New to Hosting. Need advise/suggestions

Binoy3
Level 2
Houston, TX

New to Hosting. Need advise/suggestions

Hello Hosts/Entrepreneurs/Friends,

1. Could you guide me into the hosting world? I'm reading up about and researching about the risks involved financially. 2. Could you all give a few mins to write down the do's/don'ts and must dos of this business.

I'm looking to invest in a new home and put it to host on Airbnb. 3. Do realtors and lenders have different rates for airbnb? 4. Also, what if I don't get the expected business to be able to pay the rent in the start?

5. Is it a bad time to Host? especially during this Covid-19 pandemic? 

4 Replies 4
Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

@Binoy3 , here is a basic primer for purchasing both LTR and STR properties.

A requirement for me is that the numbers have to work as a long-term rental (LTR) as well as a short-term rental (STR).  If you can easily rent the property out long term, then you can always fall back on that if for some reason short term renting is temporarily disrupted (like a recession, a pandemic, 9/11, etc.)

Among other algorithms, I use the GRM (gross rent multiplier) as a rule of thumb for viability when analyzing potential properties.  For me, anything less than 10 is good (gross rent per year times 10 being equal to or greater than the purchase price).  You might want to be more or less conservative than this.

For a relatively safe investment, 20-30% down is recommended.  It will open you up to more lenders, and it will give you some padding if for some unforeseen reason (like one of the reasons listed above!) the value of your property goes down and you have to sell at the same time.  Also remember that lenders will only use 75% of actual (if available) or estimated (if not available) rents to determine qualification.  This is to account for things like vacancy, repairs, expenses, etc.

So, suppose a property is listed for $100,000, and say market rents are $1000 a month.

$100,000/($1000 * 12) = 8.33.  So this qualifies under my GRM rules.

Purchase Price    $100,000

Down Payment       30,000

Loan amount           70,000

Amortized over 30 years @4% = $334 per month principal and interest

Now add taxes and insurance

Let’s say it all adds up to $650 a month

Now take your $1000 a month rent and multiply times .75 to account for vacancy and expenses, just like the lenders do.  That comes to $750 a month.  So, this amount should cover your costs most of the time in this scenario.

Please remember that the above are just estimates, and depend on a lot of factors like interest rates, property tax and insurance costs for the area, cost of improvements and repairs, utility costs, age of property, etc.  Also, I am in the US - the rules and considerations in other countries may be different.

Of course, if the area in which the property is located is excellent for short-term rentals (not too saturated, high demand) you can make considerably more than with an LTR, but it is MUCH more work and IMO more risk (as witnessed during this latest pandemic).  But again, you can weather the storm if you can convert to a monthly or long-term rental until things return to normal.

You should also consider how involved you want to be.  You can manage the whole property yourself, get help from a co-host who takes some of the responsibility off your hands, or hire a full-time property management firm.  As you can imagine the costs increase with each of these options.  For STRs you don’t want to completely manage yourself, you can expect to pay 10-50% of gross rents depending on the option you choose.

I think that because of COVID19, most conventional lenders are currently VERY wary of STRs, and are unlikely to approve a loan if income from an STR is being used to qualify.  You may find an in-house lender willing to do it if the short-term rental history is strong, but typically the interest rate/down payment will be higher in that case.

I wish you good luck in your search! 

-Pat

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Binoy3  One really good way to get a picture of the issues that hosts face is to spend some time reading posts here a bit every day or so. Pretty much all the issues hosts deal with come up here. So rather than asking others to try to tell you what it's taken years of experience to learn (and we all have varying experiences), it's really easy to just check in here and find out for yourself. Then if you have specific questions you don't find addressed, ask away.

I have to say, I'm rather surprised you would ask if it's a bad time to host during COVID, when you are from Houston, which has the fastest growing coronoavirus infection rate of anywhere.

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

@Binoy3 Some lenders specifically prevent short-term letting your home for a certain amount of time and the IRS also expects you to live in any house bought as a 'primary residence' for a certain period of time before renting out or it can look like tax fraud. Not sure if you would be calling this a primary residence or not, but these are two more issues you may want to look into. 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Binoy3  you will want to check very carefully what the Houston areas laws are on short term rentals, because that could really affect profitability, and in terms of potential $$ you should check around for similar airbnb's in your area and see how booked they are...of course covid will probably have caused a significant decrease over last year, but its as place to start. 

I don't believe realtors would have a different rate, but the tax rate as well as the mortgage financing rate is usually higher for an investment than for an owner occupied property.