New host: video surveillance, TV set-up, listing set-up, website

Lenore22
Level 10
California, United States

New host: video surveillance, TV set-up, listing set-up, website

Hello all!

We hope to list our first property in Mt. Shasta, CA in mid-September or October and we have a number of questions as we get set-up. We look forward for any advice and guidance you might have to share!

*Video Surveillance: we know this is a big issue between guests and hosts and we do plan on having surveillance on the front & back doors. Do I understand correctly that some have suggested that you want it inside on the front door so you can see who enters/leaves? Or just at the exterior of the door?

* TV: we don't plan on signing up for cable/satellite, but plan on relying on Netflix/Amazon Prime/etc.- How do you set this up? We are looking at using a Fire TV. Do you offer a guest Netflix account? What if they sign out? Do you just give the guests the login info? What if they decide to use it at their home & then mess-up streaming for your guests? Would you provide a guest login for Amazon Prime Video?

* Listing: I plan on listing the property a couple of weeks before it is available. Is there a way to stage it so it's ready to go out will that become visible? What do you recommend?

* Website: some people recommend maintaining a separate website so you have more control over the listing and the organization of info. What are your thoughts on this?

I look forward to hearing your thoughts/advice!

Cheers!

5 Replies 5
Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Lenore22,

Put surveillance equipment only outside.  It's against Airbnb policy to have cameras inside of the listing.  In addition to checking the box for cameras during the listing setup, be sure to specifically state on the listing page and house rules that there are security cameras.  "For the security of our guests and the property, there are cameras located XX."

We don't provide cable service either, but the TV is connected to rooftop aerial antenna, and we connected a Roku streaming device for guests to use.  It has been my experience that most guests will login with their own accounts, and we do not offer any streaming services.  I prefer Roku vs. the Firestick, because there buttons on it for popular apps.

You can publicize the listing at any time, and block the dates on your calendar until you're ready to take guests.  Do not turn on instant book, regardless of the suggestion from Airbnb.  New hosts are targets for some of the worse types of guests.  Have guests send you booking requests, and through communication find out why they are traveling, who is staying, and what they plan to do while at your place.  You will also have more time to read their reviews (the ones left for them and the ones they left for hosts).  If they don't have any reviews, really stress that they acknowledge reading your house rules, and ask them several times if they have any questions.  Be ready to update your house rules as you go along, because something will always come up that you didn't think of.

I have have a separate website, a Google website, and a Facebook page, as well as listing my properties on other reservation platforms.  They all take some work to setup, and maintain.  It just depends upon how much effort and time you have to manage them all. 

Lenore22
Level 10
California, United States

@Debra300 this is all so helpful! Thank you so much for taking the time to share this great advice!  Really great tips!

I had heard that the first 30 days are vital for new hosts, as they get a boost in the listings, so I was putting off listing it until it was ready to go. Is this not the case?

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Lenore22,

The main factors to consider when deciding when to publish your listing may be the amount of time you anticipate between publish and first reservations, and who you've identified as your target guest.  The Niners aren't going to have fan attended games this season.  So, you're not likely to get the sportsfan bookings this fall.  However, depending upon your property, you may get a lot of local/regional guests looking for getaways.  You can adjust your minimum stay requirement to attract certain guest types.  I don't recommend that you set it to less than 2 nights minimum, because it attracts motel crowd, and it may take a lot of effort or time to turnover the space.  Plus, be careful not to take long-term reservations beyond 30 days to avoid the guest obtaining tenant's rights.  You know that California has very strong tenant's rights laws, and it will take months to get someone out through the eviction process.

This year I published two new listings.  The first one received a reservation on the same day that I published.  It was for the next night.  I published the second listing with the calendar blocked out for the first three weeks, and received a reservation the next day for the first day the calendar was available.

What's vital for new hosts is to get good reviews early on, because you will not have enough reviews to offset a negative review.  It's for this reason, that many experienced hosts do not recommend for new hosts to accept long-term stays early on, because it may take a while before your review count  increases. 

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Lenore22 

Video Surveillance I use a device that counts the number of people. It alerts you when it is over a certain number in side the property. That way you do not have to constantly watch your cameras and can have a signal even in the middle of the night. 

TV I offer basic channels only precisely because of all the difficulties with setup you have described (and cost). I do think I lose a very small share of guests who want to watch sports, particularly around the holidays. But since I am always booked eventually, perhaps I do not lose them after all

Listing What do you mean by staging? Taking pictures? Or timing? You will get a new listing boost. It's intent is to get you guests right away to get reviews. The closer the availability, the more exposure- that is how this particular boost works. Two weeks out is ok, but not more, maybe even 10 days. Guests who plan at the last minute do not make the best guests anyway, instant book or not. I would say instant book is a must. You will not get any reservations without it

Website I have had a website that I got through my channel manager however Chicago now charges a $5000 annual fee for having an STR site so I had to take it down. Make sure you check out local regulations, if there are any. There was limited use to the site. For example I promoted my properties on google my business

Gregory87
Level 10
Minneapolis, MN

Welcome to Airbnb, @Lenore22!  @Debra300 & @Inna22 have shared good tips on Listings and Websites, so I have nothing to add.

I concur that video surveillance is a good idea.  I have a doorbell cam and it is only located externally.  I live on-site, so it is handy to monitor the arrival of guests and confirm the number of people entering (in case they are trying to sneak in extra people or animals [I don't allow pets]).  If you purchase a plan to record images, you have proof to substantiate any claims you might have to make.  Should you be an off-site host, it is even more important to have "eyes" remotely on your property.

As far as TV goes, I provide broadcast (antenna) and a Roku device.  There are 15-20 channels now available over-the-air and some guests are fine with that.  For those who need more, Roku provides additional options.  I love this approach because 1) there is a Guest Mode which is a setting where users choose their check-out date before accessing the features and when they depart, any settings and/or passwords are erased and the system is "reset" for the next visitor and 2) guests can select whichever steaming apps they want from the Roku menu to temporarily install (Hulu, Amazon Video, Netflix, I ❤️ Music, PBS [regular and kids], etc.) and then use their own login and password, so they have access to their own account and features.  Lots of good comments on reviews about this.

Let us know what you decide and updates us on how your initial bookings go.