New Instant Book Cancellation Policy

New Instant Book Cancellation Policy

Did you know they changed the amount of penalty-free cancellations you can have as an Instant Book Host to UNLIMITED? 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/990/i-m-a-host--what-penalties-apply-if-i-need-to-cancel-a-reser...

52 Replies 52
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

@Mandi-S-Just-Business-Ro0

Hmm...

I become more and more convinced that some AirBnB Employees just make it up as they go along.

The 3 strikes and out policy was the old one not the new one and even AirBnB have to uphold their stated listed terms and conditions and can not change them on a whim.

David
Juanita18
Level 1
New Orleans, LA

I have auto pricing and just recieved an instant book reservation for $95/ night DURING HALLOWEEN IN NEW ORLEANS. I'm very uncomfortable with that pricing and angry that their algorythm was so far off to adjust our pricing so low during a major event in town. Does that qualify for a cancellation without penalty?

@Juanita18

Sorry. No it doesn't. It has to be guest breaking house rules or they make you uncomfortable. Airbnb algorythms cannot know to adjust for every event in every town-it would have to be the responsibility of the host to monitor their listing and adjust pricing as necessary. I hope you don't cancel on this poor guest. It's not their fault-they found a good deal and jumped on it.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Alice-and-Jeff0 hey, so update...

I just entered a cancellation bc guest isn't communicating nor following house rules. The system message sent back "this is your second cancellation this year, you only have one penalty free cancellation left this year". After a 45 minute phone call to CS, the supervisor confirmed that something was wrong with the programming and indeed it should be unlimited for IB that is breaking House Rules, but she couldn't confirm why the programming is wrong. (btw, the first rep was adamant that the 3 cancellations policy was still in force, she was completely unaware of the unlimited policy change) If this comes up for any host, please call CS and be sure that they are indeed following the unlimited policy.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Alice-and-Jeff0 @Vanessa-and-Kurt0 @@Lizzie

update: just received this note from CS

"Hi Kelly,

Thanks for letting us know about the reservation that you have cancelled with your guests.

I do apologize for the confusion that it has caused you, but like what I have mentioned during our conversation you're understanding is right based on the information in our Help Center https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/990/i-m-a-host--what-penalties-apply-if-i-need-to-cancel-a-reser...

The system is only defaulted three times in cancelling a reservation. With this, will be needing to contact us to cancel the reservation for you.

Please let me know if you need further assistance."

so in other words, the help article is wrong, hosts may not cancel rule breaking reservations but rather must CALL CS to let Them cancel reservations as needed. 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Kelly149,

Thanks for highlighting this and for all the effort you have gone through to find out more, it is a really good spot. 

I will highlight this to the team.

Thanks again,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I would not even do the 3, put yourself at risk of being second guessed if you level of uncomfort matches that of AirBnB.

David
Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Vanessa-and-Kurt0@Juanita18@Monika64@Asya0@Mandi-S-Just-Business-Ro0@Mariann4@Nelson-and-Carla0@Yolanda79@Billy30@Steve263@Cate14

I know this discussion was started by @Alice-and-Jeff0 to update you on the cancellation policy with Instant Book, but as I have seen some of you have further questions surrounding Instant Book, I just wanted to highlight a recent post we have shared here in the Community Center: Answers to your top Instant Book Questions

I hope you find this helpful.

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.