New host- advice regarding damages

Jasmine343
Level 2
Victoria, Canada

New host- advice regarding damages

Hi guys! I'm brand new to hosting and have my first guest arriving tomorrow.  I've been mulling over potential scenarios and how to handle them and am at a loss

1. If an appliance breaks during a guests stay, should it be repaired while they are still there?  I know it can depend on the length of stay.  For example a guest with 1 or 2 nights left might not care but if you have a guest with let's say a week left and they want to be able to use the microwave that's broken during their stay, how would you deal with this?

2. If a guests let's you know that they've created a stain somewhere, couch, sheets, carpet.  What would you ask them to do? Vacate the property so you can deal with the stain if it's on the xouch/carpet and go pick up the sheets and deal with it? Or would you ask the guests to try and deal with it? 

3. Lost fob.  I have a fob I use to go in and clean, as well the owner has a fob.  If a guests loses their fob should I just be asking them to buzz in and out until the end of their stay? Or give up my key and risk potentially losing that one as well? (I know those odds are slim)

For now I just have these three, im trying to get my bases covered as I'm running the air bnb for someone else and don't want to bug them about these things in the moment it happens 

I appreciate any input from the pro hosters out there! 

4 Replies 4
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

1) ask them what they prefer and do that

2) thank them for letting you know and if it is something that requires immediate attention ask them when you can address it without disturbing them

3) have a spare fob you can provide and if needed a preset fee for replacement 

Perfect thanks very much!

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

Just a few tips:

I keep an extra Mr. Coffee pyrex pot in case someone breaks a pot and I don't have 3 days to wait to order a new one.

Stains in sheets? OxyClean removes even blood. Soak in bleach for an hour too.

Good idea thank you!