No Baths Allowed

Answered!
Ellen104
Level 4
Denver, CO

No Baths Allowed

I recently updated my listing to add a House Rule of no sit-down bathing or filling the bathtub with water allowed - Showering ONLY.

I share a bathroom with my guests and do my best to spot clean (quick 5 minute or less onceover) throughout the stay. 

I find that when guests take baths, it really requires a more in-depth cleaning than I can accomodate during a stay (I find it rude to clean with guests around).  I personally do not take baths for this exact reason. 

Also, I have an antique bathtub which was recently reglazed.  Additional/excessive cleaning can ruin the glaze faster.  Do you think this rule is unreasonable?  Is there another way to express to guests that I really don't want them to take baths in there?

1 Best Answer
Juan63
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

I think it's always in the approach. I find simple non-intrusive signs to work perfectly. For instance, guests have in the past, just tossed there dishes in the dishwasher at best and at worst, just left their dishes in the sink. I placed a small sign right above the sink that says, "please handwash your dishes." I have never had another issue. Maybe make a small sign that with a frame that matches your decor so it's not so intrusive, and have it say "Bathroom is shared please shower's only." Hang it in the bathroom. Also include it in the photo showing your tub so people's expectations are met.

View Best Answer in original post

37 Replies 37

Since you don't include a photo of the bathroom situation in your listing's photos, I can't see what kind of drain stopper is on your tub. So I would suggest you lower your cleaning fee, and require anyone who takes a bath to clean the tub thoroughly upon completion. 

@Ellen104

OOh, I grew up with one of those cool tub/stoppers.  You can pull the whole long thing out of the tunnel that it is in.  Does this sound like the kind of stopper you have.

Your house, your rules.

Yes! That's it!  I had never seen anything like it until I moved into this place.  No one ever knows what I'm talking about when I mention it. 

You can just grab hold of that knob at the top of the stopper, and the whole thing will come out.  That would be a way to prevent  filling the tub.

Chris232
Level 10
Petersfield, United Kingdom

OMG, If i am paying £54 per night and am told I am not allowed to have a bath then this will be a poor experience and would reflect in my review.

In addition I would be concerned about my safety of having to stand up in a slippery bath with the risk of slipping and seriously hurting myself

If you really want to go in this direction then recommend you remove the bath and install a Wet room with a good power shower

If I had $8000 spare to re-do a bathroom, I would not be on Airbnb.  Realistic solutions would be helpful.  🙂

*ETA: Maybe it's a cultural thing, but I find it strange to want to take a bath on vacation or in someone else's home.  That, amongst other things, are things I understand to only do into the privacy of your own home. 

@Ellen104Maybe it's a cultural thing, but I find it strange to want to take a bath on vacation or in someone else's home.

I don't think it is a cultural thing...Maybe it's an Ellen thing 🙂 I took a vacation bath last summer, after travelling 4,000 miles, landing in Las Vegas enduring the heat. The greatest thing in the world was taking a bath...sitting in the tub, with bubbles and all, at the Trump. I was so pleased, I even posted a mid-bubble-bath photo on Facebook, of course happily giving the Trump and their wonderful bathtub free publicity.

Like most things in life, you can look at your bathtub as a liability or an asset. Given that many NYC AirBnB's can't offer a bathtub because they only have tiny, shower stall bathrooms, I'd add a photo of the bathroom to your listing photos, list your bathtub as a feature--maybe buy a $5 bottle of bubblebath and PROFIT!

First world problems, it's her house, she can set whatever rules she wants.

René5
Level 5
Honolulu, HI

@Ellen104

How about a 'request':  A pretty little laminated sign (hanging near the stopper) - "My antique tub and I thank you for choosing to shower over a bath."  

It's all about being able to choose what kind of AirBnB and style you want to share as a host, but also walk into as a guest. So be sure to include it in your listing if you have not.  Then it acts and feels like a choice.

I would take a nice picture of the sign close enough to read but see some of the beauty of the tub and add it to your pictures. And in your description, in a short paragraph about sharing the bathroom with your guests, you can mention "...with a beautiful antique tub for showering (only :-)." 

PS: You probably already knew this, but just in case - dishwashing detergent and a soft sponge are the kindest to glazes.

@René5  Thank you so much for your kind and thoughtful reply. 🙂  This is why I love host boards.  This is a lovely idea that creates the suggestion without it being a hard and fast rule that might turnoff guests.  Going to get on this right away.  Thanks again!! 🙂

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Definitely a cultural thing, I am working on adding rooms and two of them have proper baths you can actually use, for those not aware the US standard bath is impossible to soak in.

David

Oh, don't make 'em too big...  You'll have to make signs telling people not to use them because you've got better things to do with your time than to spend it cleaning the tub.

Hi @Ellen104,

I know you are a fairly new user to this forum.  I just want to let you know that just about everyone is sincerely trying to be helpful and answer questions and concerns that people post.  People might not always know the right, full answer, but they try.  I have found this forum quite helpful, and this is the first time I have seen this sort of continued harassing.

Nobody should be belittling you or sarcastic about how you want to run your house, and I can't imagine why anyone should care if you want people to take baths in your tub or not (other than the guests who can make their own decisions since it is well noted in your house rules).

I just hope that you are not deterred from asking other questions in the future.  As I said, just about every answer on this forum (other than some of those on this thread) are by people trying to help.

🙂

Good luck!

@Hilary-And-Ed0

Thank you.  I am not discouraged at all by the sarcastic and condescending posts.  I'm a New Yorker and have pretty thick skin.  😉  I enjoy these boards and will continue to use them despite any unpleasantness.  I realize that some people really get off on trying to shame, embarrass, or belittle others because it makes them feel good for whatever reason.  Perhaps one day they will realize that it is possible to disagree with someone without being disrespectful or harrassing. 

I would like to extend a special thanks to you and others like @René5 who took time to craft a thoughtful (and respectful) response to what may seem like a ridiculous inquiry to some.  Thanks guys, and I look forward to seeing you on these boards again. 

Baths are installed tiling done, had some issues sourcing as Home Depot etc do not do proper baths. Well they did not when I was looking.

The population of my town is just over double digits and the surrounding area is definitely  dead after 9pm.

Most of my guests are not from a similar area, but due to the time difference and probably more significantly the altitude  are usually dead to the world by 10pm.

I have only made a fuss after midnight and a bit before when people were making a noise in their room and keeping other people up.

David