New calendar feature | Block checkin on some dates?

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

New calendar feature | Block checkin on some dates?

It can be a great feature!!!
I received a news letter anouncing that new feature, to allow the hosts to block checkin on some dates!

For example, during dates around new year´s eve, I would not allow checkin on the Dec 30, Dec 31, Jan 01, Jan02 Jan 03 and Jan 04 to let these days available for a special package.

Anyway... I can not find on how to use it! Am I missing something???
Do you already have this feature available?

By the way, I think we should be allowed to block checkout in some dates as well, to make complete sense.
Then we would have complete control to configure packages for special frame dates.

Using the same example aforementioned, I would not allow checkout on Dec30, Dec 31, Jan01, Jan02, Jan 03.
By doing this, I would have configured a package for the dates around New Year´s Eve, when we can get better prices.
If you notice, only the guest who wanted to stay at least 6 days would be allowed to book.
Moreover, nobody could destroy the package by booking... for example - from Dec 15 till Dec 30, or till Dec 31.
It would be possible to book from Dec 15 till Jan4, and it would preserve the pricing strategy for the package.

11 Replies 11
Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

Hello @J-Renato0,

There is a feature that allows hosts to block checkin on certain days of the week. For example, you could block checkin on Tuesdays. The only way to block checkin on certain dates, like Dec 30, is to click on that date on your calendar and select "Block". The disadvantage is that that also blocks guests from staying on that date. They wouldn't, for example, see your listing if they choose check in on Dec 20 and check out on Jan 5.

You can find the day of the week block setting by going to your calendar and clicking on "Availability settings".

Then click on the "Edit" button for the "Check-in and checkout" section.

At the end of that section there'a a link "Specify days of the week when guests can't check in".

Click on that and then tick the boxes for any day of the week that you don't want to allow checkin.

Then click on "Save".

You can't put a time frame on this. If you block checkin on Tuesdays guests will not be able to check in on any Tuesday.

Steve.

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Hello @Steve143

You did not understand what I mean.

I suggest you read again my post with some attention and you will see my point.

Anyway, I will try to clarify in advance the different between what I have said and what You have said.

I am not talking about "blocking checkin on certain days of the week", since it is already available and it does not help anyway to configure packages in a more efficient and reasonable way.
I am not talking about "blocking some days" as well. I am talking about being allowed to block CHECKIN and CHECKOUT for some specific dates, having the dates still available for night stays while they are not booked.

Cheers

J R

Hello @J-Renato0,

Sorry for having included more information than was necessary in this case. I included the description of days of the week blocking as, in the past it, has transpired that people have confused "dates" with "days".

If you read again what I said you'll see that it says that bolcking a date means that it's not available for checkins or stays. Hence I thought that you could work out that it's not currently possible to do what you were asking.

You do say " I would not allow checkin on the Dec 30, Dec 31, Jan 01" so I gave the explanation of how blocking dates works.

You also say " I think we should be allowed to block checkout in some dates as well" so as you know that's currently not possible I presumed again that you could work out from what I said that what you were asking can't currently be done on Airbnb.

Steve.

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Hello @Steve143

Have you seen this annoucement?
https://view.airbnbmail.com/?qs=5d5d61777b998bc96abf88e7a3f6c8a8e9541bbaee2ee7cfa790046d7b4d9aedfdf8...

NewsLetter November 2017
You may be interested in seeing the topic: "Check-in your way"

It is said.... "This new calendar feature lets you control what days are available for check-in without blocking days when guests are welcome to stay or check out, but not arrive."
If it is said "New calendar feature", one is supposed to understand that, it is something that did not existed! 🙂
It should be some improvement to manage the calender.

That is why I thought that Airbnb was rolling out a new feature to improve the calendar management with more flexibility.

As for the ability to block checkout on certain dates, it was a suggestion of mine. It is not something new, I have seen it in another booking CMS.

Since I like Airbnb, I would like to see the features that I have described available. I think it can be useful when we want to configure some special periods of time (season packages), by creating a frame of dates when it is not possible to have checkin or checkout on sOme days.

I may post this idea in Host Voice.

Thanks.

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@J-Renato0

As far as I know you cannot block check-out on certain days, only check-in as @Steve143 has explained.  It is a shortcoming for many hosts doing weekly holiday rentals with check-in and check-out on specific days like Saturdays or Sundays only.  

Setting specific check-in days within a certain time frame is to my knowledge not possible.

@Marit-Anne0

As for blocking checkout on certain dates it was a suggestion (as it is written), something I would like to be allowed. I know it is not available so far.

Some booking sites has a more flexible forms of blocking dates, considering checkin and checkout for any dates and periods of time.

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@J-Renato0

Yes, I am now mostly using other booking sites for this very reason. airbnb is not the best match for holiday rentals.  Even a 3 day minimum seems to be too much for airbnb.

@Marit-Anne0

I'm irritated, what exactly do you mean with "Even a 3 day minimum seems to be too much for airbnb"?

Seems I can enter any number of nights as minimum and maximum stay, just tested it.

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Peter618

Sure you can enter any number of days as minimum, but in many markets three day minimum generate less bookings. I often got this messages from airbnb: "Guests in your area typically book two nights" - try and lower your minimum stay to get more bookings".

Still irritated ? Waste of energy.

Thanks for explaining, that is true. The suggestions from airbnb robots are really silly, I just take them as daily jokes and nobody should take them serios. The are equal ridiculous as the star rating system where 5 stars means "OK" and anything below means "not OK". 

@Peter618

Sure they are silly, but the same silly robots determine your rank in the search results.