New trend. Why are Hosts not leaving reviews?

Alex1404
Level 4
Honolulu, HI

New trend. Why are Hosts not leaving reviews?

I've been using Airbnb a lot recently and always leave a review for the host and the place. I've noticed a new trend when hosts are not leaving reviews at all. Hosts message me and say that the place is left sparkling clean and thank me for your stay, but never leave any reviews.

I thought it was a vital part of the Airbnb experience because it helps with future rentals.  In my opinion, there should be a stricter policy in place for hosts violating the rules of reviewing. Is Airbnb doing anything to motivate or follow up with hosts that are not habitually leaving any reviews?  

143 Replies 143

Thanks for your response, Robin. Problem is, when I first set up my account, I used a different email. Then I changed it to my regular email. Now I am being emailed on my original email to leave a review for my first guests. But when I try to do so, I receive a message saying 'you do not have access to this.' I have tried reverting to my original email address, but then I'm told that that email has already been taken. How can I leave my guests a review?

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Afric1

You will need to get onto customer support and they will be able to sort this out for you. It is always hard for new users to understand how the platform works. It will come with experience but at this stage you need a bit of professional guideance.

The phone number for Airbnb in Ireland is +353 1 697 1831, if you call that number they will sort this out for you.

All the best mate.

Cheers.....Rob

Hi Afric1 

Regardless of the email you used, you should get your messages direct in the App or even better on your PC. 
If you are having difficulties with the APP, I always find that I can access things better in a Browser. 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Emiel1,

Good to hear your feelings on this. 

What would you suggest would help to encourge more hosts to leave reviews? 

Thanks,
Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

@Lizzie 

I am late to this game as I was searching out how to respond to a host who doesn't leave reviews when she's a guest. And it turns out, she doesn't leave reviews when she's a host either.

While I shut down my AirBNB during the early part of the pandemic, after starting back up in July, I have been hard-pressed to get guests to leave reviews. I'm not making the 50% cut off which puts my Superhost status in jeopardy. Personally, I don't think it's fair to penalize hosts for the lack of an action by guests; something completely beyond our control. 

I have a simple solution for people (hosts and guests) who don't leave reviews.
Guests and hosts who do not review at least 75% of their stays will earn a badge that identifies them as a "Non Participant" in the review process. 

Guests earning this badge will lose the ability to Instant Book, so the next time they try to IB a location, they receive the following pop-up:
      "We have suspended your ability to Instant Book due to your lack of participation in the review process. If you would like your Instant Book abilities restored, please make sure to maintain a 75% review rate."

The hosts should also receive a pop up with the guest's reservation request that gives hosts the option to decline their reservation, penalty-free. 
      "This guest has been identified as someone who does not consistently participate in the review process. Do you wish to decline their reservation request without penalty? [  ] Yes  [  ] No"

If the host declines the reservation, the guest should receive the message,
      "This host has declined your request due to your lack of participation in the review process. To avoid this penalty, please make sure to review at least 75% of your stays."

Hosts earning this badge will also lost the right as a guest to Instant Book and the same pop-up alert should show up for any hosts they try to book with. Furthermore, any guest who books with the host will receive a pop-up message saying:
       "This host has been identified as someone who does not consistently participate in the review process. Do you wish to continue your reservation with this host? [   ] Yes   [   ] No"

If someone doesn't review 3 consecutive stays as a host or guest, they are suspended for 30 days.

If you're not willing to do something like this, you need to remove the review penalty from Superhost requirements. It's absolutely improper to penalize a host for the actions, or lack thereof, by guests.

Money talks.. fine them a penalty perhaps. 

@Lorraine401  Get fined for not leaving a review? What a bizarre idea.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Lizzie,

The posting is about what Airbnb should do more to encourage hosts leaving reviews. They could give a host some kind of "soft" penalty when not writing a review. But as i am rather lazy on writing reviews, i shoot myself in the foot by recommending such features. So i prefer to be silence...

Best regards,

Emiel

You should not be eligible for super host status if you fail to review your guest.

Lenore22
Level 10
California, United States

That's so tricky, tho-- we see time & time again how well-intentioned policies like this go wrong in practice.  For example, I just had a guest cancel before check-in.  I issued a full refund... I feel like this is a done transaction with no need to review from either party, but I'm being pestered by Airbnb to write a review.  This is a new user with 0 reviews and I don't think a new user with 0 reviews should be able to "build a resume" with last-minute cancellations.  I also don't feel right writing a review- other than the cancellation, I have absolutely nothing to say about this person as a guest.

@Lenore22 So maybe leave that as a review- "This guest made a last minute cancellation and did not stay". 

At least that warns other hosts that not only is she a new user, she thinks it's okay to cancel right before check-in leaving the host in the lurch.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

@Lizzie , simple. Every review written, by host or guest, goes into a draw to win travel credit. A small expense for Airbnb, a huge win. Can be a smaller monthly amount, or a bigger annual. Good for promotional use too! I think reviewing percentages would increase substantially. 

Lenore22
Level 10
California, United States

love this idea.

Sandra856
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

Hi @Alex1404 🙂

Airbnb's rating system is harsh. Airbnb changed it to be even harsher this Summmer meaning that airbnb now expects every host to have at least 4,7 out of 5. It means that if I'm not sure I will get a 5 star rating from a guest I don't review them. If I do they will get a notification that I reviewed them and it is more likely that they then will leave me a review. I have had many guest that did not knew what a 4 star rating means for a host. I currently have 2 guests that I haven't left a review because I'm unsure how they will rate me. I'm quite sure it could be the reason for this new trend. 

Best, Sandra

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Sandra I'm sorry I don't agree with your approach 

I review all my guests, and think hosts who don't review their guests should be penalised.

Our whole community is built on trust. Hosts who don't review their guests are doing both their guests and other hosts a dis-service.

@Alex1404 I am sorry your host didn't leave you a review. Either they were too lazy - even though it only takes a minute or two, or like Sandra they are worried about a negative review.

@sandra if you are worried that guests don't understand the rating system then explain it to them.