New Extensive Review Process

Lisa367
Level 10
Catania, Italy

New Extensive Review Process

I am a superhost on Airbnb and recently rented an apartment as a guest.  Has anyone else noticed the new very extensive review process that Airbnb has implimented?  As a host, it's really frustrating because this is where people get the most passive aggressive.  As a host, you're already scrutinized over everything, but to really allow the guests to dig deep into each individual aspect of their stay (ie:  "smells" and "sounds", REALLY??) is really problematic.  For example, our last guest left a private review that there was a "nauseating smell of burnt meat" on the "cleanliness/smells" star.  First of all, we didn't cook at all while this guest was in our house, she must have smelled one of the neighbors cooking, and second of all, we're in Sicily, so there are definitely going to be food smells coming in from all angles at certain times a day.  This feedback really bothered me because it was unnecessary and obviously had nothing to do with us since it wasn't even coming from our house.  I would've preferred these guests just keep these types of thoughts to themselves and enter it in the private feedback to me, rather than giving them the option of selecting specific things to complain about.  As a host who has new guests almost every 2 days, the last thing I need to hear is random complaining from guests about very little things.  Obviously as a superhost, I do my best to make sure their stay is 100% comfortable.  My feelings are also important and I don't need to hear every two days something really small and meaningless that I can't control (like food smells in Italy).  Reading passive aggressive feedback actually makes me really upset and I'm getting to the point where I really just don't want to bother hosting anymore.  I'd prefer going back to the basic rating system.  It's faster for the guest to leave reviews and much less harsh on the host.

307 Replies 307
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Crustt0

I might join you......but I think I will have what Debbie's on!!!

Cheers....Rob

@Crustt0  that msg from Jim was really strange!  Let's just hope he was drunk as a skunk and that's not his daily personality.

Hi All, Dawn, Jerry, Thelma,

Interesting in this forum to consider the underlying concepts, the foundations.

Americans and Australians have a proud history of independence and entrepreneurship.

Do-It-Yourself folks, pioneers, inventors, leaders, community citizenship, involvement.

Not employee attitudes, not government worker habits, not that stuff. Real dynamic independence.

Can 100 of us co-operate to begin simple software enabling smaller groups of similarly interested folks?

Circles of photogrphers, other circles of cyclists, or gardeners, or whatever. It was the aspect of society

natural interaction that the original ABB men tapped into. ABB is only a label, as thin as decal film on

an office door window. It means nothing. The VC money men behind the label want to extract maximum profit

from their baby. tey're doing it. Not their property, not their risk, not their lives. Okay, fine - hosts benefit

in many ways. I suggest let them continue, let us explore a parallel of cheap independence and let's see

what happens. Would you like to collaborate? It is very possible and now seems the time. I'm serious

and already have excellent programmers wishing to start. It is necessary to know the essential features

people want. Comments very welcome.

Dunny

Hi Lisa,

Are you saying that as a superhost, which is a goal we all strive for, your guest review process is more extensive than if the host isn't a superhost?

Thanks,

Thelma

@Thelma3

the review process and parameters are the same for all hosts to review guests. @Lisa367 and a lot of hosts, including myself, are stating that guest have a many parameters to rate the host and this is alarming as we can be penalized with a lower rating on one of the many parameters at guest's disposal.

Hope this helps.

Debbie_Jim0
Level 3
Wrightsville Beach, NC

Thelma, I have not seen the new review questions but I do know how general they are at present.

That is why I believe it can help to have included details about what was not satisfactory, and Airbn can also see that I don't normally get a review like it at all.  I want to of course know what to correct if anything; and would not appreciate just a lower star without explanation, and they do not realize how much we depend on their honesty.  Seriously, we figured entering into the last Jan. 17th deadline (our quiet time of yeara for us, we thrive starting May through Aug. at least), so had only several who had rated us during holidays; we narrowed it down to one party, cannot understand at all since we do not have details, which is why I support Airbnb's idea...they may also have info on that person, maybe they just had one bad day, maybe they didn't give it much thought, and it was rare to have this!  So being a Superhost almost from the beginning, we also lost it one other time, similar thing, we could not narrow that one down, though and guessing at ideas.  We truly work hard at providing EVERYTHING someone may want even if the brought nothing but their own clothes.  All is inclusive, all is detailed, checked, double checked by me, so having more info would help us all.  Someone could simply be enjoying rating an Airbnb low because that is how they do it, not understanding results matter.  He/she may do it to more than one, see what I mean?  So  then Airbnb is able to see that the problem is not really with my space prepped totally for them, it's a repeater who could be depressed, not happy, etc., and then they realize with details it has to be more real, for ex. can say didn't like the color, though they are all online in our posting; or they do not think outside was clean enough, in winter, when things are dying back, and still we plant Autumn Ferns around our goldfish pond, and light candles for guests.  SO that's all, just thinking more about how it actually helps us, and Airbnb, win-win.  Thanks, I am curious now and want to see the form they use, that is actually necessary before I have another guest coming in the spring.  Is that asking too much?  We trust Airbnb and would not be doing this without them, so trust their guiding and have had the experience once of relying on their litigation over a theft, and we certainly received due to receipts at least part of now what it would take to replace it.  We simply will offer a bike rack, set up, and can also make rental arrangements- it's a shame, a bike riding community and a safe one at that!  Oh, well, Airbnb did a great job, and this guy did not get to rate us or say a thing as we were allowing them to finalize the problem, we were paid, and agreed to their terms.  Have faith!  

Ken33
Level 1
Mermaid Beach, Australia

Hi all, I'm also a superhost on the Gold Coast and haven't come across these new review processes, I find some guests private reviews and "things I could do to improve the place" mostly ridiculous, one was the view from the toilet window was of the rear fence and maybe I could do something to make it more interesting....really, I mean who leans over the toilet to gaze out of the window? So some guests are just trying to be helpful and probably wouldn't have given it a second thought until specifically asked so then they feel they have to offer something so I can see what this new process is going to cause. Guests need to remember they are staying in our homes and of course they might just "hear and smell" something, I'd be surprised if they didn't. 

Debbie_Jim0
Level 3
Wrightsville Beach, NC

Hi, is that really true?

As a host for a bit over a year now, I could sort of know who would give us a totaly irrelevant part of being our guest, it isn't sounding like anything I was informed of.  It is not very professional, even, so doubt many guests would ever even answer.

I would like answers then from Airbnb why, and why our's as hosts is short, which is usually just a note to the guest about gratitude, happy they enjoyed your town, neighborhood, hospitality, community, etc.!

I would like an answer from Airbnb on the questionairre, the purpose of it, and why we were not informed of changes. They are not realizing the roots of this very hospitable person who started the Airbnb after letting someone sleep on his kitchen floor, in Ca.  I wonder if he even is aware of an inappropriate survey such as examples were given here, that are no judgement for the purpose of formerly, communication, cleanliness, was as expected, etc.

Thanks!

Debbie_Jim0
Level 3
Wrightsville Beach, NC

Ken, lol I know your pain; at least you got to see the document I suppose which apparently others have complained that some of the extra and new questions are silly, like you said, what is the view from the bathroo?  Well, we can surely have our blinds ready, check.  We  can surely explain it's their space, and we do have a variety of other homes near the water around us, but their view is hardly much of a sound question to me, either.

Who is moderating this thread? I believe the detailed questionaire is clear, and how often do I wish I had specific questions before I rate a hotel where I have just stayed?  I ended up writing a letter and left it with the front desk for the person in charge.  That is rather silly.

IF you got a lot of similar complaints, like say communication was good, privacy was good, yet there was a low rating!  No explanation!  We lost our status and we are just into this business about 1 year plus, had SuperHost status 2/3 of the time at least, but 2 different guests obviously pulled it down, as we have a lot of bookings yet still, hardly any Oct.-May!  That is a lot of time, and if one person rates something low then there go our numbers, percentage wise.  So after having 5 stars, we obtained less, I thought 4.8 was ok, but oh well, if someone is not a happyperson they have to take it out wherever they go.  Good thing the Superhosts I have known God knows their layout and Airbnbs are not ideal in some ways, but they get 5 stars and from me, too!  Take care

S19
Level 1
Lisbon, Portugal

You know what, Airbnb is taking it to a point where they expect all properties to be located right on top of a metro station for 5 star location review with silenced trains so that there is no sound. I guess they also want al properties to be located in places where neighbours will also be careful that there is a Airbnb Guest in one of the neighbouring flats. 

I am also a super host and I clearly understand what you mean. Last week, one guest gave all five stars but gave 4 stars overall, just randomly. I get funny comments that I should have provided pillows suitable for thier head size! I think it is time when hosts should get together. These are private properties, not hotels. 

My flat is only 6/7 minutes walking distance from the metro station which is nothing. Still some of them act like they live on top of Eiffel Tower, Statue of Liberty or Tower Bridge. May God bless them!

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@S19, I hear you! I had one guest complain that the five minute walk (some guests report that it was only three minutes for them) to the tube station was too much and very difficult to manage. She was 22 years old. She also said the house (which is 2.5 times the size of the average UK home) was too small. She forgot to mention the effort I made to research her travel options from the airport when the trains weren't running or that I almost missed my family Christmas dinner waiting for her when she was late. Oh well, I guess there's no pleasing some people...

Debbie_Jim0
Level 3
Wrightsville Beach, NC

I had one private note from a gal who adored our cottage near the sea, after they left - very good guests, gave us 5 stars.

In her one line that usually is signed as a N/A , people do have a private chance here to say something which I appreciate, was she had wished we had a larger selection of type of pillows.

I was shocked, they have at least 3-6 on the beds , trade pillows on the daybed as it is clean and not being used - see if they did not mind the explanation that anything you need is a call or text away, and maybe there in their own walk in closet with the spare sheets, as well.  I want everyone to have choices, I get it.  But it was a bit funny, this was one couple so they get 3 on their Queen beautiful bed, plus are carefully told from the start, which I do recommend you doing, if you need ANYTHING please text or however they like to communicate- WHILE they are here!

Lesson learned, writing in our description besides that we use all green cleaning solutions in our home, buy Organic when we can sheets and towels, "Please note if your pillows do not suit you, feel free to open your own as we explain, full private walk in closet where we store extra pillows".  

SO now, hoping she is delighted to know this, as we want to keep people HAPPY!  Or I would not be in AirBnb business.  

I doubt that many folks read the rule book, it's what we leave with them after we attempt to sumerize it before they are leaving for a gatherin or the beach, so we still leave it in their room, our contact numbers and explanations about linens.  

We have had the 99% ideal guests, and have enjoyed getting to know several as we took them out for a tour on a boat, or they have bikes available, and send them out to the best beach spots as we have lived here many years. 

I am a firm believer, and pay attention to the details having to just learn from the experience, we can not please everyone, we do provide it all with a guide book to help them yet it happens!

Best regards

@Lisa367   I used to find it frustrating and petty but now I ignore it. It's mostly worthless information for the host, like the location star.  It reads more like a survey to gain insight into what makes humans tick than a review.  Like many of Airbnb's 'innovations', I'll bet it's purely data collection for future ventures.  Imagine the wealth of information about needs, wants, desires, dislikes, sensitivities, gripes, they will collect if all guests decide to spend their time filling in lengthy questionnaires that unmask their personality traits -  their likes and dislikes, their levels of tolerance, their passive-agressiveness.  It's a veritable gold mine for new ventures and branding.

Debbie_Jim0
Level 3
Wrightsville Beach, NC

Hi, Ange-  why are you even thinking about it that way, when most hosts are creating safe, clean, calm and sometimes with beautiful oceans or mountains nearby - picture that.  No way is anyone after feedback on how you are, live, present yourself and your home.  They will do better simply finding studies about we as humans , through masters in the fields they would want to explore in human behavior.

I never thought this way, we are on a really laid back relaxed island.  It is obvious that for some reason, you think it is trickery to get to information and it isn't usually pure truth anyway.  There is no factor to relate it to.

Have a good night.  Enjoy life, it is short indeed, and yet so full of wonder and beautiful days, thoughts, rather than a worrisome one.

Namaste

@Debbie_Jim0 

You misunderstood my point.

But, what do you think detailed feedback and complaints about things hosts can do nothing about  is for?

btw:  I do not think of it as trickery, it's a time-worn method for data collection. Nor did I say it was for collecting information on hosts, it's not, because a host can do little about city smells, dirty streets, their location, what time the birds start singng, what nights the city cleans the streets, all of which have been subject of complaints and low ratings by guests prodded to give details by the new lengthy review system the guest is asked to fill in.

My point is how does this type of feedback help hosts?  How does it help Airbnb in the guest/host relationship?   Who does it help?   What is it for?  Again, little to none of the feedback that these 'reviews'  encourage  is helpful to hosts.

However, this kind of feedback/information does allow for detailed insight into personality, likes and dislikes etc.  You must know that this field of investigation is a gold mine. Social media does it, surveys do it, focus groups do it, just about every webiste you log onto does it,  it is and always has been the holy grail of data collection.

As an aside: check out Chip Conley, Head of Global Hospitality & Strategy for Airbnb, he is very into personality, meaning, emotional equations, “unrecognized needs”, expectations and desires as tools for building successful business.