New trend. Why are Hosts not leaving reviews?

Alex1404
Level 5
Honolulu, HI

New trend. Why are Hosts not leaving reviews?

I've been using Airbnb a lot recently and always leave a review for the host and the place. I've noticed a new trend when hosts are not leaving reviews at all. Hosts message me and say that the place is left sparkling clean and thank me for your stay, but never leave any reviews.

I thought it was a vital part of the Airbnb experience because it helps with future rentals.  In my opinion, there should be a stricter policy in place for hosts violating the rules of reviewing. Is Airbnb doing anything to motivate or follow up with hosts that are not habitually leaving any reviews?  

143 Replies 143

@Helen3 Yes, let us agree to disagree 🙂

I have blocked my calender from January as I need a break but I will make a little note on how the system works for guests to read so it is there when I open up again. 

I agree that things have changed. I started 3 years ago and the place needed work and even so, I would get 5 star reviews because the rating system was explained well to the guests and I mentioned that my place is a work in progress. I also do not think it is up to the hosts to explain the rating system because it would seem we are fishing for good ratings. I got 2 ratings of 3 stars recently within 2 weeks and although I had 3 ratings of 3 stars in the past (over a 3 year period with almost 300 reservations now), it was a long time ago, the place has been massively improved, and it seems like what you are saying is true, i.e., the new rating system is not well explained and way too long and confusing.

The guests have changed too, I used to get full explanations of why they are coming, etc, now it's just "coming to see redwoods." I check in with a note to all guests when they arrive and they used to get back to me telling me that things are well or if they had a request. Now, no answer at all. Could be the way they advertise now, as in the past it was "Live like a local," and now it's more like "Sip wine off the balcony of your castle overlooking the Mediterranean." So yes, it really can be very frustrating.

There are other things too, like I don't allow children under 12, yet in the last month I have had 2 guests that arrived with kids under 12. I think airbnb should help it's hosts out a lot more by telling guests to read everything and be respectful because they are, indeed, coming onto a person's personal property and it is kind of a big thing... They should also explain the rating system, and they should require clear photos and full info from every guest. I really am surprised and upset that they do not do all when a new guest signs up.

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

@Sandra856 

somehow what you say is disappointing. I see it as a duty to review … but I do skip on occasion more by accident. 

@Helen3  thank you for being so positively emphatic. I've found it very helpful and feel thoroughly kicked up the backside!! I have only missed a few opportunities to review. I love to be nice. One bad experience so far and I accidentally missed the deadline. I had to ask them to address damage. They retaliated with a threat of a "£200,000 claim for racism. It was that warning that I needed to issue to other Hosts ... but didn't realise cut off time is the same as our checkout time - not midnight of the 14th day. So beware fellow hosts... in both respects xxx

Janet1039
Level 1
Manchester, United Kingdom

I am slightly annoyed that my host didnt not leave me a review as I gave a glowing one.   If I could, I would remove my review now!

@Janet1039  Why? Was your glowing review not honest? Was your stay suddenly not good simply because the host failed to leave a review? If a host left you an honest, glowing review would you want them to retract it simply because you, for whatever reason, didn't leave a review for the host?

Of course our review should be Annist . Reviews are important for guests as well as hosts. They are mutually beneficial as is the transaction as a whole. Not one-sided. 

Niel3
Level 10
Llanberis, United Kingdom

"In my opinion, there should be a stricter policy in place for hosts violating the rules of reviewing."

This no such rule that states hosts (or guests) must leave reviews, they are a completely optional side process of the AirBNB system. While it's nice to have pleasant things said about us, ultimately the main purpose of AirBNB is for guests to book places and hosts to rent their places out - not really for review collecting. 🙂

Well, why do the hosts have to have a star rating of 4,7 and above? It sounds like a discrepancy and the fact that hosts are afraid to review people that stay with them for the sake of keeping high rating doesn't sound like a great plan.

@Alex1404 I believe there is much more to airbnb than most guests think. I have had I guess 260 + bookings. I have great ratings but this current rating system is crazy. We threatened to be delisted be airbnb if we get under 4,7. We are also being rated and judged after how many guest reviews we get. We have absolutely no way to  control if guests wish to leave a review. And you are right but what can we do? I have had many guests that were happy and satisfied with their stay leaving me 4 stars believing it is a great rating and at the same time airbnb see a 4 star rating as a "need to improve rating" . Are you aware that 5 star means that "everything was as expected" and has nothing to do with luxury? 

Niel3
Level 10
Llanberis, United Kingdom

I have a little welcome sheet in my rooms with a run down of various things in the house, I guess some would say house rules but I like to think of it more as guidelines. The last point I have on it is a little clarification of how a guests' inadvertant 4* or below ratings can impact hosts.

RATING

AirBNB hold hosts to an average 4.7 star rating so anything less than 5 stars will actually have a negative impact on my account. Please, if there is anything that may mean you don’t wish to leave me a 5 star rating for let me know so I can have the opportunity to address any disappointment.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Sandra

Sandra of my 190 reviews, 10 gave me an overall 4 star but, gave me all 5 stars in each of the categories and gave really nice reviews. I should be sitting on 96% 5 star reviews but, because of these perfect reviews which only managed a 4 overall I am currently on 91%. There is nothing in any of those 10 reviews that I can learn anything by, nothing to guide me to be better.

This is typical......

Review Jacinta.png

Sandra the only part of this stay that saw this as a fail was, Airbnb, so I get penalised! It's frustrating because I don't know how to be any better and nobody is telling me to be better.....but my percentage rate of 5 star reviews is slipping, and as you say, Airbnb are all the time raising the bar where 'Stats' are concerned and it won't be long before I lose my Superhost status for no other reason than an oddity in Airbnb review system!

@Alex1404

Alex I do find it strange that hosts do not leave a review of you as a guest Every host wants to build up their review base because...reviews are money in the bank! A lot of good reviews give prospective guests a sense of confidence in making a decision to book! 

I am not trying to be unduly critical here Alex but could it be that this is saying more about you, than the hosts. Hosts are for one reason or another deciding not to review you and could it be that you as a guest are a contributing factor in some way for this decision?

Cheers......Rob

I’ve been getting excellent reviews and never had any problems with reviewing hosts until this new rating system was introduced in July 2018 by Airbnb. Something went wrong and needs to be re-evaluated.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Alex1404

They keep on tweeking the guest review process but, the host review process has not changed since I have been hosting, March 2015, 

For a host the procedure is simple, write a review, then in the next box write short private feedback, then 3 star rating boxes....Cleanliness...Communication....Observance of House rules, and then 'Would you recommend this guest'...thumbs up/thumbs down!

And that is it Alex, you can do it in 45 seconds! It is nowhere near as complicated as the guest review procedure, so nothing has changed about the hosts review procedure in the last 3 years, so that is not to blame here.

Maybe it would be worth a call to Airbnb to find out if your host reviews are going astray somewhere along the line. All my guests are getting my reviews, I always do a cross check and I  am not aware of anyone else having this problem 

Cheers.....Rob

Hi @Robin4 🙂

I'm sorry for my slow reply. I agree with you. I don't think the guests felt that there was something that needed "improvement". They rated you 4 because they are not aware of how the system works. Do you have a little manual explaining them how it works? I don't but I'm really considering making one. I saw some really great ones made by some of the hosts in here. All the  best, Sandra