New flooring advice/suggestions-beach area

New flooring advice/suggestions-beach area

I have a townhouse in Jersey a couple blocks from the beach. Currently I have mostly carpet (in the living areas and bedrooms) and tile flooring in the bathrooms/kitchen. 

Im torn with the carpet areas. I love the warmth and it’s comfotable. It’s been taking a beating as I’ve been having it cleaned quite often. The color isnt exactly ideal, just too light. 

It’s a newer building (2005) so I’m not neccesarily looking for something to absorb abuse from rentals. My goal is to upgrade the house little by little and make it nice to demand a higher amount. 

Shiuld I deal with the carpet for a couple years ? Replace the carpet with new carpet but something slightly darker? 

Tile, laminate, luxury vinyl? 

Anybody with feedback I’d appreciate it. 

27 Replies 27
Lyn3
Level 10
Mapleton, Australia

@Lyn3 wrote:

Carmen I recently had vinyl planks installed in my guest bedroom on the advice of our local floorcovering store - they look great, feel pleasant underfoot, won't scratch and cope with a water leak if necessary.  I also like cork tiles which we had in a previous home, although they would be affected by a water leak.

Vinyl planks won't scratch but will cope with a water leak...

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

@Carmen627 I have a beach house, and sand does get tracked in, no matter how careful guests try to be. I therefore have laminate flooring that has no seams - that is key, as sand and grit can collect in the seams of hardwood that is installed plank by plank. It is a breeze to clean. Photo here:Guesthouse 2nd Floor Living-Dining Area (1).jpeg

@Rebecca181

Great point. Those floors look amazing btw. I guess more signs are leaning against hardwood. 

Those are laminate Rebecca ?

@Carmen627 Yes, laminate. Scratch-proof, spill-proof, sand-proof!

@Rebecca181 @Lyn3 @Sarah977 @Kimberly54

im having trouble making a new post but wanted to ask you this...it’s off topic here so excuse me. 

my previous guests who made a complete mess of my place left yesterday. We both left reviews and in his review he states that 9 of them had a great time. One issue..he booked for 6 guests only. My max occupancy is 8. 

What can/should I do ? 

At the least you could write a public response to his review. "I'm so glad you had a great time. Unfortunately I didn't have a great time cleaning up the huge mess you left me to deal with, nor not getting paid for the 9 people you brought to my place, which you booked for 6. And ignoring the fact that my listing says it's for 8 people max."

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

Woodlook tiles are easy to clean and won't get scratched up like wood flooring or wood laminate. Tenants put more wear and tear on my wood flooring in 11 months that I did in 16 years.  If you get wood laminate then BE SURE to have some extra on hand to repair badly scraped wood. Then watch a video like this one on how to repair wood floorign sections. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Rgw2TkyYEQ

@Pete69

**bleep** Pete now you’re scaring me lol. I could tile but I’m even dreading purchasing and carrying that much tile. 

Would you rank vinyl over laminate ? I think at this point hardwood is out. My rental season is pretty short if that matters. Still, the floor takes a beating ofcourse. But I have about 3 months (2 prime months) of good rental. Which actually works out well. The house needs a break the rest of the year. Lol

Vinyl is a nice cheap option. There's actually this wood look vinyl that is about 1/4 thick. No adhesive is used. If something gets scratched then you just replace the 2' X 4' piece.

@Carmen627 

Laminate or vinyl floors that "look" like wood are great while being easy to maintain and clean and are also very durable. For a rental near the beach I think carpets or real hardwood would be a total nightmare~

There are some really good faux wood flooring options nowadays~

@Jessica-and-Henry0

That’s the direction I’m heading in. I do feel I can possibly get away with carpets in the bedrooms. Maybe I can do the living area and leave the carpets in the bedrooms for now. That’s an option.  I do really like the warmth of carpets. And they don’t/haven’t taken such a beating like the main living areas. Thanks for the input. 

Sheldon15
Level 4
Hope, Canada

I just put in vinyl laminate flooring that looks like wood but is moisture resistant and really durable. Since i live in a place called Sunshine valley which is not really a good name because we never really get the sun due to the mountains. I think there are some shots of the new floor in my listing pictures.

Tetiana12
Level 2
Stryi, Ukraine

I laid solid wood in bedrooms upstairs and when I bought the house, the downstairs was already all hardwood flooring https://www.canfloor.com/ other than the living room. I really like it, and prefer it to the engineered and laminate types I laid in my old house. I'm lucky that despite some spills and a dishwasher leak, the flooring hasn't been damaged downstairs but as was said, I wouldn't lay choose to lay real wood in areas where water could damage it.