New trend. Why are Hosts not leaving reviews?

Alex1404
Level 4
Honolulu, HI

New trend. Why are Hosts not leaving reviews?

I've been using Airbnb a lot recently and always leave a review for the host and the place. I've noticed a new trend when hosts are not leaving reviews at all. Hosts message me and say that the place is left sparkling clean and thank me for your stay, but never leave any reviews.

I thought it was a vital part of the Airbnb experience because it helps with future rentals.  In my opinion, there should be a stricter policy in place for hosts violating the rules of reviewing. Is Airbnb doing anything to motivate or follow up with hosts that are not habitually leaving any reviews?  

143 Replies 143
Janet1039
Level 1
Manchester, United Kingdom

I am slightly annoyed that my host didnt not leave me a review as I gave a glowing one.   If I could, I would remove my review now!

@Janet1039  Why? Was your glowing review not honest? Was your stay suddenly not good simply because the host failed to leave a review? If a host left you an honest, glowing review would you want them to retract it simply because you, for whatever reason, didn't leave a review for the host?

Of course our review should be Annist . Reviews are important for guests as well as hosts. They are mutually beneficial as is the transaction as a whole. Not one-sided. 

Hi @Helen3 🙂

I always review guests if I feel that I need to warn fellow hosts about them of course. And I also always review a guest if I get a notification that they reviewed me. But as I write I don't review a guest if they don't review me and if I'm uncertain that they understand the system and feel they might downrate me. I'm a softy and this harsh system really gets to me. I can feel it in my stomach when I get a notification that a guest reviewed me. So I guess it is a way to just protect myself and a way of being tactic in this lottery.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Sorry I don't agree  with your approach.

As I said previously, if you don't feel guests understand the review system, help to educate them about it. Don't deny them a review.

Why do you feel they might mark you down?

Your approach is highly unfair to guests who rely on their reviews to be accepted by other hosts.

@Helen3 I don't really deny my guests a review. If they review me I always review them. I don't think it is my responsibility to educate my guests. I have many 1 nighters. It seems to me that some people do not understand @Alex1404 question. He asks WHY it could be that hosts stopped reviewing him and I explain WHY I think it could be. What kind of approach I have to the system is somehow irrelevant. I still believe that the current system most likely is the problem. And I can understand why hosts choose to navigate so they wont drown. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

We will need to agree to disagree.

I think it is wrong for hosts to either not leave a review for guests at all or only review those who review them first.

It is not fair on guests.

You feel you are right to do this.

I have many one nighters it doesn't stop me reviewing them, or them reviewing me.

As hosts if we want fair reviews of course it helps if we educate our guests on the rating system.

A note about this in your guest book takes no effort at all.

@Helen3 Yes, let us agree to disagree 🙂

I have blocked my calender from January as I need a break but I will make a little note on how the system works for guests to read so it is there when I open up again. 

I agree that things have changed. I started 3 years ago and the place needed work and even so, I would get 5 star reviews because the rating system was explained well to the guests and I mentioned that my place is a work in progress. I also do not think it is up to the hosts to explain the rating system because it would seem we are fishing for good ratings. I got 2 ratings of 3 stars recently within 2 weeks and although I had 3 ratings of 3 stars in the past (over a 3 year period with almost 300 reservations now), it was a long time ago, the place has been massively improved, and it seems like what you are saying is true, i.e., the new rating system is not well explained and way too long and confusing.

The guests have changed too, I used to get full explanations of why they are coming, etc, now it's just "coming to see redwoods." I check in with a note to all guests when they arrive and they used to get back to me telling me that things are well or if they had a request. Now, no answer at all. Could be the way they advertise now, as in the past it was "Live like a local," and now it's more like "Sip wine off the balcony of your castle overlooking the Mediterranean." So yes, it really can be very frustrating.

There are other things too, like I don't allow children under 12, yet in the last month I have had 2 guests that arrived with kids under 12. I think airbnb should help it's hosts out a lot more by telling guests to read everything and be respectful because they are, indeed, coming onto a person's personal property and it is kind of a big thing... They should also explain the rating system, and they should require clear photos and full info from every guest. I really am surprised and upset that they do not do all when a new guest signs up.

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

@Sandra856 

somehow what you say is disappointing. I see it as a duty to review … but I do skip on occasion more by accident. 

@Helen3  thank you for being so positively emphatic. I've found it very helpful and feel thoroughly kicked up the backside!! I have only missed a few opportunities to review. I love to be nice. One bad experience so far and I accidentally missed the deadline. I had to ask them to address damage. They retaliated with a threat of a "£200,000 claim for racism. It was that warning that I needed to issue to other Hosts ... but didn't realise cut off time is the same as our checkout time - not midnight of the 14th day. So beware fellow hosts... in both respects xxx

Niel3
Level 10
Llanberis, United Kingdom

"In my opinion, there should be a stricter policy in place for hosts violating the rules of reviewing."

This no such rule that states hosts (or guests) must leave reviews, they are a completely optional side process of the AirBNB system. While it's nice to have pleasant things said about us, ultimately the main purpose of AirBNB is for guests to book places and hosts to rent their places out - not really for review collecting. 🙂

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Disagree. Review collecting is one of the main features of Airbnb and Guests have told me they chose my place for the reviews I've received. I would also be very cautious about accepting a Guest with reviews that hint at a Guest being careless or inconsiderate.

Well, why do the hosts have to have a star rating of 4,7 and above? It sounds like a discrepancy and the fact that hosts are afraid to review people that stay with them for the sake of keeping high rating doesn't sound like a great plan.

@Alex1404 I believe there is much more to airbnb than most guests think. I have had I guess 260 + bookings. I have great ratings but this current rating system is crazy. We threatened to be delisted be airbnb if we get under 4,7. We are also being rated and judged after how many guest reviews we get. We have absolutely no way to  control if guests wish to leave a review. And you are right but what can we do? I have had many guests that were happy and satisfied with their stay leaving me 4 stars believing it is a great rating and at the same time airbnb see a 4 star rating as a "need to improve rating" . Are you aware that 5 star means that "everything was as expected" and has nothing to do with luxury?