New Superhost Criteria

New Superhost Criteria

It looks like a change is coming soon to receiving (and keeping) your Superhost status:

Coming in July 2018: updated rating requirement

• Current requirement: Receive a 5-star review at least 80% of the time
  • Updated requirement: Maintain a 4.8 overall rating

This change is meant to give hosts more flexibility in their review scores and allow for easier tracking. It will go into effect during the July 2018 assessment period.

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/829/how-do-i-become-a-superhost

15 Replies 15

Thanks for the update @Cristina-And-Daniel0!!

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing this @Cristina-And-Daniel0. 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Ekaterina33
Level 1
Berlin, Germany

Can someone please please please help me out? I am not sure I understand how exactly it will work.

Is the new system only taking into consideration the reviews from the last year, just like before? Or will it take overall rating since the beginning of your listing and calculate average between all of your listings in the last 3-4-5 years? 

@Ekaterina33 in general all the numbers used for SuperHost evaluations are from the most recent 365 days:

Overall rating, response rate, cancellations, trips hosted, trips reviews are all calculated based on the most recent 12 months.

Stephen444
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Doesn't this mean that with only 3 in 50 giving you 4* you will fail to make Superhost? (Or worse if anyone does 3* or less).

One issue I see at the moment is that guests are inconsistent in their ratings, and we hosts have to fawn over them to keep up the 5*, even some poor and disrespectful guests who will now go on to other hosts houses and not live up to their 5* ratings.

eg1. We were given 3* by a guest who says she ranks 3* for average, 4* for excellent and 5* for above and beyond, "for example I only gave 5* to one host who had dinner cooked for me and my family upon arrival" .... whoa!

eg2. We got 4* because a guest said he had to stand outside while trying to contact us to gain entry. However we sent lockbox instructions the day before as well as the instructions being in the house info.

eg3. We got 3* because the guest said the fridge magnets and guitar were a huge pain for his kinds. However the listing specifically says the house isn't kid friendly and to ask if you have questions about suitability.

@Stephen444 no, that is not the way the math works.

If you are lucky enough to only receive 5-star ratings and a few 4-star ratings, you can maintain a 4.8 average if 1 in 5 ratings is a 4-star. Therefore, for 50 ratings, you can have 10 4-star ratings and still be at 4.8 overall average.

Lucas-and-Mercedes0
Level 2
Buenos Aires, Argentina

Well. I was about to get my superhost status this July 1st  (everything looks great) until Airbnb suddenly decide to change the deadline evaluation to October 1st... wonder why

@Lucas0 & Mercedes 

@Lucas-and-Mercedes0 wrote:

Well. I was about to get my superhost status this July 1st  (everything looks great) until Airbnb suddenly decide to change the deadline evaluation to October 1st... wonder why

The review period is over for this quarter (July 1st), but AirBNB waits 14 days to ensure that all the guests you had during that quarter can leave a review and be counted. You should get an email around the 14th with your Super-or-Not status.

@Lucas-and-Mercedes0

You are still being evaluated for Superhost for July 1.

The evaluation takes at least 14 days (so all reviews are in), and then you may get an email in the days after that.

The new Oct 1 date is just Airbnb also telling you when the *next* evaluation period closes.

You are still in the running for July 1 Superhost.

Thanks for the reply. It make sense. We are new at this but I remember a message for the previous evaluation saying “in evaluation” (or so). We might get too anxious 😉

@Lucas-and-Mercedes0  On your Progess page for Opportunities you should see screenshots similar to below with your own ratings. If all your guest reviews for the month of June are in and you qualify per the requirements you will get your badge on July 15th.

Screenshot (67).png

Screenshot (68).png

The standards for SH increased 20%. The more you host, the greater the risk that somebody having a hissy fit will ding you with a 1-star just to be horrid.

Me? I started to look long and hard at those 1-stars. One of them was verifiable (by Air) as being out and out lies, because they worked closely with me to try to work things out with this guy. They had the grace to remove it.

Because we as hosts are under a great deal of pressure, i have no qualms about asking guests to tell me how to make their stay "5-star". Some people find that uncomfortable, but at the end of it all it's win/win for host and guest.

I

Audrey274
Level 2
Markinch, United Kingdom

The selection process to get superhost sucks. I have been hosting now for over a year and quickly gained our superhost badge,  it is now been taken off me.

We work really hard with our listing and make sure everything is just right for our guests.

We have been lucky to have a guest who comes every week and has done now on a weekly basis  for nearly a year now. Because of this we have lost our superhost status.  So be very careful if you have a regular guest , you have to keep your reviews up on that guest ,we actually run out of nice things to say about each other 😉 .

it’s an automated system and they say nothing can be done. Computer says NO!

airbnb you need more of a personal touch, with the hands that feed you!

I understand you but still you could have asked him to write an everything was great phrase and 5 stars. Be happy with the money. Superhost is overrated. Imo i wouldnt mind if they set the bar even higher