New upcoming airbnb requirement to provide sheets, towels, toilet paper, and soap.

New upcoming airbnb requirement to provide sheets, towels, toilet paper, and soap.

In the airbnb app I noticed today that beginning in June/July 2018, airbnb will require all hosts to provide linens/sheets, towels, toilet paper, and soap.

This seems a little ridiculous to us (and other hosts we've talked to) as there is already a filter guests can use if they want such things to be provided. There are many vacation rental areas where this is uncommon and guests are expected to bring their own linens/towels/etc, especially for areas that are more frequented by driving visitors rather than flying visitors. That's how hosts are able to keep costs/hassle down and pass that savings onto guests.

Our house does not not have a washer/dryer so this means we'll have to rent sheets and towels at our own cost for literally every rental, and pay extra to the cleaning company to place said sheets.

Really hoping airbnb reconsiders this requirement, or we'll be forced to take our business/listing elsewhere.

72 Replies 72
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Rachel-And-Omar-Marius0

There are quite a few threads on this topic already.  

One can list a tent pitch, but linen and towels need to be provided.  It does not make much sense.

Luckily there are other platforms well suited for holiday homes.

Jason497
Level 2
Gothenburg, Sweden

I would like to add my voice to the community questioning Airbnb's upcoming rrquest that all hosts provide bedding and towels. The whole point of the Airbnb model (or so I understood it) was that hosts can choose -  and well document for potential guests - the level of service we are able to/ wish to proivde. I tested 3 rental sites including Airbnb and have recently pulled down one of the others and resigned the contract required by the 3rd having concluded that Airbnb suited best.... Then came this cold shower of a notice. I tried the bed linen and towels service at the outset last year. It was difficult and inefficient to maintain for reasons I wont post publicly. In Scandinavia it is not even standard practice to provide bed linen och towels. Things have run so much more smoothly for all involved since I stopped providing this. As another host has already pointed out i this conversation: it is made clear through the filter system that these items are not included so guests requiring these services need not see my place. I strongly urge Airbnb to reconsider this across the board condition and instead continue to let host & guest find each other based on standards offered and matching standards sought. 

Agreed, this is nonsense. It would be better if they simply made holiday seekers make a selection as whether they want to pay more for sheets/towels or byo.  Geez this could put people out of business and cost families an extrav$50 bucks. What’s the point!

Hariet0
Level 2
Smithfield, VA

I too disagree with the new amenities policy.  We rent a cottage at the beach and the house is fully equipped, beds have mattress covers, pillows and comforters. I do leave kitchen wash rags, towels and a bath mat as many people forget those and they are easy to have extra. However, as most beach rentals in our area we require that guests supply their own sheets and towels.  In order to supply these I will have to buy them and then pay the cleaning company extra to wash and fold. This cost will need to be passed to the guests.  I have never had a guests complain.  On the rare occasion when I have had an international or long range guests I will supply linens at a modest upcharge or refer them to a local linen rental company. This has always worked.

I will have to reconsider using Airbnb when this is effective. At some point it is not worth it.

Can someone tell me if I have already made reservations do I need to add the new required amenities?  What is the effective date?

Gary287
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

I'm researching this topic as well because we have a rental cottage in Canada. Most rental cottages don't include bed linens and towels, for that matter Toilet Paper, and Paper towels, soap, shampoo, are usually not provided either. We have an ample supply of pillows, and comforters, cleaning supplies, and everything else required. Where we have our cottage, we don't have room for a Washer/Dryer, this would take away from the appeal of having a rustic lake/cottage in the woods, and I would have to pay additional fees for our cleaner to take all the linens and towels, clean them and bring them back. Most people that rent cottages, are used to having to bring these items with them, and they're prepared to do so, based on the knowledge that they know the size of the beds, and how many guests are coming with them, we've not had any issues up to this point, and will be very disappointed if we have to pull our listing down because of this. 

If the linens are provided, do the beds have to be made up, or can they just be left inside of a closet? 

I can't imagine renting out a cottage or room and not providing sheets, towels, toilet paper and soap.  these are basic amenities.

I rented an apartment in Barcelona with my daughter and the first thing we did there was go out and buy loo rolls.... insane.

@Helen56 wrote:

I can't imagine renting out a cottage or room and not providing sheets, towels, toilet paper and soap.  these are basic amenities.

I rented an apartment in Barcelona with my daughter and the first thing we did there was go out and buy loo rolls.... insane.

!00 percent agreed. This must be provided, it's basic and hard for guests to just go out anf buy. This is a basic cost of business,

But again, some hosts aren't able to maintain sheets and towels for a myriad of reasons. The Airbnb model is all about hosts stating clearly what they can provide and what guests need to fix themselves. Based on that hosts and guests find good matches based on those filters. Since this discussion last year, I went with Airbnb's compromis recommendation of at least offering bedding & towels services.... which I charge for. (As standard - so without cost: each bathroom is always equipped with a fresh hand towel and there are 2 or 3 drying towels in the kitchen for drying washing up of course). Of all my bookings since then - and I have a high volume of guests during all periods I open for - just one guest has used this service with one more pre-booked for this coming Spring. So I will continue to offer the service but it is rarely sought after. BTW: loo rolls, soap, shampoo, washing up liquid and dishwasher tablets I totally agree with.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Gary287

In more than 90% of hosting situations around the world Linens, towels and toiletries are provided as an accepted standard part of the listing.

Now having said that, there are accommodation pockets such as camping cabins, trailer homes, seaside cottages and widerness retreats where these facilities are not automatically provided.

Unfortunately you may have been caught up in that latter group with your lovely lakeside listing Gary.

The reason this was introduced is, too many hosts in heavy residential areas were not providing (what was regarded as basic for the area)  in the way of accommodation requirements leading to confusion and disputes between hosts and guests.

So Airbnb have mandated a standard minimum requirement! Now this is not saying you have to do it and make up that bed, hang those towels out. You can still say in your listing description that yours is a self service facility and guests have the standard option of using their own bedding materials but, use of supplied linens and towels which are available on the property can be arranged at an additional cost.

So Gary, the beds don't have to be made up, but the materials required to make them up must be on hand!

We can all see problems ahead with this ruling regulation. Guests will simply help themselves if the supply of these items is not secure leading to dispute issues. If the supply is secure and the host authorises the additional items use, how will the guest access them as sometimes communication can be difficult in some of these areas?

I guess we are going to find out more as that July deadline draws near Gary I hope a compromise can be worked out for hosts in your situation.

We will all keep watching this situation with keen interest.

Chers.....Rob

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Isn't this subject covered under Amenities (i.e. Essentials) already? The guest could see whether towels and linens are offered or not. 

I am also of the mentality that Airbnb is wanting more uniformity in their listings and they are indeed wanting to change their base model.

The original model may be turning out much too costly and way too complex.

Appears more they want to move more upmarket. They seem to want more higher priced rentals. But this gets away from thier roots. I do provide all the required gear but then my guests a fly in fly out public transport people. It should be for the host to decide what to and what not to provide. As long as it is clear there should not be a problem. You rightly say that guests can see in the listing if these things are provided.

A lot of people are hapy to provide thier own and keep the cost down. This policy could deprive them of an affordable place to sleep.

Damian58
Level 1
Clovelly, Australia

I too have a house in a remote coastal area where it is not economic to provide linen and towels and where it has been traditional for decades for guests to bring their own towels and linen.  It is barely economical to rent the house as it is and this will mean it is not worth the hassle...at least not through airbnb.

I strongly agree with Airbnb, that these basic essentials are mandatory requirements. If you're a host who thinks otherwise, then I believe you need to seriously think about being kind, respectful and just basically understanding that you need to work to get Guests enjoying their experience. Toilet paper must be supplied and at least have a bed made up before they arrive.

Sorry but I disagree. I've been renting cottages in Ontario for years, before we ventured into buying one on our own, and almost every cottage we've ever rented it was expected that you bring everything with you. 

I do provide excellent service for my guests, and I don't think this has anything to do with being kind and respectful. 

Soap, Toilet Paper, Pillows, are easy, in fact, most of the time they're at my cottage anyway, but we don't have any laundry facilities, and it adds quite a bit to my costs to go buy double towels, and bed sheets for guests, that have to be cleaned by a service and brought back each time the place is cleaned. Easier for guests to bring there own from home. If they're coming from out of town, long distance it can be provided to them for an additional fee, which is the way it is worked out now.