Level 2
Holliston, MA

New Airbnb taxes in MA

What are Massachussets hosts doing about new taxes on hosts?

196 Replies 196
Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

For those of us who are exempt, I just found this over in Help. It works, though it doesn't accurately describe my space.

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Room-Occupancy-Taxes/td-p/1093143

ChrisandDave0
Level 2
Plymouth, MA

Any new news? The MA site saying I need to file for June, July & August 19 even though ABB collected and submitted for me? Any guidance? Appreciate it.

@ChrisandDave0 
Were 100% of your rentals done via Airbnb or similar sites where they received payment from guest before you were paid? If so, you're not responsible!
Did you receive the email from DOR around Oct 9 with details about this?
And IF you were to file, you'd file with zero amounts IF all rent came via Airbnb but that's not needed according to their site, and their person in charge of this, Jen Desimone.

Thank you John47 very helpful. I went on MATAX.COM today Saturday an did all the steps. I am awaiting my Reg number but given its Saturday likely I will get it next week during normal hours. But I was confused that the process said I have filings (June, July, Aug '19) that needed immediate submissions which through me because, like you said, I thought this was all taken care of. So... I will file ZERO as ABB does all my collecting and submissions.

@ChrisandDave0 
Remember, I am NOT providing any official tax advice, but just what I've learned so far.
But why would you have ANY need for filing for June since tax only took effect on July 1?

Now, you may get warning msgs about no filing since you'd probably indicated that you were 'open for biz' in those months BUT for ANY rentals done/paid theu Airbnb/VRBO/realtor, they don't "exist" for your filings. 
There's a note somewhere on DOR site, I think, that says this in different verbiage.  

I am brand new to Airbnb and need help. I hope I’m not disrupting the conversation. Anyone in Northampton MA area who would be willing to assist me with calendar, blocking, rates, etc?? Many thanks!!

@Sheila461 
Actually: Yes, you are disrupting this topic because it's specifically about STR taxes in MA and issues related to that.  Your question should be a separate thread here or on a similar forum that I have found useful (won't give URL here but 'Air hosts forum' should get you there).
Should you have an issue with MA taxes, then this thread is one of about three here dealing with it.
I'm just a host/user but common forum rules apply in most places.

ChrisandDave0
Level 2
Plymouth, MA

Basically go on ABB website as a traveler and plug in request for properties like yours w/number of bedrooms and bathrooms and see what rate those comparable properties are using. Then use best common sense. You may want to come in few bucks lower given your new and want to get some experience and followers.

Karen297
Level 2
Vermont, United States

Hey Folks..How are people handling the monthly  online MA Tax Connect filing? I provided all the data and now it says I have a tax due.  From the gist of this forum, it looks like I should not pay it because Air BnB is already remitting on my behalf.  Am I handling this correctly?

Thanks in advance for all the extremely helpful contributions everyone has made.

Karen

@Karen297  The taxes for any AirBNB reservation/stay is the responsibility of AirBNB. You would only be responsible for any direct bookings or bookings from a platform that is not collecting and submitting the MA taxes.

I do not plan to fill out those forms at all.

@Karen297 
And - if Airbnb hasn't done it properly for your listings, it's NOT your problem or fault!
@Susan151is correct in that you only need to deal with DOR for any direct rentals.
If any other site you use to book collects the rent first, then they are responsible for taxes. Only when you receive payments straight from guest are you involved, ok?

Katherine43
Level 2
New York, United States

A little lost here.

I have a place in Adams .  I registered and did the necessary.  Now I get an email to say I cannot short term.  The whole premise is for me to rent short term.  

I have an ROC number, but have no idea where to put this.

I think it's a procedure that I need to follow?  If so, what is it?  

If not, do I need to actually with a person?  

Thanks,

Kate 

@Katherine43 
And based on your  brief and ungrammatical post without many key details, I am also totally lost in what exactly your questions are so while I'd like to help, i can't without more info, ok?
1) Necessary what?
2) email from whom and about what? From Airbnb? From DOR?
3) ROC identifies YOU; the Certificate ID is for the property listing which is what Airbnb wants
4) What procedure are you referring to? There's dozens of possibilities..
5) "do i need to actually with a person"? HUH???

Katherine43
Level 2
New York, United States

Apologies John

i thought I was emailing Airbnb directly 

I’m rather frustrated right now hence zero proofreading 

It would be great to get an email for Airbnb so I can correspond on a 1:1 basis

I need to be sure that I’m doing things correctly 

Thanks 

Kate

@Katherine43 
Oh! Ok...no, you're just here on the community forum with a bunch of other hosts and maybe a rare appearance by someone working or contracted with Airbnb...but sometimes lately, WE as fellow hosts may know more than the CSR's at Airbnb it seems!  Personally, I have been dealing with this STR tax for maybe close to 2 yrs as I even went to a public hearing on it with state legislators in Hyannis a couple of summers ago so I think I'm fairly educated on it.

As I said, you maybe should ask us here because we've had to deal with the failures of how poorly it's been implemented and documented.
Sorry if I was a bit curt before but your post had too many missing items to be able to answer it fully.

Now I believe that Airbnb had sent an email a few months ago saying that IF you hadn't registered (both you AND the property which are separate setups!) and received a DOR Certificate ID nbr for the property and then entered that in the Regulations part of your listing, that they would block your listing, which makes sense in most all cases.   The problem is that Airbnb has (AFAIK) still failed to understand and handle the couple of exemptions to the law.  I don't know IF you qualify for that but it's a possible issue that may not be resolved yet between DOR & Airbnb.

Does any of that help???