New host - when to reject a request

New host - when to reject a request

How should I respond to this guest?

I'm a new host (just listed my first property 5 days ago) and have been fortunate enough to receive many bookings in my first 5 days. I have just received the following request and message and became a little suspicious, but perhaps it's just because I'm inexperienced.  The guest has -0- reviews, but I've accepted requests from others with -0- reviews. 

Good evening, I am messaging you with regards to whether individuals under the age of 25 can rent your properties. We are a group of 8 men from the      University of XXXXX. We do not drink, smoke, gamble, or have any parties of the sort. Please let me know if you allow for people under 25 to book with your property.

Thank you for your feedback and wisdom!

19 Replies 19

@Andrew2225  I think your decision was wise. We hosted groups of up to 8 guests but now we restricted it to 6.  If our market wouldn't be so saturated I would gladly restrict it to 4 or less.

8 young guests = party... even if they don't invite anybody else.

Jennifer1897
Level 10
Irvine, CA

@Andrew2225  Welcome to hosting and the community center 

Personally I would decline the request. I was in college not that long ago and to find 8 college aged males in one place that don't drink or smoke and are otherwise well behaved, is rare.  That being paired with no reviews is a double red flag. In these types of situations it's way better to be proactive vs reactive. As others said you don't want to find a trashed or damaged house after check out. 

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

You've already had many bookings in the past 5 days? Well then, sounds like you can afford to be picky! Don't worry about not becoming a SuperHost because you rejected too many bookings. SuperHost status is waaaaay overrated. People evaluate based on price and reviews.

@Pete69  Declines lower Acceptance rate, which doesn't even factor in to Superhost.

@Pete69    Could you please put to rest the false assertion that declining requests affects your Superhost status?  The criteria for SH are plain for everyone to see, and Acceptance Rate is not one of them:  https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/829/how-do-i-become-a-superhost

(Not to be confused with Response Rate, which is one of the criteria:  whether you accept or decline a request, you're required to do so within 24 hours in order to keep a 100% Response Rate.)