New Extensive Review Process

Lisa367
Level 10
Catania, Italy

New Extensive Review Process

I am a superhost on Airbnb and recently rented an apartment as a guest.  Has anyone else noticed the new very extensive review process that Airbnb has implimented?  As a host, it's really frustrating because this is where people get the most passive aggressive.  As a host, you're already scrutinized over everything, but to really allow the guests to dig deep into each individual aspect of their stay (ie:  "smells" and "sounds", REALLY??) is really problematic.  For example, our last guest left a private review that there was a "nauseating smell of burnt meat" on the "cleanliness/smells" star.  First of all, we didn't cook at all while this guest was in our house, she must have smelled one of the neighbors cooking, and second of all, we're in Sicily, so there are definitely going to be food smells coming in from all angles at certain times a day.  This feedback really bothered me because it was unnecessary and obviously had nothing to do with us since it wasn't even coming from our house.  I would've preferred these guests just keep these types of thoughts to themselves and enter it in the private feedback to me, rather than giving them the option of selecting specific things to complain about.  As a host who has new guests almost every 2 days, the last thing I need to hear is random complaining from guests about very little things.  Obviously as a superhost, I do my best to make sure their stay is 100% comfortable.  My feelings are also important and I don't need to hear every two days something really small and meaningless that I can't control (like food smells in Italy).  Reading passive aggressive feedback actually makes me really upset and I'm getting to the point where I really just don't want to bother hosting anymore.  I'd prefer going back to the basic rating system.  It's faster for the guest to leave reviews and much less harsh on the host.

307 Replies 307

Holy cow, you got dinged for no vase of flowers or candy??  Man I'm glad I had both out (plus waters and soft drinks in the fridge!!) and the ONLY reason I do is because my house is listed for sale.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoy hosting and actually WANT to do the 'little things' but if for some reason I didn't on a particular day, I do NOT want to deal with a guest that felt slighted!

I just had  my first whole house rental.  After jumping through hoops for things that initially they said they didn't need, and interrupting the scheduled cleaning service so they could take a nap, the woman complained about cat fur on a comforter.  The cats have been living in my RV for a month already, and EVERYTHING was professionally cleaned immediately after.  But sure enough, there was some fur on the comforter.  I think it must have been maybe stuck to walls, or on the carpet, or something....and vacuuming stirred it up and some of it settled on the comforter.  Regardless, I popped it in the wash and offered to either put it back on the bed once dry or fold and leave in the greatroom, and they never responded.  By then, frankly, I was kind of tired of jumping through hoops so they didn't get the comforter the final night.  You've gotta' help me help you!  😉

I did everything I could, now waiting to see what they say.

wow sorry about that.  We all know that people sometimes are angry, or depressed, who knows and they feel they may take liberty by hurting others.

If you as we do, list rules and contacts specifically, then you are fine.  It is amazing they complained about flowers, etc., as apparently you do a good job with cleanliness, the rules, and most important parts!

That is why I believe a more questioned review is a good idea; that way Airbnb will better understand ratings, can track a guest who does this and also us, as hosts, if we were also not being good ones due to certain required elements of hosting, and/or also see that one single guest can take you out from a 5-star host due to a comment like that and use it in a rating without details.

Best, D.

Charlie & Nina- You can ask ABB to edit or remove a review that negatively remarks on things you did not list as provided. I have found them to be quite helpful and fair.  

Thank you for pointing this out, I had a similar issue with a group (mother and daughter) who stayed just for one night. 

Besides the fact that I had to alter my schedule to wait for them, they did not say anything to me, but then they complained about smells, linen and towels! and also that I came back late waking them up (midnight) and that it was cold.

OK I have two cats, but of course I  keep the house super clean, especially the bathroom and the room I rent, of course the sheets are freshly washed and the towels are new and clean as well. and yes I came back late but tried to be as silent as possible.

I understand your frustration  as I feel frustrated myself. Having someone in your house is sharing part of your time, space and life, you expect some sort of communication and feedback.

In this case they behave like they rent a hotel room, skattering all their stuff around and even leaving their pee in the toilet without flushing it :-((( and I thought it was not to disturb me. I don't even bother to reply, by the way it was another daughter to book on their behalf and who also wrote the review and I think this might be part of the issue, as my guest were not really airbnb types.

So I have decided to not accept any booking on behalf of someone else! 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Margherita29 I think you are right. It always worries me if someone requests a booking for other family members. You have direct contact with the actual guests themselves, so no way of telling if they are going to be the right fit for your place.

Debbie_Jim0
Level 3
Wrightsville Beach, NC

hi, Huma, just a note to say that we do have , despite what people may write here, which unfortunately I cannot remain on these help Airbnb discussions un monitored, people say we are not insured; it comes with the package, so does litigation, free, if you agree to settle with their discretion.  We are protected from people who are possibly thieves, (Rare), and make up stories about what went missing.  No worries, with Airbnb it is true, we are covered for one million dollars.  Period.  Also, Margherita, is right about allowing other family members do booking for other family members.  First one must question, why?  Next one, they are not following Airbnb rules, so it is easy to state that in your own way, to keep your coveragage.  I also do recommend , and we have had so many new people to Airbnb, still follow their reviews and/or recommendations.  Airbnb backs them as well.  so I always feel  more at ease, and that is why we found working this way takes a lot of concern out of the picture.  Good luck to you!

@Margherita29oh yes, NEVER accept a booking on behalf of someone else.  you are not insured!   the person doing the booking needs to be there at the time of check in otherwise all your airbnb benefits (insurance, etc) are invalid.  we've had people book on someone else's account 2 or 3 times now and they always tell me "i'm booking with my daughters account" and i'm always like "nope".   i make them cancel the reservation and sign up for their own account.  because you know it would be just that one time they fall down the stairs and i'm not insured!  murphys law!

@Lisa367 thank you so much ! Probably I missed this when I read the insurance details

Crustt0
Level 5
Apollo Bay, Australia

Airbnb insurance?? you may find that they wont cover you anyway, not worth the risk you need your own.

@Lisa367

That's an interesting note about "third party reservation" i.e. guests booking for their friends and family. I host a lot of business travellers and that happens all the time as someone in the office books for the rest of the team. 

I will follow-up with Airbnb to see if the insurance does not cover that. It's scary not that I rely on Airbnb's Insurance policy. 

Crustt0
Level 5
Apollo Bay, Australia

@Dev4

Your running a business and need to take responsibity for yourself, relying on airbnb to cover you is unrealistic. Read the forums, very few people make a succsecful claim.

I think it is only good for a million dollars anyway, I'd rather pay for ten and be covered no matter what.

@Crustt0

FYI, we have adequate coverage on all our properties. I am an active member of the Toronto Host Community and I know that a lot fellow hosts rely on the insurance if things go south. Airbnb does a good job promoting the coverage.

Crustt0
Level 5
Apollo Bay, Australia

Yes Airbnb do a wonderful job at promoting the coverage, but an average job at backing it up. ;-)))

CRUSTTY, I don't get your statements that are false at all.  Are you attempting to compose information while under the effect of a drug or alchol, as it does not make sense.  I had to write because such an untruth implies a lot about your integrity.  If you indeed list through Airbnb then you know the same information that we all do- they will take care of any legal problems you may come across, rare here, if you agree to accept the results of their litigation with the other party, a guest who took something and then made a joke out of it.  It wasn't funny, we went w/ Airbnb and got more money from this than we would have with the guest, who was apparently drunk when he stole/lost our bicycle my husband has had forever- oh well, he was gone in his truck, saying he left it at a bar, didn't lock it obviously and this is a small town- we settled for the amount that Jim actually had just paid to have his classic beach fat tire bike restored fully.  It's a loss, but this guy wasn't going to even attempt to help us, to look for it, nor pay even $50 for it, so there you go.  Airbnb is the only reason we decided to open our first Airbnb, and if that's the worst thing to happen to us, we are still blessed!  No worries, safe travels, meet that guest when they arrive if possible or someone managing your cleaning/maintenance that you totally adore and trust.  Then immediately meet them asap when you return, unless it's in the middle of the late hours!  For Crustt's sake, first he said only rely on yourself, well guess what, no one can use their name as your listing then will be Crustt's Rental.  Be aware a million does not go far if someone is accidentally injured, or they break into your home while you are out at the store or dinner w/ your partner, or they God forbid, destroy your home.  A million would possibly cover these things; I also have always had a good reliable Insurance company and rep who advised us to yes, Airbnb is excellent.  You are frightening to some people, which does ot help the purpose of this site.  And believe me, it still has everything going through Airbnb co. as they represent something supportive, positive, and will attempt to answer questions though it may be challenging.  You are representing high standards, for an affordable cost, safety, and knowledgeable about the area should they want to talk, spend time with you learning about your area, etc.  Good luck.. oh, p. s.  if  you thing ten , meaning millions, is needed than just do it,  without all of the discussion of your personal choices.  

First you accuse me of using the internet under the influnce, then you rant on giving your opinion out freely and explaining all your personal choices and then tell me  I shouldn't bring my personel choices in the dicussion.

Your Funny.

I think I might have a drink and then I may be able to make sense of your post. Feelin sorry for Jim.