New Extensive Review Process

Lisa367
Level 10
Catania, Italy

New Extensive Review Process

I am a superhost on Airbnb and recently rented an apartment as a guest.  Has anyone else noticed the new very extensive review process that Airbnb has implimented?  As a host, it's really frustrating because this is where people get the most passive aggressive.  As a host, you're already scrutinized over everything, but to really allow the guests to dig deep into each individual aspect of their stay (ie:  "smells" and "sounds", REALLY??) is really problematic.  For example, our last guest left a private review that there was a "nauseating smell of burnt meat" on the "cleanliness/smells" star.  First of all, we didn't cook at all while this guest was in our house, she must have smelled one of the neighbors cooking, and second of all, we're in Sicily, so there are definitely going to be food smells coming in from all angles at certain times a day.  This feedback really bothered me because it was unnecessary and obviously had nothing to do with us since it wasn't even coming from our house.  I would've preferred these guests just keep these types of thoughts to themselves and enter it in the private feedback to me, rather than giving them the option of selecting specific things to complain about.  As a host who has new guests almost every 2 days, the last thing I need to hear is random complaining from guests about very little things.  Obviously as a superhost, I do my best to make sure their stay is 100% comfortable.  My feelings are also important and I don't need to hear every two days something really small and meaningless that I can't control (like food smells in Italy).  Reading passive aggressive feedback actually makes me really upset and I'm getting to the point where I really just don't want to bother hosting anymore.  I'd prefer going back to the basic rating system.  It's faster for the guest to leave reviews and much less harsh on the host.

307 Replies 307
Karen313
Level 10
San Clemente, CA

@Lisa367 I will totally trade with you sometime if you are ever interested. Lived in Rome for a summer as a house & pet sitter & it was one of the best experiences of my life! 

Debbie106
Level 5
Bradenton, FL

All my problems seem to come from guests not completely reading the description or house rules.  I am now asking them to confirm ahead of time that they have read the entire listing and house rules.  My next step is that Im going to book my own place for 1 night so that I can review what questions and ratings my guests are given.  The part that really bites is the low ratings on accuracy when the problem stems from the guests not reading the entire listing.  Also guests that are new to Airbnb need extra communication so that they are aware of all the details.  Ive been an Airbnb guest and had such a great experience I was inspired to list my own place.  I wasnt asked the same detailed questions at that time that my guests are now being asked.  As a result I have taken off the use of public spaces in my place such as the kitchen and laundry room.  If its going to get us a bad rating then its best that they stay out of these areas.

Great - thankyou for the tips. 🙂

Hi Gregory,

You write well, know the issues.

Please briefly post where you are (city, area) so 

anyone can contact you.

Us? Nara, Japan. Look for Homebase1:

Dunny

Home is Sydney Australia - Villas are Paros Greece and Ibiza Spain.

As another Host suggested regarding  Reviews - that correct mangerment of guests expections is very important - and as suggested from now onwards - I will send out to all my potiental guests before they book - a helpful reminder like this :-

As I am a Super Host I pride myself in being honest open helpful and imformative - have you checkout my Villas "Rules" and "other things to Note" found under my properties Description - The Space - then Other things to Note 🙂  As I try my best to make all guests happy and give you them all a dreamy holiday.  Thankyou in advance for reading these 2 important things.

That way I am covered - hopefully - from as hosts claim - that guests dont read their properties details - particularly Rules and Other things to Note section - which are the most important and most problematic for guests.   Its all a bit complex now - but AirBNB unlike FlipKey now believe that complex is better 😞  

Every day I send in a copy of my Review Problem complaint to AirBNB  Feedback AND Report a BUG  section under HELP - but I never get a reply - or even a "thanks for that - it sounds interesting - we will pass it on "  That is a bad sign of poor customer service and a company in trouble. I predict the Airbnb bubble will shrink in the future as other new websites get smarter and simple copy all the good pionts from the larger websites like Airbnb and Flipkey 🙂

Thanks Gregory, Will find you.

As for new websites, we are working with programmers now to take the best simple features

of these online accommodation agencies - to put control back in the hands of hosts, to emphasize the 

original concept of host/guest contact, familiarisation, mutual comfort in making a permanent inexpensive

parallel to any corporate entity acting as an agency. 

Every day these complexities and inconsistent service levels mean hosts are just numbers to the venture capitalist

investors. 

If curious, contact us at 'AcademicPressJapan' via the contact form.

Dunny

Brava Debbie.

You truly get it. 

Wish I could give you 100 likes, because everyone should read your solution.

You have pointed out the obvious: Letting guests use the kitchen and laundry invites higher scrutiny and invites abuse.

As a host is this what you really want? To worry about splatter from frying?

The gas stove left on unattended? The irresponsible water usage?

For me sharing a house. I choose the easy "NO".

I see in this thread so much frustration and confusion, with reason. But we all should take a step back and reflect - what is airbnb trying to do for us? Where is airbnb leading us?

Airbnb wants us to do what we do very well. For many of us that will mean simplyifing.

If we can't get 5 stars by maintaining a kitchen, we should not offer the kitchen.

If we can't control the kitchen odors of guests that bother other guests, we should not offer the kitchen.

If we can't get 5 stars for letting guests use a free washer and dryer, because we might grimace when that one abusive guest wants to do wash daily with hot water, we should not offer a free washer and dryer.

There, the solution is so simple.

It has become more and more obvious that Airbnb does want us to compete with hotels. So let's look to hotels for solutions.

In a comparatively priced hotel, do you get a kitchen? NO

In a compartively price hotel, do you get free laundry? NO

I admire hosts who want to provide kitchen and laundry, but I will concentrate on the guest's bedroom, bathroom and living areas.

Hopefully I will get less scolding from airbnb

Sabrina108
Level 3
Lisbon, Portugal

Hi All,

Kindly see if you guys support some of the following proposals that I made on Airbnb Host Voice:

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/Host-Voice/Two-Proposals-for-Airbnb-to-Consider-for-the-Hosts/idi-p/...

Thanks

Robbe0
Level 3
Ormond Beach, FL

Lisa,

I am a Superhost also and I am experiencing the same problem as you and I agree with you 110%!

Freshly0
Level 1
Auckland, New Zealand

I agreed with you Lisa. Guest should not be able to rate the property based on little things like smell, noise or the colour of the house and furnitures. Noise and smell particularly beyond your control if they come from outside.

Crustt0
Level 5
Apollo Bay, Australia

Yes, but that is the enviroment the property is in so it may be not controled by you, but it does affect a guests stay. If you have noisey neighbors or a nuclear power plant next door or a train line, you can't contol it but.....................

Gina32
Level 10
Bridport, Australia

@Crustt0 But...you are encouraged to put all that in your listing, giving the guest the opportunity to be informed before choosing to stay. But if they can't read it is not your fault, surely.

Crustt0
Level 5
Apollo Bay, Australia

@Gina32, but when the guest says your place is peaceful and quiet and close to the shops, that's okay.

Positive or negitive they're just stating a fact, letting other travellers know it wasinconvinient or whatever for them, it's nothing personal, very rarly is anairbnb customer a regular.  

Ma0
Level 7
Los Angeles, CA

I am a host and I was also a guest some time ago before the detaied reviews possibility (smell etc.)

even then i thought the review system for guests actualy encourage guests to write negative review ,the review system actualy 

telling guests they are helping hosts to be better hosts if they will point out what is wrong. i also was super host for many years and I am considering giving up hosting all together. Airbnb changed so much and with the success also bad guests showing up who have un realistic expectations, many bad appeles and many who think 5 stars reviews means they should have 5 stars hotel experiance. I notice the quality of guests are getting worse and worse which in the begining of hosting the guests were a delight to have in my home. i am with you on this and it will be nice if Airbnb will consider hosts too after all hosts are huge contributer to Airbnb success right?

Gina32
Level 10
Bridport, Australia

@Ma0 Yes exactly what everyone is saying, and it is great to gather the sentiments from around the world. Hosts are the only contributors to ABB success with you they do not have a product.