New Extensive Review Process

Lisa367
Level 10
Catania, Italy

New Extensive Review Process

I am a superhost on Airbnb and recently rented an apartment as a guest.  Has anyone else noticed the new very extensive review process that Airbnb has implimented?  As a host, it's really frustrating because this is where people get the most passive aggressive.  As a host, you're already scrutinized over everything, but to really allow the guests to dig deep into each individual aspect of their stay (ie:  "smells" and "sounds", REALLY??) is really problematic.  For example, our last guest left a private review that there was a "nauseating smell of burnt meat" on the "cleanliness/smells" star.  First of all, we didn't cook at all while this guest was in our house, she must have smelled one of the neighbors cooking, and second of all, we're in Sicily, so there are definitely going to be food smells coming in from all angles at certain times a day.  This feedback really bothered me because it was unnecessary and obviously had nothing to do with us since it wasn't even coming from our house.  I would've preferred these guests just keep these types of thoughts to themselves and enter it in the private feedback to me, rather than giving them the option of selecting specific things to complain about.  As a host who has new guests almost every 2 days, the last thing I need to hear is random complaining from guests about very little things.  Obviously as a superhost, I do my best to make sure their stay is 100% comfortable.  My feelings are also important and I don't need to hear every two days something really small and meaningless that I can't control (like food smells in Italy).  Reading passive aggressive feedback actually makes me really upset and I'm getting to the point where I really just don't want to bother hosting anymore.  I'd prefer going back to the basic rating system.  It's faster for the guest to leave reviews and much less harsh on the host.

307 Replies 307
Zacharias0
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

@Lisa367I completely understand where you are coming from. My most recent guest said the sound of air from the a/c vents caused her not to get sleep and somehow she inspected my cat for pet dander and wanted a refund. REALLY? Get out of my house. I've taken a step back from hosting as the challenges and expectations are more onerous than necessary.

Gregor7
Level 2
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Hi Lisa, I feel your pain....I have lost my 'Super-Host' status because 3 guests complained I was too far from the city centre, despite the fact I state in my description that we are 15/20 minutes away by bus or 30 minute walk and they can see where we are on the map!! As you say the review process almost encourages them to complain about small details that they probably wouldn't have thought of had they not been prompted to do so. My rooms are priced to reflect the quality and location and so are most of the city centre locations, normally around 50-100% more than I charge. My rate is lower than the hostels in the city where they would have dorms, bunks and sharing facilities with 20 plus strangers however a guest recently accused me of being expensive (they were a group of four paying approximately £17 each for bed and breakfast, wifi, bedding etc). As you said it makes you want to give up, I am doing this for a bit of fun and really looking to cover costs and earn some 'pocket money' so when I get unfounded complaints it really sucks my will to live. I have just under 300 reviews with 75% 5 stars and 22% 4 stars with virtually everyone giving very positive feedback, even to the point where I am commended for my location which is what these three guests complained about. My view now is the 'Super-Host' status is more of a burden than and accolade so while I will continue striving to give my guests the best service and experience I can, I am not going to get hung up on my 'status'!

Gregor, Edinburgh.

Hi there 

on top of what you said and the fact that not even God can please every one, so how could we? Given that there will always be someone complaing about small things, reflecting their complains in a lower # of starts. What i  find really disappointing is the kind of threatening  messages Airbnb sends afterwards and also the fact that it is not possible to contact directly Airbnb (or at least I haven't found a way so far) whenever you have an issue. 

I think the overall rating should be weighted and one bad comment should not affect the overall status. 

Margherita says: "I think the overall rating should be weighted and one bad comment should not affect the overall status."   I agree and also bad comment made by guest -novice user of AirBnb cought not be same weight as non-novice experienced guest.  because tree stars given you from person  that did not read rulers - it is nonsence

@Margherita29the airbnb direct phone number is +1 415 800 5959.  You are most welcome!

@Margherita29 I have their toll free number for the US.  It is on the website under contact us.  855-424-7262

thanks, 

The irony 🙂 ........on a thread where hosts are complaining about how guests don't read there listing before booking, we have hosts that don't look at the website ...........s'pose it is easier to get someone else to do it for you. 😉

Crustt0
Level 5
Apollo Bay, Australia

@Gregor7 Sometimes guests aren't complaining, they are just stating a fact, like your 1/2 an hour from the city. Why the did they book there? Because it was the closest they could get in there price range, all the places they'd like to book were already booked because they are closer to the city.

Why did they give you 3 stars for value an 5 for everything else when you are one of the cheaper places in your area? Because your area is an expnsive area to stay and yours is the only place that they stayed in that area, so they can't compare your place with another local place, all they know is that they got better (pecieved) value the night before in another state.

Before the review became King, alot of smaller motels did not really want a 5 star rating and were happy to have 3 1/2 to 4 stars as guests have high expectations(sometime to high) when they book 5 star accomodation and they end up a bit dissapointed regardless of the price.

@Gregor7  You can ask to have a unfair negative review removed!  Airbnb is quite fair.

Anne354
Level 1
New South Wales, Australia

I am a host and I just received today a review that was stating things out of context and making things worse than what actually occurred. This lady appeared to be on a mission to say negative things about our holiday home. She was malicious, vindictive and a liar. What protection do we have against these types of people?

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Anne354

Your guest (Mira?) left you a short and very positive review. Looks like you had unfortunately not paid attention to the fact that her criticism would have been diplomatically placed in the Private part of her review - which is just that: PRIVATE, thus not visible to anybody but you.

Because you left an overly wordy  public response addressing these points, it now draws attention to weak points like a major slap in the face. Even had the the critique been public, a shorter, unemotional  and more neutral response would have been more  professional. Hopefully new guests won't be scared away and new bookings will have it dropped away to the bottom of the page and further back soon enough. 

Remember, public reactions say more about the host themselves than many hosts realize.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Anne354

@Andrea9 response to you is completely accurate! You Anne are the one to come out of this with 'egg on your face' by bring private statements into the public arena! Anyone else who reads your reviews would see this guests short but quite nice review, and see your 1,000 + word tirade and go......."What th"!!!!!!

Anne, you have broken every rule about the diplomatic handling of reviews and I am afraid you are going to have to suffer the consequences of that epistle as long as you host! It can't be removed now, and most prospective guests will see that and say to themselves..."No thanks, I certainly don't need any of that"!

You must learn to take criticism, after all you certainly know how to give it! Always take a few deep breaths, give it a day or so to let all that emotion drain away and give a BRIEF diplomatic response....and for goodness sake keep private conversations private. That poor woman was trying to give you constructive advice without involving the world....and you crucified her....Shhheeeee!!

Great response on your part Andrea....but I would never expect anything less from you!

Cheers....Rob

@Yen-and-Robin0

Robin,

So well said. You are pure gold.

I've had to bite my tongue at times, smile in response, and above all -

keep my words brief.

Robin, please contact us if you wish.

Search for 'Homebase1:Nara,Kyoto,Osaka,Kobe' in any search engine or the form

on 'AcademicPressJapan'

Sincerely,

Dunny

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Dunny0

Thanks for the comments, at times I do have possibly too much to say but, some things are blindingly obvious. 

When a guest leaves a review most understand enough about the system to realise many people will see that review, and in most instances will try to put a pleasant front on what they say. If they feel that things could have been better, but they basically enjoyed their stay, they will just leave it at that. That's what I would do, and I am sure you would too!!

In that situation when they leave private feedback they will almost always mention things that could possibly be improved upon....in most instances, not so much as a criticism, more as a constructive comment....... and they do this because it is 'private'!

Any host who chooses to dig up this buried commentary and thrust it out there into the public gaze, is not a host that I would want to have anything to do with.

@Dunny0 I have made a number of comments on how public conversations should be handled including this thread...

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/Hosts/How-to-handle-those-difficult-reviews/m-p/316104#U316104

but you just can't get the message across to some.

I am interested in anything that will make the hosting community stronger and help hosts from making mistakes. We, as a community do appear as though we are becoming more isolated from the organisation that is supposed to be supporting us and if you have something that can help us...then Dunny....I am all ears!

Cheers.....Rob

PS: If you want to see the antipathy of what I am talking about have a look at this.....I have had to edit some personal bits.

Bad response.png