New to Air BnB Houston TX

New to Air BnB Houston TX

I plan to start short term renting for two rooms in my house in Harris county Houston Texas USA.

1. Do I need to take any permit from city of Houston or Harris county for complaince?

2. I know that Hotel Occupany Tax has to be paid to State of Texas which is being collected by Air BnB.

Howeer Do I need to pay Hotel occupany tax to City of Houston and Harris county? If yes what is the perentage for each City of Houston and Harris county and how it needs to be paid?

Thanks in advance for answering my questions.

3 Replies 3
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Rajiv3  In addition to posing questions on the host forum, many questions you will have can be found if you search the Help Center.  Here is what I found for you:

tate of Texas

Guests who book Airbnb listings that are located in the State of Texas, will pay the following tax as part of their reservation:

• Texas State Hotel Occupancy Tax: 6% of the listing price including any cleaning fee for reservations 29 nights and shorter in the State of Texas. For detailed information, visit the Texas Comptroller website.

Hope this helps.

Mark234
Level 2
Cypress, TX

@Rajiv3

All good questions - it's good that you're conscious of this as many hosts do not give it much thought. 

1) No, no permit is currently needed to operate your Airbnb in Houston (or Harris County).

2) Besides the occupancy tax that Airbnb collects from Texas hosts (and pays on your behalf), there are no other local taxes that you need to pay.

With that being said, just be sure to claim your income on your yearly taxes.  Airbnb has published a wonderful 40+ page document (after hiring consultant on the subject) that directly addresses Federal Income Tax and how Airbnb hosts are affected.  Not sure where it is but do some searching and I'm sure you'll run across it.

Mark the Host

Does the host need to have the EIN number if so you would think Airbnb would need that number so they can apply the 6% to the right place but I’ve never been asked for one