New rental rules in Spain

Margaret-Mary0
Level 2
United Kingdom

New rental rules in Spain

Does anyone who hosts in Spain have any idea how the new "rental laws" affect Airbnb listings?  

To my understanding, if I rent out my house in Spain I have to jump through a load of hoops, such as obtaining a rental number from the local town hall, having air conditioning and heating fitted and reporting all guests to the local police station within 12 hours of their arrival!

Is Airbnb caught up in these new laws or is it outwith?  

Any comments or suggestions with this would be gratefully received.

Thanks.

109 Replies 109

Just save 30-50% of whatever you are making, contact a gestor and be prepared to pay 20% or so but it is always better to be on the safe side. It is not really very smart argument to say that the more you make, the bigger tax you have to which makes it difficult... The more you make, the more money you will have and you are not supposed to spend it all but pay your tax. Of course nobody wants to pay tax but it creates an unfair advantage for someone doing the right thing paying tax then someone else renting out in the same area not paying taxes and get rewarding having lower fees... Airbnb is fantastic and should never be forbidden but it should definetly be regulated. There should be warnings for people who do not pay their tax and if they get a warning and still do not pay, they should have a big fine. What I am worried about the spanish government is paying tax and still have some kind of stupid fee for not reading paragraph 21525.x.351.31.4yyy. and they end up fining for some arbitrary reason.

You need to check with your local town.  If you are a Spanish resident you should. If you are a resident in another country you pay the taxes in the country where you are a resident.  You will no tbe doucle taxed, and taxes should not be a lot.  You can also consult with an accountant.

Bill59
Level 1
Leighton Buzzard, United Kingdom

I'm attempting to complete the rental registration form for Registro de Turismo de Andalucía.

As invoicing is done by Airbnb, then I understand that their name/details should be stated under 'Titulo Para La Expltacion'. However there's an associated field asking for Indentification Details - which I can't find anywhere on Airbnb.

Has anyne completed and submitted the registration? Need some advice/help on completing it with Airbnb as the invoicing entity.

Thank you!

Regards

Bill

Yvonne119
Level 1
Birmingham, United Kingdom

Hi Bill

can you tell me how you got on with registering your property in Andalucia and what you had to do please?

regards

yvonne 

After asking Spanish friends to help me fill in the paperwork with numbers that they couldn't find on the escritura, I went to the Turismo office in Granada. They very reluctantly completed the paperwork for me omitting most of the numbers asked for! ( I speak basic Spanish.)

I was immediately given the CTC number by Turismo, which I uploaded to my Airbnb listing.

A week later I received a registered letter dated that same day as I applied (30 May 2018) saying that I would be fined for not having registered before listing. I reported this to Airbnb who said that it would not happen as I had applied for the number.

I wrote a response in defense, hand delivered it and spoke to the person in control of such matters at Turismo.

A second registered letter was received from Turismo detailing the fine. 600 Euros sanction was paid.  Otherwise it would have been 1000 Euros after 15 days.

Roberto2260
Level 2
Zaragoza, Spain

estamos muchos con estas cuestiones legales burocraticas que nos hechan el freno de poder arquilar nuestras casas

Can anyone help out with information about regulations in Blanes (Costa Brava, Province of Girona, 1 hour north of Barcelona)?

1. Go to local Ajuntament and fill in the form for licence application (HUT = habitació d’us turistic), pay the registration fee.

2. Processing takes a couple of weeks

3. Once you have your licence number (HUTG1234 or similar) you go to local police, fill in a form, and get a login to the website for registering your guests. 

4. Ask all guests 16+ for their passport or ID card number. I take photos of the details page when they check in. 

5. Login to police website and register each guest. Takes 5 minutes. 

6. Add your licence number to your airbnb listing. 

Tip: I don’t ask guests to pay me the tourist tax (45c per night), I just say that it’s  included in the rent. Faffing around with coins is not going to create a good first impression. 

Great info Guy, thank you.

I've gone through the process above and hope to start renting this year, but how do I declare this to the tax authorities? I'm already autonomo but I imagine this is separate from that? Do I just need to print off airbnb invoices to give to my gestor? Will they accept that?

We have a house in a small rural town (Buiza) outside of Leon.  We're looking to put on Airbnb.  Do you know if the rental rules apply to this province as well? Can you pass along any additional information to help us list this?

Thanks

Mimi

Hello Mimi, we are trying to get a license to rent out a flat in Leon city centre - have you been successful in having this granted? Thanks, Mayte

This is a Royal Decree so paying taxes would apply to any property in Spain. It’s the licensing that is regional. 

Jasmine83
Level 1
Seogwipo-si, South Korea

Patricia, did you manage to do this as simple as it sounds?

I tried to get a rental licence from the town hall for my house that I recently inherited in Lloret De Mar but after the original 12 month ban I went and they told me they are banned again for another 12 months.

I don't know what to do as I can't afford to run the house as well as pay the awful inheritance tax. I live in the UK which is why I was hoping to rent the Villa out. Any advice? Do you know where I can check if and when the licences will be available again?

hello ! for getting this licence do you have to be owner? if you live in the place and rent out the whole place from the owner can you have this licence as well?? 

Hi, how do you know its 45 c per night_ someone told me its 2.2 for airbnb apartments. do you know were its written? Thank you