No Breakfast?

No Breakfast?

First off yes I know hosts are under no obligation to provide breakfast. But I do think they should be. If you're going to be considered a b&b you should have to provide at least both b's. I'm not saying you have to go all out with a full breakfast buffet that would be nice. But at least maybe some pastries and orange juice. Just like I can't open a shoe store if I don't sell shoes there if it's going to be a bed and breakfast it should have to provide both.

38 Replies 38

I saw a similar post and they always go back to the air as an excuse. Let's focus on the b&b.

@Christopher1295 

If you really believe you have a valid complaint, why don’t you take it up with your State Attorney General?

They handle false advertising and business fraud claims.

You should hit Facebook too. They don’t sell faces or books.

And don’t forget Motel 6 and Super 8. They should be required to rent rooms for $6 and $8 respectively, as they did in 1962.

Don’t even get me started on the Dollar Store.

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Anonymous 

We have found that most post-pandemic hotel breakfasts are best used as gifts to homeless people.

Haven’t had a single complaint from that quarter, especially when we tuck in a couple of dollars towards lunch. Or whatever.

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Anonymous 

Can't stop laughing😊  Well explained.  Another point is that guests don't understand that "Airbnb" is a conglomeration of independent businesses.

Nanxing0
Level 10
Haverford, PA

@Christopher1295 Your understanding of AIRBNB is only the ORIGINAL CONCEPT, however when we implement this concept to actual business, there are a lot of things we need to consider about each aspect. As of the breakfast you demanded, it is simply not feasible for a lot of hosts to offer, and it is stuupid to make those hosts not hostable due to such a small thing. 

Another example is the concept of "wholesale". If you look at the original concept, wholesale was meant for sale to retailers, business users, or other wholesalers, etc., basically to anyone other than a standard consumer. However if you look at reality, there are Costco, BJ's, Sam's club and many others that are offering wholesale to end users. Should we prevent them from selling those stuffs?

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Christopher1295 

you stick to the name.... OK , first of all it is not AIRB&B or AIRB'N'B but AIRBNB .... and it means AIR Bed No Breakfast

And if you stick to the name so hard, would you prefer an air mattress as well?

There is a grocery store in the next building from my Airbnb where you can buy your croissant. There are also 3 cafes just footsteps away and you have a coffee, sugar, filter and an electric water cooker in my studio apartment.  I understand if you are used to being served but it won't happen for 35€ per night 🙂

Now I am visualizing myself, waking up at 6 AM, getting dressed, making coffee for you (btw what kind of coffee you prefer, with soya or ordinary milk, filter, espresso,  cappuccino, turkish maybe...? )

rushing to the bakery for your croissant ( btw chocolate, vanilla, or plain?), sit in a car, drive to the other part of town to leave the tray with said coffee and croissant on the building stairway in front of your door so you can find it when you wake up  ( if my neighbor's dog doesn't find it before you 😄 😄 ) and then I will sit in a car again and return home.

Dear Christopher... I wouldn't do that for 100€ per night. Sorry... if you are not capable to buy your croissant and coffee by yourself you should travel with your personal butler or stay in B&B or a hotel.

@Branka-and-Silvia0  I'm laughing so hard.

I'm gonna start a new str platform called "Bed 'n' Make Your Own F***in' Breakfast."

Omg, I can't get the stupid emoji thing to work, but I'm laughing so hard right now. LOVE your business idea @Sarah977, and @Branka-and-Silvia0, I am so coming to stay. I'll have an oat milk flat white and poached eggs with asparagus and hollandaise on sourdough, thanks. And, please do make sure it is still steaming hot on arrival.

BTW @Christopher1295 , methinks you're being a little pedantic (and I'm an editor, so...). You should see the hoops I would have to jump through to offer breakfast - it would be SO not worth it. Also, the name Air B is just dumb (sorry).

@Branka-and-Silvia0  The mental image of you rushing around Zagreb at the crack of dawn to get a fresh croissant and orange juice to Christopher is priceless.

But you haven't considered something that will make that not such a big deal- the traffic at that time of day will be pretty light. So it won't take you nearly as long as it would if he required a hamburger at rush hour.

@Sarah977   you are right... hopefully, he doesn't wake up at noon :))

And there is a logistic about taking the tray from the previous day back. Imagine my neighbors with kids and a dog jumping over the tray with dishes  (my Airbnb is on the first floor, right next to the main entrance and parking lot passage. Btw, @Christopher1295  I hope you wouldn't mind your croissant dust-coated 🙂

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

@Christopher1295 The vast majority of guest do not want a host to provide any kind of food. Even food that's unopened guest will not touch. So breakfast would be an additional $10-$15 for something most guest don't want and would be thrown out. I even state in my listing, "Other things to note" that I supply basics, coffee, but do not provide food or bottles of wine, as it would be need to be included in the rates. 

@John5097  Exactly.  We do usually have those packages of instant oatmeal in the cabinet and almost no one ever uses them.  We also for longer stays will sometimes put out a bowl of fruit and same thing, almost always we end up taking it back and using it ourselves or worst case, thrown out.  I don't think @Christopher1295  understands how much cost he's talking about, it would have to be at least an extra $20 per night to cover breakfast for 4 every day andthat is the absolute minimum cost.

We did think about, pre covid, the idea of offering 1 meal per stay for stays 3 days or more, guests would either get a night time cheese/fruit/meat/bread kind of tray the night of arrival or a full breakfast...eggs/bread/fruit/meat on their first full day, but logistically it was too complicated and we would have been upset to find all that cheese/salami, etc. wasted.  Also, there would always have been the potential for complaining about the items and/or a misunderstanding that it was 1 time only, not every night, so we never put it into action.

@Mark116 Agree its generally accepted that guest who want breakfast would simply book a place with a kitchen area to prepare meals themselves. I'd like to see guest find a hotel that has a kitchen area. The worst guest for me don't bother to read the listing then complain about what's clearly stated and factored into the rates. Notice that @Christopher1295 profile only has an email and phone number.  I just found a two page list of suggestions from one guest, that would have doubled or tripled my nightly rates, and of course everything was already in the listing or personal messages they didn't bother to read. I just got a ton of bookings last night and wish I had declined one that said she was hoping to check in when their flight arrived. I'm always firm and upfront about any policy stated in the listing. So far its worked out but sometimes it can be frustrating when guest don't realize how much host are trying to look out for them. 

@Christopher1295   I can't believe I didn't spot it at first:  obviously, you're this guy:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eREiQhBDIk

Anyway, thanks for the helpful suggestions. I'm sure all of these hosts with years of experience hosting hundreds or even thousands of guests will immediately rethink their business concepts because of a complaint from some guy off the internet who can't even figure out how to log into his Airbnb account and finishes every paragraph with "lol."

lol

@Anonymous nails it, as per usual 🤣

@Christopher1295 Back under the bridge, troll lol.