New Airbnb taxes in MA

Jane89
Level 2
Holliston, MA

New Airbnb taxes in MA

What are Massachussets hosts doing about new taxes on hosts?

196 Replies 196
Allison160
Level 2
Mashpee, MA

Thanks @John0 - Appreciate your reply. Yes, I've read the law several times and like most other hosts here on the Cape, I'm just hoping that the taxes will be handled directly through Airbnb by the time July 1 rolls around. 

I did contact Airbnb today and they gave me info on the booking service fee for a particular reservation that I have booked in July. My guests wanted to know the amount of tax that they would have to pay and I explained to the customer service rep that I would not be able to reply with an answer without knowing the exact amount of the booking service fee. After a little bit of run-around, she finally gave me that number. 

@Allison0 you can see what the booking fee is under the details and payments 

Haley60
Level 2
Plymouth, MA

found this resource to be extremely clear and helpful. I sent some messages to air bnb support urging them to realize that the law clearly dictates it is THIER responsibility to collect these taxes. 

"The law requires whoever collects payment for the rental to collect the tax and remit it to the Commonwealth. The Department of Revenue will issue regulations to clarify how often the tax should be remitted to the Department.

The law requires regulations to minimize the administrative burden on tax filings for those who only rent their unit five (5) months or less each year. This will be addressed in subsequent Department of Revenue regulations."

https://www.cciaor.com/shorttermrentals/

@Haley60  Exactly Airbnb is suppose to do  this ...its their responsibility, so Im ignoring all until July 1 when they decide to add that button that automatically collects the fees from guests ...They are being asses and I feel punishing us because they are suing Boston

John47
Level 9
Chatham, MA

Update: As a result of a phone conversation with another host, I asked the DOR contact (Jennifer) about the status of the sub-catergory called "B&B homes" as defined by:
"“Bed and breakfast home”', a private owner-occupied house where not more than 3 rooms are let, a breakfast is included in the rent and all accommodations are reserved in advance."

It seems they are EXCLUDED from the tax which I find unfair as I thought ALL STR's were included but there's also apparently NO definition of what constitutes "breakfast" so that could be a problem. Are self service coffee and granola bars like one hotel provides a 'breakfast' or not?

Anne226
Level 4
Falmouth, MA

Hi, John. Doesn’t that sound off since traditional B&B’s are taxed? 

@Anne226 
Yes, i certainly found it puzzling since many ABB's would fit in this description as well as some existing 'commercial' ones. I would like to try and get answer from Sen. Cyr's office whom i sent inquiry to also.

Alicia242
Level 5
Salem, MA

For anyone who wants to use this blurb I borrowed it from another host in Salem MA you can edit it to add the % your city is taking 

!!!!!! Notice to all registered guests and potential new guest registering !!!!

THE STATE OF MASSACHUSETTS AND THE CITY OF SALEM HAVE INSTITUTED TAXATION THAT MIRRORS WHAT HOTEL/MOTEL GUESTS MUST PAY TO THE STATE AND THE CITY. THE REASON FOR THE NEW TAX WAS TO CREATE A LEVEL PLAYING FIELD FOR BOTH FORMS OF LODGING. 
MASSACHUSETTS HOSTS ARE WAITING TO SEE HOW AIRBNB IS GOING TO HANDLE THE TAX COLLECTION.

THE STATE RATE IS 5.7% AND THE CITY RATE IS 6% FOR A TOTAL TAX OF 11.7%.

THE TAX IS EFFECTIVE 7/1/19. IT MAY BE THAT IF YOU REGISTERED BEFORE THE END OF 2018 YOU MAY BE EXEMPT FROM THE TAX. ANY REGISTRATIONS DURING THIS YEAR MAY BE EXEMPT IF YOU VISIT BEFORE 7/1/19. 
IMPLEMENTATION AND DETAILS FOR HOST ARE UNCLEAR BUT WE HAVE BEEN ADVISED THAT AIRBNB WILL BE COLLECTING THE TAXES. WE EXPECT TO GET BETTER INFORMATION IN THE NEAR FUTURE.

YOU SHOULD KNOW THAT MY LISTED RATES DO NOT INCLUDE THE TAX AND ONCE THE REMEDY FOR THE COLLECTION OF TAXES IS CLEAR, IF THERE IS A TAX FOR YOUR STAY IT WILL BE ADDED TO YOUR CURRENT VISIT EITHER BY MYSELF OR AIRBNB 

Sharl0
Level 2
Plymouth, MA

In Plymouth, MA, I guess we are going to start paying 14.7%. Here is a note from the Administrative Assistant to the Town Manager: 

There are now three taxes associated with short term rentals:

5.7% = State Tax **
6.0% = Plymouth Local Tax **
3.0% = Plymouth Community Impact Fee (new)

** = Taxes that were already assessed to hotels & motels in Plymouth, now applicable to short term rentals

So, basically, guests of hotels and motels in Plymouth have already been assessed the State and Local taxes.  As you know, what is new is that guests of short term rentals will now pay these two taxes, PLUS a 3% Community Impact Fee that was just approved by Town Meeting (Special Article 7).  

To your question about the 6% Local Tax, the Town did not have to take a new vote to accept the Special Act that established the local hotel & motel levy.   The State’s update to the Special Act (adding the short term rentals) is automatically considered as being adopted by those communities that had already accepted the original language of the Special Act.   Therefore, only a vote for the new Community Impact Fee was required.  

Here is info from the Massachusetts Department of Revenue’s website, explaining why a new vote for the 6% Local Tax was not needed:     

How do I know if a local option excise applies to my short-term rental?

If a city or town currently has already adopted a local option room occupancy excise, the local option automatically applies to a short-term rental starting July 1, 2019 for which a rental contract was entered into on or after January 1, 2019.  No further action is required by these cities or towns to impose the local option on short-term rentals.  You can find a listing of municipalities that have a local option by visiting the Division of Local Service’s Municipal Databank

We currently have a local option room occupancy excise in my city/town. What actions do we need to take to have it apply to short-term rentals?

As indicated in the previous FAQs, if your city or town has already adopted a local option room occupancy excise, your local excise will automatically apply to a short-term rental starting July 1, 2019 for which a rental contract was entered into on or after January 1, 2019. No further action is required for the local excise to apply to short-term rentals. The local excise applies to the same occupancies as the state excise.

As a general rule, a municipality that accepts a statute accepts any amendments the legislature subsequently makes to the statute. Therefore, if a municipality has accepted a local option statute, then it operates under the statute as amended. No further action is necessary unless the legislature provides otherwise. Moreover, in this case, section 15 of the legislation states the following: “A city or town that accepted section 3A of chapter 64G of the General Laws before July 1, 2019 shall be deemed to have accepted said section 3A of said chapter 64G for the purposes of this act.” 

@Sharl0 
And it's going to VERY difficult for Airbnb to determine who gets that 3% CIF as it's based on number of units in town and I'm not even sure exactly how it may apply to certain situations. 
They can NOT apply it to everyone in Plymouth as only limited nbr of hosts will be taxed.  

@Sharl0 
Just following up now that I've had some time to read more about the CIF. As it's VERY dependant on your particular setup/listings, I don't see how Airbnb will be able to determine if it applies to you or not and would likely have to be entered by you as user as option.

Anne226
Level 4
Falmouth, MA

I noticed today (5/12/19) that "Occupancy Taxes and Fees" has been to my MA listing. I have not received any email notification from Airbnb about this. How will Airbnb retroactively collect taxes from earlier reservations booked for July 1 and later?

"Room Occupancy Excise Tax (Falmouth Township)

Lodging Tax (Barnstable)

Accommodations Tax (Massachusetts)"

Anne,

I can see the "occupancy taxes and fees" on other listings but not on my own.  How can I check that? I would like to see what guests are paying including service fees! thanks 

@Katrin115, they may be doing a soft launch and quietly rolling it out. Airbnb customer service said we would be notified. My taxes (12.45%) match the service fee. I don't see any adjustments made by Airbnb to my existing reservations booked July 1 and later.

I just noticed that they are listing the taxes now as part of the cost when entering a new reservation.  I have been working on this issue for many weeks.  I was told by an AirBnB support person several weeks ago that even after they started adding the occupancy taxes (etc). to the reservation totals for new bookings, they would not go back and add the taxes to existing bookings.  I am trying to figure out how to collect the taxes from my currently booked guests, and then once the state gets it set up, I hope to figure out how to register and pay the taxes to the state.