New rules for Landlords and Hosts in #Portland, #Maine

Marsha1
Level 2
Portland, ME

New rules for Landlords and Hosts in #Portland, #Maine

Starting in January, 2016, all Airbnb hosts in Portland, Maine, will have to register with the City if they want to avoid fines. The rules have been changed to include anyone who rents anything in their home or separateley, for any period of time. There will be online registration available and there will be a charge for $35 per unit. The intent seems to be to improve safety standards but may have other repercussions.  Are Portland Hosts aware of this new regulation?

6 Replies 6
Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Marsha1,

Lovely to meet you, thanks so much for starting this thread and sharing your knowledge. Just to highlight, I have moved this to the 'Worldwide' cities board as it probably more suitable here. I have also added a hashtag to your title, so other people searching for Portland, Maine will find your thread. I hope this is fine with you?

I would also recommend starting another general thread in this section to start discussions with other hosts in or near your city. 

Thanks so much. 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Thanks @Lizzie. I'm new to all this so your help is appreciated.

Marsha

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

No problem at all @Marsha1, anytime! It is great to see you are taking part in discussions. Enjoy 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Jaclyn2
Level 1
Portland, ME

Hi @Marsha1! Do you have a link for the permit? I am having trouble finding much information about the regs... thank you!

Hi Jaclyn,

There is a link on the city web site. Go to www.PortlandMaine.gov and you'll find a link to the housing safety page where you can then get information or find the online application for the landlord's registration. 

Good luck.

Marsha

Amanda987
Level 2
Haverhill, MA

Is this the same rule for all parts of maine or just Portland. I can’t  find rules for other counties