New trend. Why are Hosts not leaving reviews?

Alex1404
Level 5
Honolulu, HI

New trend. Why are Hosts not leaving reviews?

I've been using Airbnb a lot recently and always leave a review for the host and the place. I've noticed a new trend when hosts are not leaving reviews at all. Hosts message me and say that the place is left sparkling clean and thank me for your stay, but never leave any reviews.

I thought it was a vital part of the Airbnb experience because it helps with future rentals.  In my opinion, there should be a stricter policy in place for hosts violating the rules of reviewing. Is Airbnb doing anything to motivate or follow up with hosts that are not habitually leaving any reviews?  

143 Replies 143
Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

With the removal of the 50% review from guests requirement for SuperHost, I suspect that fewer hosts will feel obligated to review guests at all.

I know that many hosts felt that the 50% review requirement was unfair, but, without this, I think AirBNB risks becoming just like every other platform. Another piece of the "community" ethos has been removed.

@Susan151  I, for one, will continue to review all my guests, as I have in the past. I certainly never understood the 50% review requirement- I can't see how one can be rated on someone else's behavior. It would have made way more sense to rate hosts on the % of reviews they leave for guests, rather than the other way around, and I'd not mind be rated on that. I hope you're wrong, and that hosts will continue to review, as it helps other hosts.

I have to say I've been lucky- I had a 100% review rate- all  my guests in the past year left a review, which I gather is somewhat unusual. Before that, since I started hosting, I think only 2 guests didn't bother to leave a review. But that high review rate may have something to do with me letting guests know that hosts got rated on the % of reviews that were submitted for them.

@Susan151 @Sarah977 

It's only a matter of time until the ability to review guests is removed completely. The vast majority of guests (even great ones!) hate the prospect of being reviewed by hosts - they go on holiday to chill, not to be critiqued as soon as they depart - and hosts leaving petty, nit-picky reviews of their guests for the silliest of things, hasn't done us any favours either. 

It's common knowledge now in the STR world that there's way too much drama and hysteria over Airbnb reviews - from both sides - and dealing with incessant review disputes is costing Airbnb dearly in terms of time, manpower and resources. Not an ideal situation, at a time when an IPO on the horizon will be drawing intense scrutiny from current and potential investors. 

More crucially, of course, is the fact that guests with bad reviews - well, those who haven't twigged yet that they can simply close their sullied account, and open a shiny fresh new one - will struggle to have their bookings accepted by hosts. Airbnb are already going to great lengths to simplify the booking process and remove all potential barriers to entry, so abolishing guest reviews altogether would be the next logical step on the path to ratcheting up the figures. 

Alon1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Susan17 

re. "It's only a matter of time..."

A few weeks ago I posted that I no longer have Thumbs Up / Down option. It's been replaced by 'Would you host X again', Yes / No.  -- In other words, a public endorsement mutated into a personal decision.

At the time this change had not been rolled out universally, as others responded still had Thumbs Up / Down.

Yet, in your prospective scenario, while Hosts won't be able to review Guests; do you imply that Guests will still be able to Review Hosts?

If so, I would only add that in my perusal of Reviews from both parties on mine and others listings, it seems far more common of Guest reviews to contain 'petty, nit picky' comments 'for the silliest of things'. -- This is evidently in large part due to the home work & exam like questions Airbnb sets for Guests in Review, that encourages them to be virtual house inspectors. A significant number of Guests seem to take to the task with relish.

Otherwise, I would only reiterate that following the saturation of the London market;

the vast majority of my guests are no longer those 'on holiday to chill'. 

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

OMG Its been removed? Crazy. I agree with you @Susan151  (though you look male so am confused) I think its a vital part of what we do. And as a Guest would be upset not to receive. Bring it back AIRBNB xx

Sherry237
Level 2
Trussville, AL

Also after 14 days if you left a review for the host it will post on their listing! I left the house in better condition then when I arrived left them glowing review then ..... nothing. I checked back to see if they had any other reviews and was surprised to see my review there for them still nothing for me. Contacted Airbnb and they said the review even if only one party leaves it becomes public after 14 days. 

I do understand it takes time to write a review. But on the other hand,  i think hosts should take it as custom service. It takes time from me too; first im answering questions about details of apartment (was there parking place, steps, is it easy to reach with wheelchair, how was kitchen equipment...) 

Then i write some private tips for host (such as is there everything needed, should you add more info about something to your "add" etc.). After that im writing the actual review. Usually i have to use google translate etc, cause english is not my native language. I mean sure, i could write this all in finnish, but i guess it would not help you much :D. 

Hi @Saara8 🙂

For me it has never been about the time but more about guests not understanding how Airbnb's review system is put together. My own experience is that most Europeans (unless they are very young /used to using Uber, internet platforms etc.) then there is a very big chance that they don't know that leaving less than a full plate of 5 stars will ruin the host's stats. Airbnb expects a full plate of 5 stars from all hosts no matter the budget the host got. The requirements from Airbnb is 4,7 and up. 

If I leave a review the guest will get a notification that I left a review and there is a bigger chance that the guest will leave a review that might be less than a full plate of 5's.

I have hosted almost 6 years now and last year after 5 years of hosting I added an explanation on my listing for my guests to read before they book. It was to stressful and to annoying being downrated simply because the guests didn't know that the ratings guest's leave got an impact on where the listing is placed when a new guest are searching for a place to stay. It has helped a lot. I'm no longer stressed out and I'm not getting downrated by guests who doesn't know they are downrating my listing by rating me with 4 star ratings. Are you aware that a 5 star rating means nothing more than that everything was as described in the listing including the location? A less than 5 star rating in any category is seen as if something wasn't as described and that the place was lacking somehow. 

I guess we can blame airbnb for not explaining how the system is put together :-).

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sethporges/2016/06/29/the-one-issue-with-airbnb-reviews-that-causes-hos...

Best, Sandra 

Exactly 

Tish6
Level 3
Saundersfoot, United Kingdom

You could write it all in Finnish, all reviews can be translated into English from the language they are written in

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

@Alex1404 

Great point Alex. I agree! xx

Teemu7
Level 2
Espoo, Finland

Aand you can't know the truth unless you reflect with the other person, and not let some anonymous stranger vote.

https://abnb.me/71CFDARN07 Entireflatwithbicycles In Pori Finland

I have tested all theories, if I complain about something during my stay to the host I never get a review. 

So even if there's a problem I always tell them through private message that I'm going to leave 5 stars, it was great etc. Then I always get a review.

So based on my own study I can assure you that the main reason isn't laziness but rather reputation protection. 

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

One swallow does not a summer make, @Mj70, despite what your study of one might tell you.