New Host- How has your experience been?

Luyen1
Level 2
Houston, TX

New Host- How has your experience been?

Hello AirBNB Family!
My boyfriend and I are interested in becoming AirBNB Hosts and plan on executing our plan in early 2021. We plan on purchasing and listing a 1bed/1bath apartment in Houston, as a short term rental property, using a corporate application. 

For the past few month, I have been doing rigorous research on the short term rental

space. Due to Covid-19, I understand that it has really affected the tourism rate and I was curious as to how current and new AirBNB hosts (with 1 or multiple properties) are tackling this pandemic and how it has affected your book of business. I figured that 2021 would be an ideal time to enter due to the AirBNB’s IPO release date and in hopes Covid-19 will stabilize by then. I watched YouTube videos and saw that people are still a traveling locally and the demand for long term rentals has risen. I wanted to reach out to you guys to hear a more local perspective from the AIRBNB community so we can share insight! Any advice will be MUCH appreciated 🙂 

Thank You!

18 Replies 18
Anna9170
Level 10
Lloret de Mar, Spain

Just spend a week of your time and read this forum. You will immediately understand a lot, and you will draw a more accurate portrait of your guest. It is easier to answer specific questions, but most importantly, you will have more understanding of who you want to accept. And what problems you are ready to solve, and what exactly you want to refuse. 😉

@Luyen1  If you are considering allowing stays of a month or longer, make sure you are fully informed of your local laws concerning tenants' rights and evictions - Airbnb does not come to your rescue if they can't collect further payment from guests after the first 30 days.

Also be aware that Airbnb does not collect any form of security deposit on your behalf. The "Host Guarantee" is not a substitute for comprehensive home insurance with STR coverage.

If I could summarize the trends reported by US hosts since the pandemic began:  people are traveling shorter distances, favoring rural locations over inner cities. Entire Home hosts have been struggling with a severe increase in unpermitted parties (250% according to a recent NY TImes article), so tackling the pandemic also means more heavily vetting guests and keeping a watchful eye on the property at all times. Business travel is way down, but remote work is way up, so home-office features and strong WiFi are an advantage. Properties with pleasant outdoor space or close proximity to nature preferable during this time as we have no idea when urban attractions will regain their pre-Covid appeal.

Hello!!! Thank you so much for your advice. Really helped me understand the trends for STR and LTR 🙂 
Allow me to explain my current situation. 

have been rigorously saving for the past few years now.  I will be able to purchase my STR property without having to pull out any mortgage or loan. I have also made sure that I have financial emergency cushion. 

Currently my boyfriend and I are in a very fortunate situation that allows us to finish college, while paying little rent. (My parents own this rental house). I figured this is a great opportunity to invest my money into a STR property. I planned that if the STR property does not do well within the first few months, we would just move into the apartment. I’m still trying to do my research on everything! 

I will definitely keep in mind of how working professionals are still traveling during these times. Thank you!!

Bernardo Torres Real estate investor its Business is for riske person go forward i start this business with $350.00 dallards in 1989 and i retired 15 year ago just living excellent live in rental income in NY and i start in June 2020 renting my vacation home overseas and up to now i doing excellent income 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Main consideration- are you able to cover 100% of your costs if you don’t get the bookings you expect? 

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

We are booked solid. So much so that we can't enjoy our place the way we would like to!

We had a month where we basically shut down this year and relocated our whole menagerie to our cottage to enjoy it. Our space is in a rural location, in a county that had far fewer cases than its neighbors. We had MANY requests to book during the shutdown period from people misrepresenting their location and situation. We finally decided that it wasn't worth the hassle so we just used it ourselves. 

Our space is available really just to offset ownership costs. Despite everything this year we are at a break even point. Its our second year of hosting. But as @Anonymous mentioned we got super lucky. Ours is a whole house rental in a rural location close to major cities (1.5 hours from DC,  1 hour from Baltimore, 2.5 hours from Philadephia) and 20-30 minutes from smaller urban population centers like Frederick and Gettysburg, PA. Its charming and unique, suitable for a group of 4 or less, and pet friendly. We are close to hiking and skiing as well as wineries with outdoor seating. I don't think I could have picked a more "pandemic proof" property if I had tried.  

I have good friends who host in LA and New Orleans and they are still getting requests for stays, but they have seen some drop in their bookings. A lot of it depends on where you are, what kind of property you are offering and what your expectations of profit might be. 

Hi! Thank you for responding. Your advice was very helpful 🙂 I am glad that your experience during COVID 19 hasn’t been tragic. I agree that rural areas are more appealing to travelers. I wish you well!! 

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Luyen1 is STR legal in your location? What would you do if it became illegal?

im quite certain I would never purchase a property solely for STR. Too risky

Hello! Thank you for your advice!! 
have been rigorously saving for the past few years now.  I will be able to purchase my STR property without having to pull out any mortgage or loan. I have also made sure that I have financial emergency cushion. 

Currently my boyfriend and I are in a very fortunate situation that allows us to finish college, while paying little rent. (My parents own this rental house). I figured this is a great opportunity to invest my money into a STR property. I planned that if the STR property does not do well within the first few months, we would just move into the apartment. I’m still trying to do my research on everything! 

And In Houston, the STR must be 30 days or less. I chose to invest in an apartment for STR rather than house for LTR due to the maintenance risk associated with a house. Apartments are easier to manage.  

@Luyen1  everything is pretty risky right now. I might wait a bit-- at least until after the election. 

We are landlords as well as Airbnb hosts. We liquidated our last landlord/long term tenant property earlier this month as we did not want to try and rent it during the era of COVID rent forgiveness statutes--we didn't want to have to try and collect rent from people who had lost jobs nor did we relish carrying our properties without rental income. Our tenants all had leases ending or were breaking early to buy a home so it was good timing. We had planned on putting this last place up for sale in the spring of next year anyway. We just couldn't handle it as a STR as it is multiple units in a crowded marketplace where profits would not have been what we needed to cover the costs of furnishing and cleaning. It was time to let it go and cash out. 

After hosting for 2 years and being a landlord for the last 7, I can tell you that both have a lot of drawbacks. Hosting requires a lot more work to turn over on a regular basis. If you get good tenants (and that is a huge IF) landlording is easier. If you don't have good tenants,  being a landlord is an absolute hellscape. 

STR is usually a happier experience with people coming to your place on vacation or to see family and friends. If they are a pain in the behind, they are gone in a few days. If you keep your place party-free and limit your guest numbers and stay lengths you typically don't have terrible damage, though some clean ups can be worse than others. Airbnb is not a great partner to have your back as a host. The review situation is beyond annoying. There is a lot more emotional labor in hosting than there is in landlording. 

As a landlord, you generally don't hear from your tenants unless there is a problem. Some tenants resent that you own the property and they can't treat it in any way they want. Some think you are just greedy and overcharging them no matter how reasonable your rents. Some are great and take good care of the place-- those are usually the ones that you lose when they buy their own home. Many do damage that is expensive to repair. The legal costs can be very high if you have to evict someone. And you will need a well-drawn lease-- not one you pull off the internet. So that either means an attorney or the help of someone who is skilled in property management in your state. 

I love buying houses so my own investment portfolio is a little lopsided in favor of property ownership. But if I was starting out right now, I don't know that I would buy anything in the current market conditions. Its a great time to sell in my area but inventory is very low and prices are inflated for buyers. Wait and watch. Watch and wait. See what happens with the election. See what happens with a vaccine. See what happens with shutdowns. We have a nice nest egg we would love to reinvest but we won't make a move until we see what is happening in the next few months. 

As far as which is better-- STR or owning a place you rent as a landlord? Eh, its probably equally difficult but for different reasons. I would consider all options. Good luck!

Christina0
Level 5
Nevada, United States

I own my Airbnb outright, so I don't have to worry about paying a mortgage if something happens to the Airbnb platform or the STR status in my area. I would strongly caution against you or anyone taking out a mortgage for a STR especially with someone who is not your business partner or someone you are not married to.

Hello!  Thank you so much for your advice! 

Currently my boyfriend and I are in a very fortunate situation that allows us to finish college, while paying little rent. (My parents own this rental house). I figured this is a great opportunity to invest my money into a STR property. I planned that if the STR property does not do well within the first few months, we would just move into the apartment. I’m still trying to do my research on everything! Thank you for responding 🙂 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

There's no need to cut and paste the same response 3 times in a thread. When users have posting in or are following a thread, they receive a notification of new posts in that thread, so all of the posters you posted the same reply to would have seen the original reply the first time.

@Luyen1

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Luyen1 Good to hear you like to do research, for here you will find a wealth of information written over the last few years. Take your sweet time while the dust settles over the next 2-3 months. Nov. 3rd of course will be a fork on the road for the nation, and that bears watching very closely and definitely fully understanding.