New host question: I set up smart pricing but with a minimum nightly price - but my listing shows a lower price

New host question: I set up smart pricing but with a minimum nightly price - but my listing shows a lower price

Hello, new host question here. In the listing set up, I activated smart pricing, but also set a minimum and maximum price. However when I previewed my listing, it showed a nightly price lower than the minimum. I can’t tell if this is exactly what the public would see, or for some reason just myself in the listing edit process. A little confused on this.

I also set up a discount for the first few bookings, perhaps it is showing the price reflecting the temporary discount already applied?

Thank you for any guidance.

4 Replies 4
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

Hi @Christopher64 and welcome.

I don't know what your minimum is, but it looks like the price at the top is your nightly price after a 20% discount.  When I go to your listing, I see that it's $45 a night, and below that there's the 20% discount offer:

Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 11.27.37 PM.png

When I put in dates, the price changes to $51, but in the nightly breakdown, it's $63.  $51 is 80% of $63, so the price they're showing is your price less the discount:

Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 11.28.34 PM.png

If you need to bring in more than the discounted price shown here, raise your minimum to cover yourself.  And I don't know if you know this, but new listings get a boost in the search results and rankings, so you don't really need to offer a discount at the beginning.

Yes ok I believe it is calculating the discount in right up front. I confirmed that discount for the first few new bookings.

Actually... I was trying to find that setting again and could not. I don't want to remove it, but would you know where that setting (the new listing discount) is found in the Dashboard? I went through the listing editing screens - pricing, etc. and I could not locate it. I just want to confirm that it is in place for a certain number of initial bookings, not you know... forever. 

Thanks for your detailed help!  

@Christopher64  I'm so sorry - I'm just seeing this.  If you want someone to notice your question, you can either "like" their answer or address them in the post using the @ symbol followed by their name and number.  Then the person will get a notification of activity.

Go to your calendar and look to the right.  It will be in promotions.  

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Christopher64 The initial discount is only for the first 3 bookings. If you have had that many bookings it will disappear hence explaining why you can't find it.

To check anything, including if your rates are competitive, just switch to travelling, search in your local area and then choose your listing to see the pricing being applied.