New upcoming airbnb requirement to provide sheets, towels, toilet paper, and soap.

New upcoming airbnb requirement to provide sheets, towels, toilet paper, and soap.

In the airbnb app I noticed today that beginning in June/July 2018, airbnb will require all hosts to provide linens/sheets, towels, toilet paper, and soap.

This seems a little ridiculous to us (and other hosts we've talked to) as there is already a filter guests can use if they want such things to be provided. There are many vacation rental areas where this is uncommon and guests are expected to bring their own linens/towels/etc, especially for areas that are more frequented by driving visitors rather than flying visitors. That's how hosts are able to keep costs/hassle down and pass that savings onto guests.

Our house does not not have a washer/dryer so this means we'll have to rent sheets and towels at our own cost for literally every rental, and pay extra to the cleaning company to place said sheets.

Really hoping airbnb reconsiders this requirement, or we'll be forced to take our business/listing elsewhere.

72 Replies 72
Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi @Susa3n

The following issued by New York State health dept seems to agree that hoovering and cleaning daily is very helpful.

https://www.health.ny.gov/

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Id rather take my chances  in a 5 star hotel than some dingy B&B any day, and any other accommodation where  the host thinks,providing a towel is somehow not standard .....it really sums up the race to the bottom regarding hosting standards

@Susan17  There was one poor host on AirBnB that had guests leave another AirBnB because of bed bugs that failed to tell her this, she only found out after they had been there for 3 days and were leaving. They mentioned it was so nice she didn't have bed bugs like their first place did. They were at the other place for 4 days before showing up at her's. Guess what her listing was shut down for bed bugs a few weeks later when her current guests complained about them. Granted she should have been a little more proactive after hearing this, but still she got them through nothing she did wrong. @Victoria567 doesn't read a lot of posts in full before responding in a bunch of cases I have found. I usually just state to disregard the above information as it's totally incorrect or makes no sense when I come across it. It does not matter how clean you keep your place or what amenities you offer you are always susceptible to bed bugs. 

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi @Letti0

I do not read through the whole thread, but I will comment on a particular response.

Natural conversations will meander or points of view, change throughout the discussion and responses given as a result.

It’s a bit impertinent to blatently dictate to others to disregard other posters points of view out of hand, without a justified reason apart from the fact it makes no sense to you or if you are actually obtuse.

Here in the U.K. we call it free speech.

They are mostly family vacation cottages, some over 100 years old.  They were built to accomodate extended families during the summer.  Families drove or took the train to them.  They took their household and bed linens with them because they would get musty if they were stored in an unheated house and laundry facilities at the cottage were usually very limited, think a washtub and a pot of water on the wood cookstove.

The owners often take their favorite weeks for the family, then have them as bare-house rentals for the rest of the summer, as they have for generations.  Rentals are the only reason many of these legacy owners can afford to keep these classic summer homes.

There's a sizeable proportion of the world's population that would consider the fluoridated water of certain parts of the UK to be anything *but* potable. 

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

@Susan0

And guess what they've got great teeth!

All their own strong pearly whites 

Only 3% of the population in western Europe is currently consuming fluoridated water, Victoria - it's banned everywhere else, for good reason. And despite not fluoridating its water, tooth decay rates in the countries that no longer allow it, are no higher than in the very few countries that do still fluoridate their water.

And let's be honest here, naturally sparkling gnashers aren't really a predominant feature of the great British (or Irish) public - if they were, dental tourism to a number of Eastern European countries wouldn't be such a boom industry, now would it?  

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

The reason fluoridation is not more widespread is the opinion held by some that adding a "medication" or other substance is the thin end of the  wedge for some folks in that it infringes their personal liberties.

It is the fear that any future government of the day can add other substances to the populations' water supply to suit the government public policy of the day.

@Susan0

Whatever you do ,don't holiday in Moray as there naturally occurring levels of fluoride in the water .

Regarding the British public dental health, we have free dental health care until 18 years old, including oral hygeine lessons in primary school.

The reason for  private health tourism to countries you mention is not only the rise of  Fear of missing out and keeping up with the likes of the CarCrashians and their ilk but lack of dental hygiene a cause of tooth decay.

Im in my sixties and I have every single one of  my teeth as does my husband and my offspring.

I forgot to mention I also provide toothpaste and floss for my guests too as well as sanitary towels and tampons as standard along with linens etc.

I am not interested in the race to the bottom regarding hosting standards or price or the cut price cheapskate values that accompany this mentality.

One thing to bear in mind Victoria - many of the hosts you're slagging off  and looking down your nose at have been operating very successful, very popular, very professional and very highly rated hospitality businesses since long before Airbnb ever came into existence, and since long before  you started renting out a couple of rooms in your home as an Airbnb host. They've probably already forgotten more about the hospitality industry than amateurs like you or I will ever learn. 

And Airbnb or no Airbnb, those niche hosts will continue operating successfully long into the future too.  Whether or not your approval is given, doesn't matter a whit. 

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi@Susan

I honestly don't see how professionalism = basic lack of amenities.

Im not looking down my nose at them, as I'm flabbergasted, as are others on this forum,that hosts should be upset at having to provide basic amenities.

Im not looking for approval but just voicing my disapproval that some hosts are so peeved about providing the basics particularly in rich Western countries.

Different strokes for different folks with accommodation standards to match.

Then some hosts wonder why bookings are down?

We recently stayed with friends on Martha's Vineyard and NO owner provides linens. It is just expected on the island that visitors rent their linens from a local service and return them.

I really wish Airbnb would get some people on to their staff who have more than a limited knowledge of travel around the world. These new rules are concerning - not because they impact me (we provide linens and have laundry on site) - but because it speaks to a broader issue of understanding how vacations homes work or don't work in various areas around the world.

We provide a small cake of soap, shampoo and conditioner all laid out nicely on the towels at the foot of the bed. My latest tenant recently complained that he had run out of soap. They are a seven day rental, how much soap am I supposed to provide.?