New Upfront Pricing is BAD

Sean119
Level 10
Blue Hill, ME

New Upfront Pricing is BAD

This is a bad idea.   There is actually LESS information for the guest to see charges and how they relate. AirBnb will see less bookings as a result.  In a recent survey AirBnb asked "what would it take to solely list with AirBnb"...this is perfect reason why we currently DON'T.  Our listing will get more bookings @ $299/night versus the new "upfront" price listed @ $398.  

66 Replies 66
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Jan248 @Stephanie1933 Surely the point of a trial is to see what method of pricing generates most bookings and customer satisfaction. Why not let the process work before demanding it is dropped.

Jan248
Level 4
Jaco, Costa Rica

@Mike-And-Jane0 When I contacted Superhost Support I was told that this is the new pricing format for my listings, nothing about a trial, so I don't know why you mention it is a trial... I think it is a done deal.  There has been no discussion and honestly the only benefit I can see is that Airbnb doesn't have to show their Booking Fees.  

In a little more than a week, since this new UPFRONT pricing, I have had no requests for rentals.  We are coming into our High Season in Costa Rica and historically this is when I get the lion's share of my bookings....  How long do we wait to see if this generates more bookings, how will they share results, how is the trial being quantified.. for a realistic test it would have to be a year's trial given that booking patterns differ by area... I can't afford that just so Airbnb doesn't have to be UPFRONT with their fees.  

Please someone explain to me how they see this helping hosts.  

@Jan248 Airbnb have many stupid policies and ideas but they are not financially stupid. If bookings are down they lose revenue - It is that simple. As such anything that damages revenue will not stay around for long.

Personally I don't see what all the fuss is about. Suggesting that hiding fees from guests until just before they book improves bookings also suggests guests are being conned. Do we really want to con our guests???

@Mike-And-Jane0,

I agree with you that it's not a real big deal, and the impact to complaining hosts will be leveled when upfront pricing is applied to all properties.  

Are you thinking all other hosting platforms will follow the up-front pricing strategy of ABB?  I would think the opposite, especially since they may see an increase in bookings.  

And has anyone considered how easily ABB could overnight increase their service charges and just quietly hide it in the "up-front price"?

I hadn't considered that but I guess it is now a moot point as my listing is back to the original too...  with everything fully disclosed!!   YESSSSS!!!!

Sean119
Level 10
Blue Hill, ME

UPDATE:  Seems ABB has switched my listings back to original per night/cleaning/tax/service fee pricing format.   How did I know?  Got our first ABB booking in over a week, so likely it was changed in the last 24 hours (I hadn't cared to look).  

Seems ABB didn't need very long to see that "up-front" pricing was a BAD idea.

ABB....the adventure never ends. 

Ricardo85
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Sean119 

Same here!!

No more "upfront price" on my listings.

Ricardo

Se você achou esta resposta útil não deixe de dar um "Like".

Meu Perfil.

Coloque "@Ricardo". Assim eu recebo uma notificação.

@Sean119   Thank you for starting this thread.... Good to see original view is back with full disclosure...  It happened overnight as I had checked it late last night...  

My first ABB booking in over a week was 1:13 EST, so go figure... 

Same with me. My first booking in almost 2 weeks occurred on Sunday morning 10/10 at 1:05 am.

Stephanie1933
Level 10
Christchurch, New Zealand

@Sean119 that is interesting, I got a booking yesterday too for the first time in a week! Coincidence, I think not!! 

Hope we continue to get bookings. All the best.

Zilla0
Level 3
Staunton, VA

@Sean119

I've been following the ups and downs of this for several days. Air goes back and forth listing the rentals as they normally do then going to the "all in one pricing" with no pricing on individual rentals till you put in dates. 

This changes several times a days. Just to be confusing to us all.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

Not trying to be a downer, but hosts should be aware that Airbnb will just as likely revert to or introduce a slight variation of upfront pricing without any notification.  For example, they announced that they had listened to hosts , and started to place the house rules at the top of the listing details.  Many hosts were happy with the change.  I don't believe that a couple of months past, and the house rules were silently relegated back to the bottom of the listing.

Kind of a downer...