New Host- How Has Your Experience Been?

Luyen1
Level 2
Houston, TX

New Host- How Has Your Experience Been?

Hello AirBNB Family! 
My boyfriend and I are interested in becoming AirBNB hosts and plan on executing our plan around early 2021. We plan on purchasing and listing a 1bed/1bath apartment in the Houston area, as a short term rental property, using a corporate application. 

For the past few months, I have been doing rigorous research on the short term rental space. Due to Covid 19, I understand that it has affected the tourism rate and I was curious as to how current/new AirBNB host (with 1 or multiple properties) are tackling this pandemic, and how it has affected your book of business. I figured that 2021 would be a ideal time due to the IPO release date, and in hopes Covid-19 will stabilize by then. I watched YouTube videos and saw that people are still traveling locally and the demand for long term rentals has risen. I was hoping to get more local advice from the AirBNB community, so we can share insight.  Any advice is helpful and MUCH appreciated 🙂 

Thank you! 

2 Replies 2
Vivian860
Level 5
Richmond, ME

Good morning!

I have two units I rent; both have separate entrances. What I have found is that having spaces that are not shared (due to covid) is idealistic. My state requires a Maine Covid Form to be signed which I have my guests do, I get to see who my guests are, and then hand them over the key. I can do lock boxes but then I do not get to see my guests. I like to interact with them 1. I want to see if they might be suspicious 2. I want them to know I am on the premises and they can check me out if they feel I am also suspicious 3. If they are breaking a house rule; dogs, other guests, etc. 

I clean vigorously after each guest and let them know at check-in I do so.  I have kicked one guest out due to breaking a house rule; cannabis smoking. Be polite about things, welcoming and make sure to CLEAN!! I found that is a huge thing and also no sharing is another plus!

Hope you get to experience a wonderful time with AirBnB, Good Luck!

Lacey55
Level 2
West Monroe, LA

I started March 12th. Made super host in the final 2 weeks of the quarter.  I LOVE IT! It's become such a passion! I've only had one of 14 guests treat my place badly.  I've had a lot of repairs but that is because i converted a school bus and that is always gonna be a repair needed type place! I'm building a double lofted barn now.  Can't wait to add it to my listings!!! 

LACEY J.