New trend. Why are Hosts not leaving reviews?

Alex1404
Level 5
Honolulu, HI

New trend. Why are Hosts not leaving reviews?

I've been using Airbnb a lot recently and always leave a review for the host and the place. I've noticed a new trend when hosts are not leaving reviews at all. Hosts message me and say that the place is left sparkling clean and thank me for your stay, but never leave any reviews.

I thought it was a vital part of the Airbnb experience because it helps with future rentals.  In my opinion, there should be a stricter policy in place for hosts violating the rules of reviewing. Is Airbnb doing anything to motivate or follow up with hosts that are not habitually leaving any reviews?  

143 Replies 143

I don't know if a lot of hosts are using hospitable or etc to automate the system, but I'm not sure I would want to leave every guest a review. That seems like a sure fire way to backfire for me.

As is, I do get a lot of guests that leave me 5 star reviews, and also some that would leave me a 4* review since they don't know how the review system works or the stay was less than perfect.

The thing is though, I no longer want to educate guests on the airbnb review system since it could be considered as review fishing. 

Another thing is, I guess hosts that VET their guests using the 'accept/deny reservation' process can possibly afford to review almost every single guest, since they can somewhat control what guests they are getting. For my listings with instant booking turned on, there is no way to control that. UNLESS they have instant booking turned on, and accept every single guest, then I could not take their opinion at face value and do the same thing they're doing since fundamentally it's not the same at all. 

Hazel42
Level 2
Weymouth, United Kingdom

As a host who cared my guests had a great experience,  I was keen to receive feedback and improve where possible.

Now as a guest, I left the place exactly as I found it and praised the host. In reality it was an average place but it suited for the purpose of somewhere to crash near where I wanted to be.

I am therefore miffed I got no review at all.

I had even contacted the host within the 14 days to say I had left a great review and.... not a squeak. It is very frustrating and at risk of sounding whiny,  NOT  FAIR!

Come on airbnb, sort it out.

@Hazel42  I agree that it's lazy of hosts not to bother to review guests. But what do you want Airbnb to sort out- you think that hosts should be forced to leave a review? Personally, I think there's enough hoops we have to jump through without having Airbnb penalizing us if we don't leave review (BTW, I review all my guests).

I don't know if you've ever done this yourself, but when I look at reviews, I often look to see if a host reviews their guests or not. There are hosts who have lots of reviews from guests, yet never reciprocate- they never or seldom leave a review-what another poster on this forum refers to as a "serial non-reviewer". If it's important to you to have reviews as a guest, I'd maybe check to see if a host leaves reviews before booking. If they don't, it's unlikely they'll leave one for you, even if you ask nicely.

Teemu7
Level 2
Espoo, Finland

I don't want to use the review feature. 5 for an okay stay and call Airbnb for serious issues. Public negative reviews are gossip talk that spread personal views to harm the host or guest. Rather discuss feedback among each other and maybe host writes what has been proposed. And give only 5. There is no justification for public negative information and this whole system is callous.

https://abnb.me/71CFDARN07 Entireflatwithbicycles In Pori Finland
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I can't agree with you @Teemu7 

Reviews are an important part of how the Airbnb Community works.

Discussing issues privately between hosts and guests does not serve to warn guests looking to stay at a listing of potential issues at a listing. Nor does discussing things privately serve to warn hosts of problem guests who may have caused damage or partied.

Review systems are not just common on Airbnb but also on other listing companies.

By the way you might want to consider reducing the number of beds/sleeping spaces you have in your listing, it does make the place look rather overcrowded and might be leading to some of your lower ratings, as space does appear limited.

Freedom to opinions doesn't mean that they are well argumented and harmless. Leaving subjective comments seems waste of time or harmful.

I've had a five person band and families sleeping on the floor mattresses and five stars.

https://abnb.me/71CFDARN07 Entireflatwithbicycles In Pori Finland

I agree also. I spend a lot of time writing good reviews and if there are issues during the stay I communicate with the hosts and when checking out I'll send private messages.  It's just extremely rude when you spend money and take the time to write a nice review and the host doesn't care, they just want their money.  So what I do now is I wait until the 14th day and if they haven't wrote one I will have to change my review and put correspondence to 1 star.   Just that category as it is relevant as they aren't corresponding with me.  Tbh I haven't had to do it yet but I may  as it seems Fair to me.  It's imporant and respectful to treat someone appropriately, I'm sure hosts get multiple emails, my latest stay might get the one star 😞

Respectfully disagree completely. Reviews help make this thing go. 

I agree.  When when I book a hotel or what have you,  I don't read the reviews. I don't care.   The location is good,  the price is right,  I book.  I could care less about reviews especially the bad ones because I am familiar with the type of people who writes them ....!