No Baths Allowed

Answered!
Ellen104
Level 4
Denver, CO

No Baths Allowed

I recently updated my listing to add a House Rule of no sit-down bathing or filling the bathtub with water allowed - Showering ONLY.

I share a bathroom with my guests and do my best to spot clean (quick 5 minute or less onceover) throughout the stay. 

I find that when guests take baths, it really requires a more in-depth cleaning than I can accomodate during a stay (I find it rude to clean with guests around).  I personally do not take baths for this exact reason. 

Also, I have an antique bathtub which was recently reglazed.  Additional/excessive cleaning can ruin the glaze faster.  Do you think this rule is unreasonable?  Is there another way to express to guests that I really don't want them to take baths in there?

1 Best Answer
Juan63
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

I think it's always in the approach. I find simple non-intrusive signs to work perfectly. For instance, guests have in the past, just tossed there dishes in the dishwasher at best and at worst, just left their dishes in the sink. I placed a small sign right above the sink that says, "please handwash your dishes." I have never had another issue. Maybe make a small sign that with a frame that matches your decor so it's not so intrusive, and have it say "Bathroom is shared please shower's only." Hang it in the bathroom. Also include it in the photo showing your tub so people's expectations are met.

View Best Answer in original post

37 Replies 37
Oomesh-Kumarsingh0
Level 10
Pamplemousses, Mauritius

@Ellen104 If you have a bathtube and dont want people to take a bath this will be quite a challenge to control the guest in the bathroom i would advise you to write a notice in the bathroom instead of writing this on your listing describtion. Good luck !!!

Mark26
Level 10
Melbourne Beach, FL

What?

Bath meaning the kind where you fill the bathtub with water and sit down to bathe vs. using the shower and letting the water flow out as you bathe.  Not no bathing in general.  Sorry if that wasn't clear.

No... No...   I know what a Bath is.  I'm just completely blown away by the idea of telling guests they can't take a bath in the bath tub. 

Sometimes I read posts here and wonder.....  What?

I can tell by your response that you do not share spaces with your guests.  It's very frustrating to come in to a filthy bathtub and not have appropriate time to devote to it because hosting is not my only job or responsibility.  Not to mention that guests often expect these messes to just 'disappear' and will subtract stars if not handled in a timely fashion.  I like for my space to be clean for me and my guests.  Banning baths seems to be a solution to my problem.  I am aware that this sounds unreasonable which is why I came to the host boards for helpful input on wording or an alternative solution to this problem. 

I can tell by your response that you don't want to hear from anyone who believes banning guests from using the Bath Tub is absurd. 

Nope, just looking for solutions and help from my Airbnb community.  It's okay if you don't have any to offer. 🙂

My solution would be a spray can of Scrubbing Bubbles, and a handfull of microfiber cloths.  Seriously....  I've got six bathrooms that I clean on a regular basis, and whether a guest chooses to use the bathtub as a bathtub, or stand and use it as a shower is immaterial.  There are still the same surfaces that need to be cleaned. 

@Mark26

There's a big difference (especially where time is concerned) between doing "change-over" cleaning between guests and having to clean your tub daily just so you can use it or just for it to look presentable. It is highly disingenuous to try to claim otherwise.

You can't possibly be serious....

Again, no answer. Just feigned shock at how stupid you find others to be. Solutions are needed, not "Wow are you stupid!"

Responding to Mark. I wound up here because I shared a bathroom with a stranger last week, and wanted to take a bath - but it had clearly been used. Sitting in a tub of someone else's ... dirt, skin cells, etc was not exactly appealing. So I just showered quickly. Man, I was sore and a hot bath would have been great. But so many hosts aren't present, and I know I won't be when I host, yeah,there are some real questions here. 

So rather than be shocked and superior to the OP, how do you handle these things? 

Ali40
Level 10
Crozet, VA

Remove the drain stopper, so the tub will not fill up with water. Easy peasy.

I wish it were that simple.  I have an antique tub.  The vertical drain stopper is located outside the tub.  I don't know if you've ever seen that. . . *sigh*