New Review Flow for Guests

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

New Review Flow for Guests

New Review Flow

Hello everyone,

I know many of you have already noticed that Airbnb launched a new review flow, simplifying the process for guests to send more detailed feedback to hosts. There are already a few threads talking about this here in the CC and so I am really pleased to provide an overview of this product change for you.

We believe that detailed guest feedback is invaluable—whether it’s a rave review that encourages you to keep providing standout hospitality or a gentle reminder on how you can improve next time.

If a guest gives you less than five stars in any one category (cleanliness, accuracy and amenities, check-in, or communication), they can now choose from different focus areas in each category to help you know exactly why, and what to improve for the next time around.

To see what this process looks like, take a look at this Airbnb Blog article.

I hope this information will give you more insights around the new review flow. What do you think? Have any of your used the new review flow yet? Also, feel free to share any questions you might have on this.

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

183 Replies 183

You can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time.  Don't fret over this reality. 

@Ingrid55, I hope  you do comment about their unrealistic expectations (if the review period hasn't passed....) as a service to other hosts.  Something along the lines of "although I enjoyed hosting xxx, I did feel as though they would be happier in a well-appointed luxury hotel"    or something along those lines.  🙂

John498
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Has anybody noticed any improvement or disimprovements since the latest review system was introduced? I  have travelled twice recently and was able to give a five overall but mark them down on some areas. Most people don't seem to provide toothpaste or milk or bottled water for example even though it is airBNB. My first journey on arrival is always traipsing to a shop to get some basics so I amrk down accordingly. The latest system does seem to cover more areas. Ingrid, in terms of commenting wouldn't be a lot of back and forth? And who gets the last word? Paying customer or supplier?

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@John498 It's up to the host and the pricing as to what's provided.

Important to check the listing whether it's a BnB (Bed-no-Breakfast) or BnB (Bed 'n Breakfast) 🙂

If there's easy and close access to a food store as in most urban areas, guests can easily buy their own food preferences.

In Urban areas you can expect more chances of finding listings stocked with breakfast articles.

John498
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Andrea9 Hi Andrea, Yes I understand that. I think very few provide breakfast and many in my experience don't mention whether they provide anything. I understand that people might say stuff will go to waste and it is hard to manage supplies but I make sure I do for all guests even though there is a supermarket at the end of the road. I find it strange when the person staying there themselves when it is not rented wouldn't leave stuff like toothpaste and butter when it would be useable by themselves either at their place on in the rental unit. Might be just me of course 🙂

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@John498

"wouldn't leave stuff like toothpaste and butter when it would be useable by themselves either at their place on in the rental unit"

In the original idea of home sharing one easily imagines this as normal. In the years since Airbnb's air matrasse conception listings have become more and more professional (strongly encouraged by Airbnb themselves) and guests often unfamiliar with the original thought and only wanting to rent a cheaper place to stay.

That has led to much confusion. Guests seeing still useable but open products in fridge or bathroom feeling disgusted because they thought the space hadn't been cleaned properly due to these remnants of the prior guest. Result: bad review.

Or guests helping themselves to host's food in the fridge thinking it was for them. Result: bad feelings and probably bad review for guest.

Then there's the guests who lament (review alert!) there being only normal milk and bead etc. instead of fare for nutrition sensitivity.

Then there's all the food having to be wastefully thrown away if not used

That's why many hosts who even tried at the outset now don't bother opening that can of worms called 'food for guests'.

This is an easy fix.  We put a mini fridge in the airbnb room and made it clear that our family fridge, cabinets, etc are off limits.  We don't supply anything, guests get what they want for themselves - we also advise that we are not a restaurant and do not supply meals.  

@John498, you mark hosts down for not leaving milk, toothpaste, bottled water, butter ? I would not leave bottled water for environmental reasons, hosting in an area, where the tapwater is better than water staying in plastic for months. One guest every month or two takes a dew drops of milk. I buy ghe tiniest bottles available and use the rest to spray my plants with it. At leadt it helps against mildew and some insects. Most of my guests nowadays est neither yoghurt nor butter, I started eating soja myself, as soja yoghurts are just too expensive to throw out. At least the house manager has half a dozen grandkids, so the yoghurts , cereals, chocolats don't go to waste and I get an excellent service 😉 but from a commercial point of view, it's not reasonable to cater to all possible expectations. Funny thing, the milk aversions disappear often, if I share Frrnch cheese ... 

I got a small locked box for the shared bathroom, to lock in toothbrush and -paste and my brush. I consider toothpaste as a personal cosmetic or drug, especially if it's bought in a pharmacy at pharmacy price. And I made that test too, leaving a cheap one on offer. It's never used.  If a guest asks for it, because he really forgot his, I share mine. 

Even if "it's an airbnb" that does not mean a guest rents a magic castle, where roated pigeons fly into his mouth. He rents a clean bed in a clean space (whatever the formula), maybe with a breakfast and probably with towels. But all the rest cannot be taken for granted, it has to be found out by reading the description or asking. 

In the end, all extra services have to be paid, even if their price is hidden in the nightly rate. If you offer stuff for 5 or 10 euros or dollars, you have to add 5 or 10 to your rate, plus another 5 for grocery shopping and logistics. As a guests, you can get a toothpaste and a bottle of milk for the extra charges of a single night. And then some. 

Sorry, forgot to switch keyboard languages. Spellcheck went crazier than usual

John498
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Helga0Yes It definitely is different strokes for different folks. I am quite a generous marker myself as being a host I know what goes into it. I also don't like to trash people so try to focus on positives.I don't add in for toothpaste myself because a tube would last 50 guests. 

It is good that you share if asked.  Judicious buying can provide basics without costing the earth. I am also a rare bird a bloke that likes shopping 🙂

@John498, different styles indeed. I don't want to do "judicious shopping" for my guests, which in my mind translates to buying cheap junk and have that lay around till it reaches the day to throw it out. I bought a lot of cookies and chocolates for a while, out of childhood nostalgia, but even these are rarely taken. For the rest, if I use good quality, they get good quality, if I eat organic, they fet organic food (in a cheap shared room), but what is not included, like personal toiletries, is not included. 

Sorry, on the phone, I have to post tiny packages. Uncorrected ones. 

I think we should not try to become copies of hotels, with a lot of oh so pretty junk on offer, portion packs of toiletries to take home, and throw away 5 years later, soft drinks and water bottles to increase the plastic in the oceans where it destroys the biggest food ressources of the planet. If the water is not fit for consumption, then bottled water is a necessity, but otherwise it's just waste. 

I'm sure, you offer a lot of thinfs as a host and your guests certainly love it, as after 50 guests you get the guests which fit in best with you. But one model does not fit all. When you travel, you should be open to other ways to host or else read description and reviews with your expectations in mind. If a place attracts budget travelers, there will be no extras. It would be contraproductive for the host, as those guests feel they paid too much, if there is still margin for extras. If a place attracts people loving organic or environment topics or the isea of sharing, the unnecessary packaging or the ling travel routesfor products would offend those guests.  It may be an appropriate strategy for a listing instead of it lacking basics. And as said, "basics" is a difficult concept too. 

Ingrid, I agree! It's not fair that our host ratings get dinged by those who can't read our very detailed descriptions. A fix might be a complaint system offered to superhosts whereby a host could ask Airbnb to remove an incorrect rating from it's calculations if the host could point out the guest's error. It's descouraging to spell out every little detail with photos and words only to have guests overlook them and then complain and leave low ratings. The majority of guests are gracious and considerate of our homes, but like everything else, a few jerks can ruin the experience for everyone. Since ratings are the basis of Airbnb and hosts are essential to the success of the business model, hosts should be able to contest a rating if the review indicates the guest is clueless. A "review of the review" process would be a nice perk for suoerhosts.

If Airbnb would make this simple adjustment, I would be fine with their new "improvements" of the rating system.

Jen

I completely agree.   Air BNB needs to allow hosts a proper right of reply.

Joni2
Level 2
Waikoloa Village, HI

I agree with Rob 100%

I would like to know how to find reveiws for an upcoming guest? it says they have been with Abnb for 4 yrs but I can't seem to find reveiws on them?