New Guest Requirement for listings - No Negative Reviews (Feature Request)

Chris225
Level 5
Flagstaff, AZ

New Guest Requirement for listings - No Negative Reviews (Feature Request)

Hi all, Upon reviewing and reflecting on "Guest Requirements" for our listings. I feel AirBnB hosts could greatly benifit from a new option:

No Negative Reviews

In my mind this would allow new users to book your listing, instead of filtering them out from seeing your property. I've submitted feedback to AirBnB Customer support and via the feedback webpage. If you find that this may help you too, I ask you to take the time and submit this feedback. Please see my personal response below:

I would like to see an additional option under Guest Requirements. Currently there is:

Recommendation from other hosts
These guests have traveled on Airbnb, are recommended by other hosts, and have no negative reviews.

However, selecting this warns a host that:
"Improve your chances of getting booked
Requiring host recommendations means that new guests can’t book instantly. 98% of new guests are positively reviewed after their first trip."

Could there be an additional option that is:
No Negative Reviews from other hosts
These guests have not received negative feedback (i.e. not recommended by other hosts) but also may not have received positive feedback (as in a new user). This will allow new guests and experienced guests that have not had any negative reviews by hosts to book your listing.

Thank you,
Chris

https://www.airbnb.com/help/feedback

9 Replies 9
Genoveva2
Level 5
Los Angeles, CA

Confusing? 

No negative reviews? 

Are you takking about % wise or actually “no negative reviews?” What’s a negative review? A one star? A two star? A three star? 

So you are saying that that the host could be searched by their reviews on their property rather then what their actual property has to offer? 

From my experience you can’t pelase everybody... and while I don’t have any 1 or 2 star ratings I have had a couple three in the past. With 98% being positive reviews.... 

Please ellaborate. 

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Chris225

I am not clear on what you are proposing - is it that you don't want anyone who may have been an issue for a host?  In that case, hopefully they will have given them the thumbs down so they will automatically be excluded from booking with you. 

Putting the shoe on the other foot, and looking at it from a guest's perspective, which is where AirBnB is heading more and more these days. Are you saying that you are ok with being left out of searches where someone has marked you down to say, 4 out of 5, for location.

I know the rating systems is broken on both sides, but don't really understand how this improves anything...unless I have misunderstood your point.

Chris225
Level 5
Flagstaff, AZ

@Gerry-And-Rashid0@Genoveva2

Hopefully I can clear this up. This is for the hosting side.

Under a hosts listing, they have the option to only accept guests that have been recommended by other hosts. The option is under "Guest Requirements" and is called:

"Recommendation from other hosts

These guests have traveled on Airbnb, are recommended by other hosts, and have no negative reviews."

However, selecting this pops up a message and warns a host that:

"Improve your chances of getting booked
Requiring host recommendations means that new guests can’t book instantly. 98% of new guests are positively reviewed after their first trip."

So, in my understanding, this filters out all guests that:

1. Haven't been rated--such as a new user--because they haven't received any reviews, thus don't have any recommendations.

2. A guest that has received a not recommended status from a host

How does #2 work?

During review time, a host can rate by stars (1 to 5) a few areas, and they also give a thumbs up and thumbs down whether or not the host recommends the guest to other hosts. I believe that once a guest receives a thumbs down (not recommended), they will not be able to see a hosts property that filters their property and checkmarks that all guests must have a good standing to stay at their property via "Recommendation from other hosts".

What am I proposing?

You may ask why doesn't the current options already provide what you need? I would like #1 guests (new users; listed above) to be able to book my listing, while being able to sort out guests that are not recommended by hosts. Currently there is not an option to filter out guests with negative reviews, but allow those without reviews to book. Hence, I'm asking for a "No Negative Reviews" option under guest requirements. Meaning if a guest has received a review in which they are not recommended (thumbs down), they will not be able to view a property that has selected this option--which is simliar to what we have--but allow guests that have yet to receive any reviews.

Thanks!

Ahhhhhh! I see! Wow you are so right. I agree totally. 

@Genoveva2

Totally recommend leaving AirBnB some Feedback in that case!

https://www.airbnb.com/help/feedback

thanks for the link - feed back left. 

In case anyone want to copy/paste - here's what I sent:

Hello,

I am a host and have the Instant Book option turned on.

I would like to see a feature that allows me to block guests who have a negative review (thumbs down from a host) from booking my property, **without** blocking first time users from booking.

Thank you!

I would like guests with a negative review to result in me getting a requests,  just like a new user.   I was only a guest once and got a great review except a really rediculous remark in the review.    I understand that not all bad ratings are legitimate.

The other Issue is that if a host gives negative feedback to a bad acting guest they know where the host lives, or at least where the property is.

Airbnb should be giving maximum priority to the hosts.  We spend the money and put in the work to create the product.   Guests take no risks so we need maximum protections!

Seth71
Level 1
Jim Thorpe, PA

I want to require multiple positive reviews for guests to auto check in.   4-5 stars.   I occassionally get wierd last minute requests in the middle of the night which is a major red flag where I live.   Anyone, can get one good review.

I want to set my auto check in to require three or more positive reviews.

Also, the responses comparing guest reviews to host reviews are not logical.  The host takes all the risks.

Airbnb has been great for me, yet their anti-host policies that are starting is a major concern. 

Seth

Michelle1022
Level 2
Winston-Salem, NC

That's interesting. Currently, if you have Instant Book turned on, can guests who don't meet your requirements still send you requests to book? Or do they not see your listing at all?