New Extensive Review Process

Lisa367
Level 10
Catania, Italy

New Extensive Review Process

I am a superhost on Airbnb and recently rented an apartment as a guest.  Has anyone else noticed the new very extensive review process that Airbnb has implimented?  As a host, it's really frustrating because this is where people get the most passive aggressive.  As a host, you're already scrutinized over everything, but to really allow the guests to dig deep into each individual aspect of their stay (ie:  "smells" and "sounds", REALLY??) is really problematic.  For example, our last guest left a private review that there was a "nauseating smell of burnt meat" on the "cleanliness/smells" star.  First of all, we didn't cook at all while this guest was in our house, she must have smelled one of the neighbors cooking, and second of all, we're in Sicily, so there are definitely going to be food smells coming in from all angles at certain times a day.  This feedback really bothered me because it was unnecessary and obviously had nothing to do with us since it wasn't even coming from our house.  I would've preferred these guests just keep these types of thoughts to themselves and enter it in the private feedback to me, rather than giving them the option of selecting specific things to complain about.  As a host who has new guests almost every 2 days, the last thing I need to hear is random complaining from guests about very little things.  Obviously as a superhost, I do my best to make sure their stay is 100% comfortable.  My feelings are also important and I don't need to hear every two days something really small and meaningless that I can't control (like food smells in Italy).  Reading passive aggressive feedback actually makes me really upset and I'm getting to the point where I really just don't want to bother hosting anymore.  I'd prefer going back to the basic rating system.  It's faster for the guest to leave reviews and much less harsh on the host.

307 Replies 307

Thank you for voicing something that i have been feeling but not clear about.

Now that you have said it outloud, it is obvious.

Airbnb uses and will use this data for future evil.  In the meantime they may legitimately use location ratings for smart pricing.

But in the future it can also use this information to build the perfect hostels and put us out of business. Or sell this information to someone who will put us out of business.

Like Uber drivers, we will be cast aside as more efficient forms of service come.

I already feel like they are demanding us to jump higher...

@Paul154airbnb guests should have very little to complain about.  if the apartment is relatively clean, that should be enough.  considering the extremely low price you pay for a room, you should not be allowed to judge another person's apartment based on "smells".  that is by far the most ridiculous thing ive ever heard of.  right now our room is priced at 27 euros a night.  thats pretty much cheaper than buying a box and sleeping on the street.  clean sheets, clean bathroom, clean kitchen.  thats all they should get.  i'm sick of worrying about cooking a steak and getting a bad review  because it smelled like meat in the house.  its my house!

Laurel-Leigh0
Level 1
Las Vegas, NV

Its disconcerting that when you open up your home to somebody you lose your privacy and may get a lot of hate. To me it sounds like they were expecting a professionally trained hotelier to cater to their sensibilities more than a bunking in arrangement at some family home. Their attitude is delusional 

Debbie_Jim0
Level 3
Wrightsville Beach, NC

I did not notice a new review process; if you are talking about how maybe it is weighted, say you have 50 guests all w/ 50 5-stars, one guy comes in late in the season and gives a 4.8 on everything, as you say sometimes people take our their own anger on we, their hosts, after having everything exactly the same as always, then this could be your situation, too.

It caused us to also lose the little host medal we were so proud to gain in our first year of Airbnb, and are disappointed.  We don't even see a complaint!  He had only old us if we see a siver watch lying around, could we please contact him and we said of course we would be happy to even ship it to him. Go figure.  It had to be him.  It brought all ratings from 5.0 to 4.8, no Super Host, no worries, we do the best of everything that we can; good luck!  I meanwhile, am keeping on with it, knowing life is as it comes, people are who they are.  Take care.

Dev4
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

Thanks Lisa for posting the message. I definately hear you. I have received 3 star and 5 star review from two different guests, who stayed one after the other and there were no upgrades to the property. I tried to reason with the guest, who gave 3 star, as I offered her early check-in and late check-out. But after a while, I realized that it is impossible to please all the guests.

I feel that Airbnb has an more parameters for review of the hosts vs. guests. I am usually very generous with my guests and try to accomodate their requests. It really hurts when someone is really picky and gives us a bad rating for a very minor thing, which won't even affect their overall stay.

@Dev4Exactly.  The guests have all the advantage in the world for being able to smash the hosts and, honestly, it shouldn't be that way.  If Airbnb is going to add things like "smells" and "air quality" to the listing reviews, then when a guest clicks on those a pop up should come up and say "You stayed in someone else's house for only 30 Euros per night.  Do you really want to complain about AIR QUALITY??"  LOL.  One guest just decided to be a jerk and leave us all 2 star ratings for absolutely no reason... but gave a 5 star as an overall rating.  This was 2 years ago so the new review process wasn't available at that time, but imagine if that guy  had the opportunity to bash us with "smells" and "air quality".  I think I would've had to kill him, haha.  But seriously, it's too much.  This is Airbnb, not Trip Advisor.  Basic star ratings for guests is MORE than enough.  I also think that "check in" should be a rating that hosts should be able to leave for guests.  We have guests that check in HOURS after they tell me they are arriving.  One guest arrived 4 hours before she told me she was coming and another guest was still here.  I would've loved to have given her a 1 star for "check in" for that.  She also wanted to take a shower immediately but wouldn't do it until after we cleaned the shower.  I looked at her and said 'Its 10 am.  you're not supposed to check in until 2.  if you're going to be here now, you're on OUR time."

@Lisa367

You have had a series of "difficult" guests. Introduction of "smell" and "air quality" inn guest reviews is too much. I had a guest who threathened to sue me because she felt that the unit was smelly and her partner was not feeling well as a result. So I offered her full refund to discontinue her stay. She insisted that she will continue her stay for a 50% discount. I was shocked. It is a cheap tactic to get discount. If I had let them continue the stay, then they would have definately given a bad review.

Airbnb has a big focus on "guest" journey and experience. They are improving the platform for hosts too, but we play second fiddle to the guests.

See, @Casadell discussed her boundaries, which are not held up or stuck-to....she let people check in wiithout notice??  

It is clearly explained for Airbnb hosts and guests to read the rules as they agree to stay, and if they would to call with an ETA with 90 minutes warning, that is what we do.  YES people have asked, and some had to shower and change for a wedding that the guy was in as best man!  So we were able to accomodate him, as the bnb had been prepped for him a day early.   We can't do that nor do we do it for people who just simply want to check in; if one goes by rules set, and stays with that, then no one will hold it against you!

Gina32
Level 10
Bridport, Australia

@Lisa367 I totally understand where you are coming from on this.

We also have guests who say they will arrive at a certain time and then choose to do something completely different, leaving us waiting.

No we cannot please all the people all the time...none of us ever will I'm sure.

I have even picked people up from the airport, taken them to the nearest supermarket so they can get supplies, shown them around the city so they can get their bearings, and guess what? not one has mentioned any of that in any review!

The review system is not kind to hosts at all. Yes it is skewed to let Guests complain about the slightest thing which they decide to find an irritation.

Our latest 3 star review just had "good location" ( that's a change 🙂 they usually complain about that first) I sent a request for more information. It came back with we did not feel welcome, we did not like the rules, we did not like the little notes everywhere (yes I do have to have four of these, because people do silly things at my place) like reminding them to lock the doors, No they cannot light a fire in the lounge room, in the old fireplace, and please do not get lots of water on the bathroom floor. 

Often I walk into the bathroom and find it slippery with water - lots of it everywhere. I found out the cause, some people put the shower curtain outside the bath to have a shower!!!!!

Sometimes I go to the house and find the doors unlocked after they have checked out.

And in some of my apartments I find they light the fires and let the carpet burn.

Some might say I leave helpful notes, so the guests will know how to do the right thing whilst staying in my home. Others, you see don't like being reminded that I have expectations of guests, and they don't know how to be respectful.

I'm glad we get to discuss this amonst ourselves, and hope Airbnb are watching and listening.

Hey Gina- Maybe your guests didn't like seeing little notes put in various locations because it doesn't make it homey looking?  I have my house rules on line and then I have a list of helpful hints/additional info in the apt for them when they arrive.  I update the list regularly from the feedback I get from guests.  They all appreciate it.

@Dawn-And-Jerry0 I do that too, but then found the doors unlocked etc etc.

Debbie_Jim0
Level 3
Wrightsville Beach, NC

Casadell, I think and feel it is totally unprofessional and NOT how we as hosts are asked or allowed even to behave.

It is clear that you broke rules, they carry their pride of honesty and people having safe homes for them....I don't know why someone rated me lower, we ponder it, and figure it had to do with the person, not our worries.  We did the same for every guest, almost all 5 stars, never asked for any ratings, that is a negative picture of how we are at Airnb here.  Namaste

@Debbie_Jim0

I am not sure if I understand your comment of "I broke the house rules". Because Airbnb is such an open system, both the parties can take undue advantage of each other. As a host, I am willing to cut my losses to avoid any long term implications. So I decided to refund the customer the full amount. 

Debbie_Jim0
Level 3
Wrightsville Beach, NC

It's cool, not into discussing how I run my Airbnb so you can do it by the book or not.  Personally I like to know ahead of time, and ask for the ETA, it's a form of staying informed, and not letting also, people check in early if you haven't cleaned yet.  That really doesn't make sense, and yes it's a rule that you have a check in time.  Sure you can allow them in yet you may be rated for your cleanliness of the space.  That's all!  Peace, out

@Debbie_Jim0

Ofcourse, this is forum to learn from each other about the best practises. After all, each situation is different and we as hosts have to react to it.