New host asking about guests asking for discounts

Jennifer111
Level 2
New York, NY

New host asking about guests asking for discounts

I am three weeks into hosting, I have had 7 guests so far, all good experiences.  I am wondering about a booking situation right now...I have someone booked who is brand new to airbnb,she just joined April 2016, and its not going smoothly.  There were problems with the reservation, beginner confusion, long waits for responses.  Then she wanted to add two days onto her reservation, I opened the days up on the calendar, and she did not book them, so I did the thing where I altered her reservation and she had to accept it,(I forgot what thats called)  After a long wait for payment, airbnb said her credit card wouldn't go through, so I texted her that info.  Now she says she's using a different card but would please like a discount.  I'm new to airbnb but not to business, and my instincts are telling me this is a very high maintenance guest and it might not go well.  But maybe discounts are a really common thing at airbnb, I don't know because I'm new at this.  I do know that I'm the lowest price in my neighborhood.  I'd love to hear any thoughts anyone has about this!  I haven't pre-approved her reservation request for the extra two days, and I almost wish I could cancel the whole thing....any thoughts on that?

14 Replies 14
David-and-Fiona0
Level 10
Panglao, Philippines

Discount = Red Flag.....Dont do it : )

I agree, I did give some discount to guests when they ask for it, but it ends up I dont like that. will not offer discount in the future.

Donna15
Level 10
Delft, Netherlands

@Jennifer111, I agree entirely with @David-and-Fiona0

Avoid this guest like the proverbial plague.

Decline. 

Thanks!  After getting your support, I declined her request for the extra two days and I told her if she'd like to cancel the whole weekend thats ok.  I'm going to go further today and encourage her to cancel the whole weekend.  I'm disturbed about this because the high maintenance behavior didn't start until after the initial booking, which went fine,(sort of) and now I have to host her if she doesn't cancel.  As a new host, I don't know how badly me cancelling will affect my standing with airbnb.  Are these "extenuating circumstances"?  I'd rather not have this guest come at all, and leave the room open for nicer people.  Any suggestions?

Never, ever cancel a reservation yourself. Ask the guest to do it. If you cancel, you will get a fine and your calendar will be blocked for those days. You also will not recieve "Superhost" status for a full year.

Just be firm. No discounts. Tell your guest to book elsewhere. The guest has to cancel....never the host!

I have only twice offered discounts, one I totally regret the other filled in a nice space midweek and it was a small discount.

However, I have declined taking many people who have asked for discounts as I feel they do not value the property or what you are offering or the effort you go to.  It's not a consumable item its a persons property and their time, and they are best to value it and their reviews can attest to this.  

So how did it go?  Did you end up hosting her?

@Jennifer111,

Hi there, congrats on a smooth start with most of your early guests,

Re: Discounts. 

Much of the time  Airbnb listed rates are a discount on the comparable rates at  traditional establishments. 

It's income and therefore taxable; you need to factor this in.

Sometimes it's good to bring this information to the attention of the guest. If they see that your  tariff is cut in half by tax, they soon appreciate that you are already being very modest in your earnings.

Think well about your tariff before setting it; then don't be afraid to stand by it if you believe it's fair value for your guest.

Create a personalised set of responses/sentences/phrases to choose from when these situations arise. Then you are less likely to flounder.

When the guest arrives you will probably still offer full service.So...... will you still be happy working for less?

If service is cut to suit the lowered tariff,  it will compromise your reviews.

Happy Hosting and Welcome to the Community Forums,

Regards, Christine.

Stacey16
Level 3
Rockport, MA

I feel your pain, Jennifer. We all want to be nice, have folks be pleased with our space, and be Super Hosts. You've gotten some good feedback here, feedback that I am listening to, also. That's how I ended up on this forum!

I have recently been going back and forth with a woman who is new to Airbnb. She actually asked me for a discount that would've equalled 65% off for about three weeks. I let her know that the math did not add up for me, and pointed out that my rates are very reasonable, given the area and the fact that it's high season here in MA.

I wished her the best and yet...the next day, she once again gushed about my listing, then asked what kind of discount I could give her for a THREE month stay. I politely told her that my place was unavailable for that kind of committment, since I had other guests booked over the next few months. I suggested that she look into the other multitudes of options in my area that may best suit her needs and budget. I have learned not to go into lengthy explainations. 

I'm hoping she will stop contacting me as now I'm feeling a bit pressured and I'm trying to listen to my gut. She also disclosed that she's moving into the area from another state. I am wondering how much of her personal belongings would also end up in my home with her.

Since I do not rent my home year round, I am sticking to a no discount option. It's a small place for two, not for crowds, so there shouldn't be any splitting of the costs with others, anyway. And, come on,...Airbnb people give the best rates, the best customer service and go above and beyond with the helpfulness. We need to be appreciated more, I think.

Just sayin',

Stac

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Stacey16

Good girl you are doing exactly the right thing....Do not get involved with haggling!!

I have had that discount thing come up four times now, I relented just once and it was absolutely not the right thing to do, they ended up a disaster.

I now go back to my stock answer if someone wants to know what price I can do! I simply say, "My price is on my listing, I list a price, I do not state or entertain.......or nearest offer!" 

Cheers.....Rob

Nina75
Level 10
LA, CA

In 5 years and over 1200 reservations ive given maybe 2 or 3 discounts and they were very small. My rule is simple go stay someplace cheaper or that is within your budget.

Avoid giving discounts. Price your listing accordingly and explain that to the guests. 

THIS ANSWER LEFT ME SHOOK! IT'S ACCURATE AND PERFECT!!! Thank you for giving me just the right phrase!!!

Stephen222
Level 2
Miami Beach, FL

Reading this hit me like a message from the universe.  I just had a horrible experience with a guest who had requested a discount, I declined his request but gave a pre-approval - he then booked, arrived, and proceeded to complain about the most miniscule exgarrated issues.  60 reviews at an average of 4.5 stars, and then this guest checked out, submits a claim for a refund of $220 of his $405 total, citing not being able to use the kitchen because it was "dirty".  Here is his review:

Me and my fiancée visited ....... for the first time, it was our birthday vacation. We usually book Airbnb, because we like to have the experience of the place from the local perspective. This time, unfortunately, it was one of the worst experiences we had with booking an Airbnb Place. First of all, just to make it clear, when you go on vacation, you don’t want to feel that you are in a place with bunch of rules and restriction, but, because it is not a hotel , we understand that we need to be more careful and understanding towards the host, because it is a place that he owns. But, when you host is specifically telling you, DO NOT ANSWER the door to anyone, or to make sure if someone asks who are we, we cannot say anything about Airbnb or hosting. We were told by the host, to tell anyone who asks that we are his guests. That freaked us a little bit, because every time there were people walking by the door, we had to completely be silence to make sure we don’t get into any trouble. When we were leaving the house, we had to make sure we do it quickly before any of the neighbors asks us questions that we don’t want to answer. Now, regarding the location, it was amazing, we were 5 minute walk from the beach, and 15-20 minute walk from most of the attractions Miami Beach can offer. Unfortunately, that is the only bright point I can make writing this review. When we entered the studio, we usually check out the kitchen to see if we have all the tools so we can go to the grocery store and purchase basic necessities, so we can make coffee, breakfast, ETC…When we opened the drawers in the kitchen, we were speechless, there was dust, there were bread crumbs everywhere, and one of the drawers, the handle was broken. There were only 2 forks, and 2 knifes, and 5 coffee mugs and some plates. But let’s be honest, when you on vacation, you do not want to wash your spoon/fork after every time you use it. Now, the coffee machine, and the microwave was a disaster, it was filthy! We decided just not to use any of it, never! We wanted to make coffee in the morning which we bought in the store and boil the water on a small pot. The moment we grabbed the pot, the handle was broken. Obviously we didn’t do anything else in the kitchen ever again. The bathroom was ok, but the handle of the shower looked like it was broken, and the bathtub itself looked like there was an army of soldiers taking showers there for a year, it was black! The windows were covered with curtains, when we wanted to open the windows, we moved some of the curtains, and you could have seen a thick line of dust by the window.

Here is my response, posted only after I immeidately contacted Airbnb and dealt with the Resolution Dispute on the phone, not online:

What a petty, transparent, and obviously unscrupulous attempt at obtaining an unwarranted refund. I have over 60 reviews that evidence the exact opposite of what you claim about your experience. Your review reflects nothing more than your poor failed attempt at obtaining the discount you initially requested when booking the apartment. My advice: next time book a place you can afford instead of asking a stranger to subsidize your vacation budget. It's laughable that you'd request a refund of $220 because you claim that you couldn't use the kitchen due to a coffee pot with dirty coffee spots on it & a drawer with crumbs inside - rightfully denied by Airbnb's Resolution Center. Curious that you claim it's the worst Airbnb experience you've ever had, and yet when you messaged me during your stay about only the coffee pot and drawer with crumbs you said: "but it fine" & later proceeded to request a late check out. So which one is it: no big deal or the worst experience ever? Clearly it was no big deal because you requested to stay later. Your own contradicting words resulted in your ridiculous refund request being denied - nice try though. Airbnb was very interested in your statement about having multiple accounts, especially since the account you booked under showed no previous reviews, and yet you claim to have had multiple experiences - using multiple accounts is a violation of the terms and conditions. Regarding my rules you said caused you concern - why did you book with me then? All of these rules are listed on my public listing for everyone to read before they book. You knew in advance these were my posted House Rules, and I messaged them to you twice before your arrival. Good attempt at raising some faux issues. Remember when I messaged you on the 2nd day of your staying asking you if everything was ok & to report any issues that needed my attention? You told me everything was fine. You did not mention feeling uncomfortable by the rules nor did you mention not being able to use the kitchen because of the cleanliness issues. You certainly did not mention anything about the bathtub - since you claim to have not used the kitchen for 4 days because it was "dirty", I can assume you also didn't use the shower - after all, as you claim, it was black and looked like a 100 soldiers had been using it. Worn enable is not the same as a dirty bathtub, nice try again.

I said to myself - THATS IT ! - like a gauranteed algorithum, every time I've hosted a guest who's requested a discount, whether provided or not (in the past I have provided discounts), these guest ALWAYS COMPLAIN.  So then today, 5 days after dealing with this princess and the pea of a guest - I get an inquiry that includes a request for a discount:

Hi Stephen, I am looking forward to stay with a friend in ........ and I really liked this studio. I´ve seen the price is great, but with the additional fees it goes up to 142.4 each per day. Do you think we can arrange lower price? we could pay 112 (A total of 610 for the 5 nights) Would it be possible? Thanks a lot. Best, Maria

My response:

In my hosting experiences, guests are more happy with an apartment priced in their initial budget. My apartment is already competitively priced for its location and comparable listings & hotels in the area. In as much, no discounts are provided.

Going forward, I've committed myself to allow my apartment to remain vacant vs. dealing with gauranteed problem guests leaving false and exaggerated negative reviews.  NO MORE.  NO DISCOUNTS.  NO THANK YOU.  NO CHEAP GUESTS.  Its freaking Airbnb, its already cheaper !!  

Good God, @Stephen222, what a nightmare!

After getting really great insight from this community, I will never offer or entertain any discounting again. You're right; our rates are already so much lower than any hotel and A LOT nicer. I think that Airbnb should just scrap it or at least let us disable that "suggestion" when we are looking at our calendars. In the weeks since I had that request for a discounted rate (which I did not grant and finally the woman gave up), I actually raised my nightly rate and have done just fine! There is so much competition in my area that I have to keep it reasonable, but I'm glad I stopped being paranoid about not getting bookings and went for it. Things have improved.

Best of luck going forward!

Brutal!!!