New Extensive Review Process

Lisa367
Level 10
Catania, Italy

New Extensive Review Process

I am a superhost on Airbnb and recently rented an apartment as a guest.  Has anyone else noticed the new very extensive review process that Airbnb has implimented?  As a host, it's really frustrating because this is where people get the most passive aggressive.  As a host, you're already scrutinized over everything, but to really allow the guests to dig deep into each individual aspect of their stay (ie:  "smells" and "sounds", REALLY??) is really problematic.  For example, our last guest left a private review that there was a "nauseating smell of burnt meat" on the "cleanliness/smells" star.  First of all, we didn't cook at all while this guest was in our house, she must have smelled one of the neighbors cooking, and second of all, we're in Sicily, so there are definitely going to be food smells coming in from all angles at certain times a day.  This feedback really bothered me because it was unnecessary and obviously had nothing to do with us since it wasn't even coming from our house.  I would've preferred these guests just keep these types of thoughts to themselves and enter it in the private feedback to me, rather than giving them the option of selecting specific things to complain about.  As a host who has new guests almost every 2 days, the last thing I need to hear is random complaining from guests about very little things.  Obviously as a superhost, I do my best to make sure their stay is 100% comfortable.  My feelings are also important and I don't need to hear every two days something really small and meaningless that I can't control (like food smells in Italy).  Reading passive aggressive feedback actually makes me really upset and I'm getting to the point where I really just don't want to bother hosting anymore.  I'd prefer going back to the basic rating system.  It's faster for the guest to leave reviews and much less harsh on the host.

307 Replies 307

@Yen-and-Robin0

Hello Robin,

Thank you for your very well-expressed post.

So glad that you are "all ears"! I am looking for a way to carry on discussions, get constructive feedback 

without always being on this forum thread. I stepped on toes today - last thing I want to do.

I've run our concept and costs by a number of people. All react positively. 

It can fit into hosting activity a number of ways 

1) sources of guests who otherwise would not try ABB and others

2) groups more than singles, couples

3) guest interests and host interests more closely aligned

4) discussion prior to all reserving

5) total control in the hands of hosts; no big corporations

6) small groups of host (of 20-30 members) to maintain mutual support (like a hobby club)

7) linked networks of such small familiar groups (usually along a theme, ie. photographers)

Way more. We need feedback from interested hosts, what they like, don't like.

Aim to keep things simple, fast, effective, based on trust and ethics of group members amongst themselves.

Cost - low. Funds are for software creation, maintenance, updates, upgrades. Not for campaigns, not for

investing, not for wealth production. Think 70. US , then about 25.US for annual updates. Upgrades similar.

Starting feedback with large youth charity organisations shortly, hoping for feedback interaction

with ABB hosts asap.

Cheers.

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Dunny0

Happy to see an initiative aiming at resurrecting the initial home hosting idea, now that the Airbnb platform is leaving it behind more and more.

If you're planning on

- expanding outside the US and

- for hosts with only a room for two

I'd love to be kept in the loop about development, costs, joining!

Pm me if you'd like my email!

Andrea in Amsterdam - thank you for replying!

Encouraging. Love Amsterdam, cycle-toured there to Denmark 1980.

We have a publishing site at 'AcademicPressJapan' that has a contact form.

using that as a contact point off this forum, so as not to overly bother the forum posters.

Definitely welcome your interest, feedback. Will start this week on gaining feedback from

a worldwide organisation involved in organic gardening, social neighbourhood planning,

charity, health. Most of the folks posting onthe threads presently are remarkably upright

decent experienced people. Their ethics, attitudes are perfect.

Looking out for a 'hi' . I promise to respond right away with an outline, details. Will

answer any questions. I've been teaching at colleges here 32 years. Almost retired.

All the best,

Dunny

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Dunny0

In my hast I forgot to say 'hi' on my message on your publishing site 😕

but you now  have my email  🙂

Sounds like you had quite the cycle marathon!

Isabela12
Level 2
Montreal, Canada

IMO, Airbnb guests should be different from those staying at Hotels (hence they pay waaay cheaper). Now, it's annoying and frustrating this unnecessary pressure Airbnb imposes to be a super host with perfect, 5-star scores.

Is there another website like Airbnb where I can list my space without this hassle? I am looking. And seriously considering host non-demanding couchsurfers instead 

I am listed wth both Airnb and Travel Advisor/Flipkey - airbnb is getting a bit out there - while Flipkey is getting better 🙂

Isabela,

Bonjour a Montreal.

Nous avons les memes idees.

We have the same thoughts. Just take in nice folks for free.

But first - we have a better more wonderful Canadian/Quebecois idea.

Moi, je suis de L'ile Ouest et de Saguenay il ya 50-60 ans.

Maintenant au Japon. Host a 'Homebase1:Nara,Kyoto,Osaka,Kobe' ou

a 'AcademicPressJapan'

salut

Dunny

Fidel2
Level 2
Hialeah, FL

1. Yes on the on the review I try to pleas my guest in every which way that I can but I even had a guest complain about a parking spot in the building that I did not build nor did I build the parking spot really come on thanks 
Fran2
Level 10
Launceston, Australia

As a host I would really like to see the questions being asked by Airbnb to the guests. I have noticed a change with more detailed reviewing as if they are answering a list of questions.

I had a recent group of 9, paid for 6 but I OK'd an extra 2 with a tent on my lawn. They bought one more teenager, parked 2 cars, a trailer, a tent and 2 sleeping swags in front of the accomodation then complained about privacy in the public review!!  

No thanks for being allowed to brjing extras for no charge nor any offer towards power and water. I have them them on my list now!!!

Hi everyone 

I think this discussion is extremely interesting and some important point have emerged

until we discuss among ourselves these will remain just comments or complainings from our side. Someone wrote that both guests and hosts are Airbnb customers, so as customers do we have any way /chance to channel this discussion to Airbnb board?

@Fran2I recently stayed at an apartment in Israel and had to fill out the review process after checkout.    Basically it takes you through the star process but breaks each star down to complain about little things.  For example, the Cleanliness star, after you select 1-5 a popup comes up that says "Be specific, were there any other things you'd like to tell your host about?  Was there a bad smell?  Was there pet hair?  Did you find lint in the corners of the walls?"   They do that on every star ratings, so "arrival", "Accuracy", "location", etc.  Every star you get a popup asking you to be more specific.  It's really **bleep** disgusting.  We're Airbnb hosts, I'm not an **bleep** hotel manager.  My apartment is a 100 year old apartment in Sicily.  There will be lint in the corners, I promise you and it's about 80 years old and cemented to the marble floors.  I just lost my Superhost status two weeks ago because I had EVERYTHING superhost asks for, but one of my stars is 77% instead of 80%.   like, really??

Beyond irritating for sure!  And the biggest problem is the 'guest' gets to control the rating there is no conflict process!

Hi All,

I ask myself if this detailed invitation toward criticism and complaint is

super-well-designed, deliberate/intentional and built for purposes hosts

don't consider? I am contemplating this now, invite you to do the same.

It leads in the opposite direction of friendly hosting/guesting relations than

the original concept. It is way worse than even hotels. It's horrble.

Would anyone like to discuss building inexpensive different software to do hosting as in 

the original way? Good intentions here. I'm not an investor. I'm a host, too.

'Homebase1:Nara,Kyoto,Osaka,Kobe'

Dunny

Hiram2
Level 1
Puerto Rico

I Just find toi have the same issue in this case a guest from Sweden complaining about the Pool water was really cold...... This is Puerto Rico tropical island we must be seroius about this. Air bnb post me a massage about my account beeing at risk...  

Gregory11
Level 3
Ibiza, Spain

Dont foreget 10% of the population is either clinically insane or has suffered metal issuse at 1 time during there life - so if your unluck to have some as guests just remember this fact !    That is why 1 guest will give your place a 5 star rating then then the next guest the unhappy nutter complains about something illogical - you can not expect an illogical guest to be logical.

welcome to zoo called hosting 🙂