New rental rules in Spain

Margaret-Mary0
Level 2
United Kingdom

New rental rules in Spain

Does anyone who hosts in Spain have any idea how the new "rental laws" affect Airbnb listings?  

To my understanding, if I rent out my house in Spain I have to jump through a load of hoops, such as obtaining a rental number from the local town hall, having air conditioning and heating fitted and reporting all guests to the local police station within 12 hours of their arrival!

Is Airbnb caught up in these new laws or is it outwith?  

Any comments or suggestions with this would be gratefully received.

Thanks.

109 Replies 109
Alison368
Level 2
Mirepoix, France

What if you're just renting out one bedroom in a private house?

Hi

Would love to know some Valencia rules and this is what I understand.

If less than 2 months - tourist licence is needed for renting out WHOLE apartment (though these days only granted for ground or level 1 apartments).

VAT/IVA is applicable to the bill as Im providing a service (bed changes, cleaning, breakfast etc).

If > 2months but <1 year, its a med long term rental and I will still need a licence if Im renting through Airbnb?

Do I need to add VAT/IVA? (One landlord said I do have to pay VAT on a 4 month rental - is this true?)

If 1+ year rental, no need for licence, nor VAT/IVA added.

If I live on the property and just want to rent out a room short term, do I need to apply for a tourist licence?

Thanks.

Roberto2260
Level 2
Zaragoza, Spain

estamos muchos con estas cuestiones legales burocraticas que nos hechan el freno de poder arquilar nuestras casas

Dear May

i was trying to rent some room and understood that it was ok but i have been informed by the local authorities of Catalonia that it is ilegal and the owner may be sanctioned. So i had to put down my listing and the reservations were all cancelled by Airbnb. 

Mary-and-Col0
Level 3
Alicante, Spain

There needs to be some clarity about tourist licence. Owners need to apply for one if advertising property on a website online such as airbnb, and others, if payment and bookings  taken online etc.  However there is no need for a licence if doing seasonal rentals, this is usually by taking the payments privately and ;through a contract seasonal rental.  There is long term as well and short term rentals.  Ask a lawyer for verification on this. However the new laws are mostly for taxation as many  running rental business/private landlords  not paying tax on the earnings and after many years are sent a big fine, no surprise!!!