Sharing the Family-friendly amenities feature

Answered!
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

Sharing the Family-friendly amenities feature

I was perusing my Amenities section today and noticed a new group of Amenities geared toward Families.  While we're not "family- friendly," I thought other hosts who do enjoy hosting families/children would like to know about this new feature...

Family Amenities.png

1 Best Answer
Jim-and-Marcia0
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

I saw that too. We're family friendly, but don't provide all, or even half of the items on that list. Parents used to travel with their own "pack n play" travel crib and other things for their little ones. We've noticed an increase in the number of people who ask, or even expect, us to provide a travel crib. Although travel cribs don't cost that much, there's extra work involved in setting up, taking down, and cleaning a travel crib. Not to mention the additional liability if something happened to the child while using our equipment.

We would incur extra cost and extra work if we provided the items on the family amenities list. And infants/toddlers aren't even covered now in the guest count! We're starting to feel uncomfortable about even listing our place as family friendly if parents expect us to be equipped in this way. In a way, Airbnb is raising the expectations of the guests. Has the hotel industry already set this as a precent?

View Best Answer in original post

10 Replies 10

Interesting, and a good idea. It is not showing up on my admin yet, though. Thanks for letting us know about this change.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing this @Cynthia-and-Chris1 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Berenice-and-Raphaël0
Level 2
Puerto Escondido, Mexico

I wish I had all that for my own children!

Lisa36
Level 5
Australia

I don't have it in amenitites.  How can that?

Jim-and-Marcia0
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

I saw that too. We're family friendly, but don't provide all, or even half of the items on that list. Parents used to travel with their own "pack n play" travel crib and other things for their little ones. We've noticed an increase in the number of people who ask, or even expect, us to provide a travel crib. Although travel cribs don't cost that much, there's extra work involved in setting up, taking down, and cleaning a travel crib. Not to mention the additional liability if something happened to the child while using our equipment.

We would incur extra cost and extra work if we provided the items on the family amenities list. And infants/toddlers aren't even covered now in the guest count! We're starting to feel uncomfortable about even listing our place as family friendly if parents expect us to be equipped in this way. In a way, Airbnb is raising the expectations of the guests. Has the hotel industry already set this as a precent?

To answer your question, yes - virtually ALL hotels offer a pack n play now. Maybe not the other stuff, but that's pretty basic. If traveling with an infant you HAVE to have a safe place for it to sleep (virtually everything else can be gone without or brought) and they're pretty big items to travel with, not really possible unless driving.

Julia66
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

This is a useful feature as it potentially limits the expectations of guests with infants/children going to family-friendly accommodation and supports those hosts who don't tick the Suitable for infants/children box.

Kelly333
Level 2
Portland, OR

I'm creating my listing and don't see the option to edit family amenities.  But, I do see the "preview" showing family amenities.  I do have these amenities and want to revise my listing so I can display these family friendly amenities but the option to edit doesn't display.  Is this a bug?

I am having the same issues!

Kim422
Level 1
La Cañada Flintridge, CA

I am having the same problem with creating my listing.  I see many amenities that I do have specifically crossed out and would like to edit that.  Anyone have an update on this?