Newly created guests

Adrian291
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Newly created guests

I just joined the hosting community less than a week ago. Since then I’ve had two requests from individuals with no profile picture and who joined AirBnB in July 2018, i.e. very recently. One asked a banal question about a washing machine, the other for my precise address.

I am about to decline the second person as well, for fear of it being a scam. Just hoping to hear from others whether that’s the right love.

Thanks all!

Adrian

4 Replies 4

Hi @Adrian291, you can ask both of them nicely to get they profile updated. Also for the second guest I wouldn't anymore than s/he is new in Airbnb and doesn't know how it works. You can explain that Airbnb only provides the adress when you accept the reservation. If they are concerned as being too far from another place you can just tell them "more or less" where you are situated.

Exam: Apartment is at the east of Hide Park, at 5 min walking from...

I would talk and ask questions before deciding not to accept.

Good luck!

John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

@Adrian291  I had the exact same situation when I first joined up back in March. I had back to back requests from people who had just joined. Being new, I was concerned they were some type of scam as well.  I declined the one, without a photo or any other information. She had also asked about dogs when my listing clearly states no dogs allowed.

My place is in a very small market, with only about 20 homes on AirBnb, so later on when I was reading some reviews on competing properties, I saw that person had indeed stayed at one of the other places and thus was legitimate. 

Since then, I've gotten several requests from people who have just joined and I have accepted them all. Most of them had at least a few things like photos and a few verifications, but two of them have not. I have simply welcomed them to AirBnb and explained to them that the AirBnb community is built on trust and that almost any host will ask them to upload a photo, create some verifications and add a little into to their profile. They both seemed happy that I explained things and ended up working on their profiles and then booking, being great guests. 

Hope this helps! 

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Adrian291, never ever give out your address. They should be able to tell from the Airbnb map roughly where your property is and they will get the exact address details once they have booked. Many people don't have photos but I usually politely ask for them to upload a photo of themselves before accepting a booking. Just be careful of declining too many people as this can look bad on your ratings.

Lilian20
Level 10
Argelès-sur-Mer, France

@Adrian291

I get that all the times, learn to deal efficiently with all these newly created accounts because 90% of them are genuine people who are only doing their best to take part into the airbnb community and enjoy its hosting style.