New to Airbnb

Ragnhild1
Level 2
Oslo, Norway

New to Airbnb

I`m new to this and am a bit confused. First of all I was stupid? enough to chose Instant booking (changed now). Just after one day I have cancelled to bookings. Can I trust a verified profile? Or what else should I ask the guest for before I accept. Can I aks them to send me a picture of their ID, like passport? And when I don´t find them on Facebook? Something else I should ask them to confirm? Should I only accept guests with reviews on Airbnb? 

8 Replies 8
Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Start slow and get a feel for the quality of guests on Airbthe quality is very high.

Be patient.

You did not say why you cancelled, so I have to guess.

Perhaps limit your guests to women only?

Limit your stays to 3 days max.

You are not stupid for being picky - you are wise.

You have a target on your head that says "Newbie". Until you get some reviews and experience, you will be getting the dregs - the people who can't or don't want to get places with good reviews. Sorry, but we all have gone throught this

Good luck

While you can ask them tto send you a passport photo,  it is an imposition upon the guest and most other hosts do not do this.

It is reasonable and easy  to demand a verified id and face picture before your accept a reservation.

It also is reasonable to ask them to provide ID when they come.

Thanks:-) I canselled because one of the profile were not verified, and I understood that it was not a serrious guests. The other had picture of her pets as a profile picture. And as she (and her boyfriend) had not written anything in her profile. Also I could not find them on Facebook, so I got a bit sceptical. 

I still have one reservation ( from instant booking), but he is not responding to my messages....even if he has one good review. 

Yes it is scary....

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Ragnhild1

I put in my house rules that their ID must match their profile. Personally I do not ask for their ID on arrival if I see that they are the ones in the profile, but I hope that the rule will act as a deterrent. Some newbies this year had a photo where they looked like college kids although they were in their fourties, so I suggested a more realistc photo of the couple. Not all hosts are keen on hosting college kids 🙂 Last year I had a booking from two pairs of feet, so I asked them to provide a proper photo.  If they are unwilling to provide a photo of their face, now that would be a case for concern.

If the guests have nothing in their profile, you can also ask them to update and tell a little bit about themselves.  It is better for all parties that the host/guest is a good match.  

I get some clueless old ladies from time to time, you are likely to get the younger crowd looking for reasonable accomodation in an expensive country. An alternative to the hostels. I get those too from time to time, four young friends cramming into my apartment for the same price as beds in a hostel dorm, but only if I open up single night gap days in my calendar, never for my normal 3 night minimum. They are good guests though, without exception so far.  

Some guests from certain countries in the far east are less well travelled, so I suggest you have a document with detailed directions. Due to high roaming costs they can also be reluctant to use google maps.

Thanks

But is it possible to see their Id somehow in their profile? In my safety requirements I do require that the profile must have an approved Id. But how do I know that it is the same person on the profile picture as in the approved Id? 

Yes, I am on my way to make a direction for gusets:-)

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Ragnhild1

Some are travelling, not on-line at all times and make their reservations on the go.  Totally non-responsive to any message ? Perhaps try a text message before you give up totally. Still no response, contact airbnb. Still no luck, contact airbnb and have them cancel.

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Ragnhild1

No, you cannot see their ID, you can only see the verified badge in their profile and the verifications they have provided in a list.  Our airbnb profile is public, so making the ID public would be huge security concern.  

I cannot see your ID on your profile, you cannot see the guest's ID - it goes both ways.

Thanks for your advices:-)