New host, deposit questions

Joey210
Level 2
Dayton, WY

New host, deposit questions

Just listed our Wyoming vacation rental. Am curious about deposits. I think I understand how to request a pet deposit (why isn't there a choice to add that?). But do most hosts request a cleaning and/or security deposit? I haven't added either yet.

6 Replies 6
Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

I would say most hosts don’t add one, but I think it’s a good idea. Whatever you do, don’t rely on the Airbnb Host Guarantee, especially for minor, non-catastrophic issues.

Thanks! We appreciate the input. 🙂

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Joey210 The Airbnb security deposit is not actually collected by Airbnb so is totally worthless. I am unclear if hosts are allowed to charge a real deposit - Hopefully @Anonymous (who is the rules guru) will tell us if it is allowed or not and, if it is allowed, how to do it.

Thanks. 🙂

@Joey210  Airbnb does not charge or remit deposits on hosts' behalf. If you'd like to run a deposit through the platform, Airbnb is not the right choice for your listing. In the event that your property is damaged, the process for compensation is unwieldy, often unsuccessful, and completely at the mercy of the case manager who receives your documentation. This process has nothing to do with your deposit, one way or other.

The "Host Guarantee" does not cover damage caused by pets, so if this happens and Airbnb isn't able to collect a further payment from the guest, you're out of luck.

Anyway, given how sensitive an Airbnb listing is to reviews, a refundable deposit is a poor choice; if there is any reason not to refund the full amount at the end of the stay, you're guaranteed a retaliatory rating that could sink a relatively new listing. Far easier for you would be a non-refundable pet fee - disclosed on the listing, payable as an "extra service" after the booking is confirmed via the Resolutions tool. This allows you to get the pets "registered" before the stay, so the thorny topic of money doesn't have to be addressed again. 

Enter whatever amount you want as a security deposit; it doesn't matter, because it won't be charged anyway. 

Great info. Thanks so much.