New to Airbnb - 4 star location rating

Michael3362
Level 3
Nashville, TN

New to Airbnb - 4 star location rating

Hello everyone! Requesting some feedback/guidance.

We just starting hosting about a month ago. We are getting really great feedback, however, our last guest left me scratching my head a little. She wrote a good public review, but even a better Private note and guest book writing (we have on our table). Her private note was detailed on what she loved and said it was one of her best stays ever, and that she would be back! Excitingly, I saw that she gave us an Overall 5-star rating, with 5-stars across the board (including accuracy) however, for Location she gave us 4 stars (?). This one surprised me as our location is in a very popular area, and was very close to the person they were visiting. 

My question is, should I brush this off? Is there a way to learn more on "why" since the review/note was great, and location concerns weren't mentioned anywhere? We are early in getting our reviews, and this was our first that wasn't a 5 in every section. 

Lastly, let me mention, that they were great guests, left the place very clean, and would definitely have them back. 

Thoughts/advice?

12 Replies 12
ONERüF0
Level 7
United States

No harm in messaging the guest and asking the question directly.  Just keep it professional...most will be very forthcoming in explaining.  Best of luck with your rental!  

Michael3362
Level 3
Nashville, TN

Thank you @ONERüF0  I could take the route! I didn’t know what was best professional way to approach and if anyone had any experience asking. Im I being too picky especially if they said they would love to come back? Almost ‘wish’ there was a comment section for the guest to write if there was anything less than a 5 given on any of the sections. Not that it would be required, but if anyone was so inclined to state the reason. Oh well, it’s fun so far, and I learning more every day. This is a great community for help!

No not at all...done it many times under the guise of always trying to improve.  Guests that had a great stay wouldn't hesitate to help.   

@Mich0 A guest can leave a comment for each section (at least I could when I was a guest a few months ago). It should be mandatory if they leave less than 5 stars. There is nothing more frustrating than being marked down with no clue as to what to improve on.

Yes, I agree @Gillian19 . I’m actually staying in an airbnb this weekend out of town, and I’m going to pay more attention to what questions I get and responses I’m able to provide. In the past, I’ve had such a great experience, I haven’t provided nothing less than 5’s. Thank you for your response!

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Michael3362, the location question is a massive bugbear for hosts and many guests seem to mark this one down. I honestly wouldn't worry about it.  You could message them but you risk getting them on the defensive, so, yes, I would just brush it off.  It's not as if you can do anything about your location!

Michael3362
Level 3
Nashville, TN

@Kath9  Thank you. That’s a good point, and that’s what I want to avoid. Given that this was the first time it came up, I’m not going to worry about it (promise). Thank you taking the time to provide your thoughts. 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Michael3362 

I would brush it off.

Location is so subjective. I got a 4 star on location once because there was a construction tractor sitting on the road outside my house. It did not run or move or obstruct any view. A construction crew parked it on my street for the weekend before finishing up a project down the road. It did not affect this guests stay in anyway but they still gave a 4 star for location because of it.  Some people are strange.

Also, keep in mind that you and the guest are the only people that know you received a 4 star. You're ratings look great to incoming/potential guests and, in my option, that is really all that matters.

Great advice, @Emilia42 , thank you. That's sad on your part too, as there is nothing you can do about construction. Control the controllable's and I guess that is what matters. BTW...Heading up to Portland, ME for the first time next week. Staying in an airbnb after finishing up work. Excited! 

@Michael3362 

Portland is a great city. It's getting chilly here in Maine so bring a sweatshirt! It will be good to see the experience from a guest's perspective. Hope you enjoy it!

Virl0
Level 2
Washington, DC

@Michael3362, you have to avoid anything a guest may become defensive about. You have a great review from them so you’ve done well so far. Nothing to worry about.

BTW, I’m planning to market in Nashville soon. I can’t wait.

Agree with you. Yes, after thinking about it more, I'm going to let it go. Like I said, I would have them stay again as they were great guest. They have a tie to Nashville which will most likely bring them back in the near future.

Welcome to Nashville (soon)! It's a hot market right now if you can get around all the rules and regs they have put in place. Please make sure you're up on all of that before making an investment.