New at hosting in mammoth

Albert1844
Level 2
Redlands, CA

New at hosting in mammoth

My kids and I have been snowboarding in mammoth since we’re born. Love the sierras so much I get very depressed when I drive away on the 395. Finally we purchased a condo we can’t afford with the hope to use it if we share it with Airb&b.

I just added into the platform and I don’t see many people booking at all, I was expecting if I put a reasonable price and being a good place will be at least booked over the week when we are not using it. 

I think I may didn’t listed well, are pictures good, description errors? Any seasoned hoster can take a look at point the obvious issues? https://www.airbnb.com/h/snowboard

thanks, I may be doing something wrong without knowing it? 

10 Replies 10
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Albert1844 your condo looks nice and your pricing looks in line with your competition. I would remove all of the family photos, and this: "My girls sometimes leave their stuffed animals and cozy blankets/pillows in the closet."  Correct the spelling of "hangars" ("hangers") and "those cold night[s]". Also consider professional photos; your photos are pretty good but not great. Once you get off the ground with some good reviews you'll probably find bookings perking up. Make sure your first reviews are great; check in with guests after they arrive to make sure their expectations are met and they know to contact you if they need anything at all (instead of staying silent and dinging you in the review after the fact). FWIW, I personally don't believe any host who commits to the impossible Airbnb covid cleaning protocol-- especially if they indicate they may leave personal items in the space.

@Albert1844 PS it looks like you might be using Airbnb's "smart pricing"? If so, proceed with great caution; it's notorious for under-pricing. (There are third-party pricing tools if you want automatic pricing. I've had great luck with Wheelhouse (usewheelhouse.com).)

Thank you Lisa so much, I’ll be looking for a Airbnb photographer as well as I have made the changes you recommended. I have also created an account at usewheelhouse, wished the had an app instead of a website. Looking to see if their price is better than mine. However, doesn’t tell me what percentage are they taking.

again, thanks so much, looks like there is lots to learn

@Albert1844 Wheelhouse offers 30 days for free (and if you like it you can use referral code e05oV for a $10 credit). For fewer than 10 listings the cost is 1%. I've found it to be very well worth it, but of course YMMV. People who are very good at pricing their own properties and willing to spend the time on it might do better than I did on my own.

Thanks!!! I’ll try it out

@Albert1844  Lisa has given good advice and I agree except on one point. I think your photos are great (do remove the personal ones though). Striking the right balance with listing photos is important. Often, pro photos will make a space look much better than it actually is. Yes, this may draw guests in, but when they arrive at the place, the result is often that they are disappointed, or feel the space was misrepresented. It's better to under promise and over deliver when it comes to photos, so that the guest gets there, they go, wow! this is way better than we expected. That can translate into a better review (just make sure everything else about their stay is up to par.)

I think you've struck the right balance with your photos. Food for thought. Check out these posts for more tips on photos, and hosting in general. Best of luck!

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Important-thing-to-be-aware-of-before-using-Airbnb-profe...

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/A-Hosting-Handbook-for-Wise-Dummies/m-p/1350922#M322003

@Colleen253 yes, I know opinions differ on professional photos. Speaking only for myself, when I am booking an entire place like @Albert1844's professional photos reassure me that I am dealing with a professional who takes the business seriously and will be professional in other areas as well-- and I have never felt misled when checking into a listing that uses them. Blurry photos (and family photos) would put me off, especially on a brand-new listing.

Spent all day following your awesome info, trying to learn as much as I can. This is great. Thanks

I have followed all your recommendation including the wheelhouse pricing, using your code. I guess I have 2 more things I need to do, get reviews and schedule a photo shoot for better pictures.

I think that by now, not having any reviews yet is causing people not trusting the listing. 
Covering the mortgage will be harder than I anticipated 

thanks for your opinion, let me know if you see anything else I can improve https://www.airbnb.com/h/snowboard

thanks again

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Albert1844 I think the photos are fine. I think you just need to be patient and gain some reviews. Your calendar seems to have a lot of blocked dates so hopefully these are bookings.

One personal bugbear I have is that I see you have signed up for the enhanced cleaning protocol. My issue is that washing, as a small example, all the drapes will be a huge task for you as will putting all the crockery and kitchen utensils through the dishwasher between every guest.

No one has asked about our cleaning protocol so I doubt that this ridiculous level of cleaning is helping you get bookings.