New category honoring Airbnb's original intent

Leslie7
Level 10
Port Angeles, WA

New category honoring Airbnb's original intent

With specialized collections like Plus and Family, I wish that Airbnb would create a new category for the unique, individually owned types of listings that started the whole thing. It appears that the majority of listings are now investors and people with multiple properties who have no real emotional connection to hosting. It seems more and more the personal appeal of staying in a unique, individual space is disappearing. The advent of Instabook, professional management hosts, and people buying or building places specifically to be vacation rentals, has changed the culture dramatically. My husband and I travel a lot, and we use Airbnbs for the experience and feeling of being a guest in someone's home, rather than the impersonality of a hotel. We usually like to stay in a place that is a whole house type listing, but it used to be that meant a little guest house on someone's property, a basement apartment, or possibly a little place that someone rents out because they got married and combined households. Now it's getting harder and harder to find places like that having to wade through listing after listing of professional rentals. I wish Airbnb had a category for listings that still reflected the sharing economy that started Airbnb. I'm not doing a very good job of explaining what I mean, but I'm pretty sure most of you know. Maybe someone will start a new homesharing platform that honors that smaller, personal feeling, and will strive to be more like Airbnb was in the beginning. If so I'll be the first in line.

72 Replies 72
Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Leslie7

I get what you're saying! Basically, ABB is now just like any other booking platform. It has lost it's uniqueness.

I am hoping another sustainable platform will pop up for listings of shared spaces only.

AirBnb is going public.  It will only get worse.  Their only concern now is money not the hosts

Yup : (

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@Leslie7

Yes, airbnb should introduce a "social stay" category.

And they should remove the rating category "location" and replace it with "social experiance".

Brava, @Ute42, "social experience" as a catagory is a great idea. I wish we could also add that for guests. By and large, my guests have been lovely, but the last one walked out leaving the place decidedly "untidy", broke house rules that he was well aware of, and didn't even bother to say goodby. I felt like a hotel maid instead of a host in my own home....he left 50 cents. Was that a tip or an accident?

Mary1378
Level 2
Georgia, United States

I  think it was an ungrateful slap in the face, Donna!!!  Unfortunately, I've had a couple of similar experiences, but the majority of the guests have been Fantastic, which somehow makes up for the Ingrates!  Yes, agreed also  that a Social Experience for Guests is a great idea!

Stefan403
Level 1
New York, United States

Having been born and raised in Switzerland, I do understand what you mean by social stay or experience. Remember however, that in America "social" is a rather suspect term, especially in the age of Trump. "Shared", is a less political word for what you are trying to express I think. 

@Ute42

....or  they could simply comply with the new EU legislation, specific to Airbnb, requiring them to clearly identify and separate small, individual hosts from the professional operators and commercial entities on their platform, on the grounds that not doing so is misleading to consumers and gives the professionals an unfair commercial advantage. 

I whole heartedly support the EU regulations on this!

As hosts and travelers who have thoroughly enjoyed the engagement with hosts and guests — and the unique homes — experienced in accommodations hosted by the home owners (both BnB / “home stay” style and whole house vacation rentals where the host is absent, but it’s their home) I am increasingly uneasy and unenthusiastic about the commercialization of Air BnB to allow commercial operations. It breaks the spirit and the trust of the original Air BnB concept and it is leading to serious housing problems in some communities where investors are subletting numerous properties and taking them off the home rental housing market in order to profit off the vacation rental market.

As far as I’m concerned, if you don’t own and reside — at least part of the year — in the property you list on Air BnB then you should be relegated to a separate category and charged a higher rate. Many people really do not want, nor are they suited to, the personal interaction of the Air BnB experience — and that is where the commercial establishments have their own market...so let them stay in their own commercial category and keep the unique Air BnB niche for those who understand, respect and seek it rather than simply creating a cheap rental market for everyone. I certainly do NOT relish the idea of  hosting people who have nothing to offer and no interest in the friendly connection espoused by the original Air BnB mission simply looking for a “cheap” room. I also cringe to think that the interpersonal interactions would be seen necessarily as lacking boundary issues since it’s the SPIRIT of the engagement and NOT necessarily the time or depth that matters. We have rented to and from people we never met face-to-face, but with whom we still made a connection due to shared interests — and a shared living space. Being someone’s home IS uniquely personal and very different from a commercial establishment!

The practice of profiting off multiple, subleased properties on Air BnB is disturbing for many reasons, yet it is promoted and “secrets to success” are proffered by numerous individuals who expect to be paid for their “expertise”; it leads to destructive competition in the local markets for all Air BnB hosts;  it negatively impacts local neighborhoods when there is a constant stream of strangers in and out; and it deleteriously impacts the local housing market by decreasing the often already tight rental housing market for families and individuals.

Sadly, this is yet another instance of the damage done by a culture in the USA — and infecting the global market — that embraces and promotes greed rather than respecting the intangibles that truly promote quality of life. Bravo to the EU for doing the right thing! It is entirely possible — and preferable — to succeed by applying principles and limitations that promote, rather than destroy, the critical interactions that make our homes, our neighborhoods and our communities worth living in.

@Leslie7 You did a perfect job of explaining yourself. I'm afraid to report that there seems to be less interest in creating new platforms and more interest in the corporate players buying out the smaller, more intimate platforms.

I joined here due to a takeover of my favorite platform Housetrip, a British company, that allowed me to collect my own STR taxes and security deposit. I will not name the corporation that bought them out, but I will say that they refused to send me the tax money and I argued with them for 2 years, since I ended up with none of the money posted to my account and had to pay the taxes out of my own pocket. I had to raise my prices to help defray the increased cost of doing business with them. I finally received the account number where they have been sending the money and now have to fight with my local tax collector to straighten this out.

The next best platform I joined was Wimdu, a German company that just got purchased. They also had allowed me to collect the taxes and the security deposit at the door. Now they do not even represent their hosts, they just list vacation rentals posted on other platforms and act as a consolidator, like Trivago does for hotels. They had me listed as one of the best places in my area, then when guests try to book, they tell them I'm no longer available...repeat clients thought I had gone out of business....I saw one on the street the other day!!! She asked for my email so she could rent again next year.

So, I'm afraid dream platforms are a thing of the past, however, I have to praise Airbnb for getting the tax thing right, at least for hosts in cities where they have the ability to pay the taxes for hosts. They also come through on appealing to a broad audience and I'm happy to report that in 2 months of this year (already) I have booked half as many guests from them as I did for all of last year.

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Leslie7

I agree.  It would be nice to have an amateur host category, but the devil is in the details...

What would we call it?

"Social" was a great suggestion. But, as a prospective guest, I'd be afraid of a "Chatty-Cathy"  host with boundary issues.

"Amateur" is in line with how I think of myself as an Airbnb host. But that label could be an excuse for being sloppy.

"Dude Hosting"? "Couch-surfing style"? "Hippy Lifestyle"? "Communal"?

"Non-corporate"?

My favorite... "Airbnb Classic"

@Paul154 I think you lost amateur status after your first 2 bookings. As a Chatty Cathy, I can truthfully say that boundaries are easy to spot. When a guest shows no interest in a free ride to the grocery store, I know they need space. I never have to wait for the eye roll.

@Paul154

Airbnb Retro? Airbnb Old-Skool? 😉

Rachel0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Paul154 Airbnb Original?