New to hosting

Ashley329
Level 2
Plymouth, MA

New to hosting

I am new to hosting just got my first booking for a month from now. On this forum site I have been reading some pretty negative things. I would like to hear from some of you about your opinions on hosting negative and positive ones or any tips you have for me. Thank you 🙂

4 Replies 4
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Ashley329

The forum tends to attract people who have an issue with a guest - there are millions of host around the world so you need to keep what you see on this site in context. 

As a new host, the most imporant thing to remember is that if guests are sharing a home with you, they will be just as nervous as you are. Be friendly, and keep in touch with them as the date approaches and ensure they have clear information on how to find you.

Finally, keep your house rules simple and walk/talk them through the top 3. For example, how to lock the front door and the importance of doing so, how to turn on the heating or hot water, etc.

@Ashley329 Congratulations on joing the airbnb family. We are fairly new here too in hosting, but what I can tell you is that we have had mostly a great experience in hosting. Met some wonderful people and even made few friends. There is always two sides of the story.. Every once in a while few issue come across but that is the case with every job where Human Element is involved. Most topics on this forum you see are because of the policy change and the impact it may have.. This is also mostly to attrack Airbnb's attention to these issue. But they are not to demoralise a new host. One tip that I would give - Is be as specific and detailed in your listing description and mail communication with the guest as you can. What is sometimes obvious to us is not obvious enough to others. Good luck..

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

Hi @Ashley329 ,

I agree on what @Mathieu-And-Kunj0 and @Gerry-And-Rashid0 have said.

airbnb has 4 Million+ listings, if each of those listings hosts 10 groups of guests per year, we are talking 40,000,000 rentals per year through airbnb. You have to see the complaints in this community center in correlation to these 40 M stays.

I'm hosting for 15 years. Twice I had to throw people out, every year or once every 2 years I have a negative experience and I'm hosting 30 groups a year.

What is the percentage of the worldwide population of 7.5 Billion people that are idiots? 2%, 5%, I don't know. The rest of the people are ok., independent from race and where they come from

Hi @Ashley329

Welcome to Airbnb. Your place looks wonderful and perfect to host on Airbnb.  Agree with @Ute42@Mathieu-And-Kunj0@Gerry-And-Rashid0 the Community is the place where hosts come to complain, vent and support. We have been hosting for 5 years. There are ups and downs but as long as you look at it as another job you will do okay. Since you are new,  would recommend only accepting guests that have positive reviews. Stay away from newbies until you get a few guests and into a comfortable routine. We also make a major effort, if possible, to greet all of our guests. I think this makes it a little more personable for the guests.

Things that are important to you as far as rules, have them in a guest book or binder as well as on your listing. I list the top ones on the very front cover of the binder. Try not to have to many rules but also be clear on what you expect. The one thing we did to prepare back in 2013 was to read a lot of reviews of experienced hosts in towns around us. You can find what guests like, dislike and what made an impression on them. Lots has changed since 2013 and we are going to be changing with it for 2018 but would not have missed this opportunity for anything.

Let us know how it goes.....

Best of luck!!