No Hot Water for Guests... partial refund? How much?

Maria1216
Level 2
Kesh, United Kingdom

No Hot Water for Guests... partial refund? How much?

Hello. We have been doing a long term stay (5 weeks) and have just finished week 3. We have "not" had hot water for 14 out of 21 days, due to technical problems with the boiler the owner has been trying to solve. The problem still hasn't been sorted out yet, and we haven't had hot water at all for the last 8 days straight, which has made things very difficult for our party of 7 persons. Would it be reasonable to ask our host for a partial refund for the days we have not had hot water? If so, what percentage rebate (eg. 10%, 50%, etc.) would be reasonable for each day without hot water? Thanks in advance for any advice. 

8 Replies 8
Jann3
Level 10
Santa Rosa, CA

Ummm.. I am not sure. Truthfully I would've called AirBnB (not always a bad thing to do as a guest) and request reaccomodation to another property. As a guest you deserve hot water.

As for percentage off, you seem to be genial, what does the host say? Do they offer a discount? I would ask for around 15% off...

Thanks Jann. The owner has been cordial, but hasn't offered us anything. We have been in constant contact with her as she doesn't live anywhere near our rental, and has been coordinating for her relatives to fix the problem. They've been here a half a dozen times, along with a plumber. She's aware of how long this has been going on, but hasn't offered any compensation, or access to alternative shower facilities, etc. I'm not one to complain, but 14 days is a very long time (especially when the problem hasn't been fixed yet), so I thought I would ask for some advice. If I don't hear back from anyone else, I'll go with your advice and ask for 15% refund for each day we have been without hot water. I'm not going to fall out with the owner over it, but it never hurts to ask, as its been difficult not being able to take a hot shower, or properly wash pots and pans during our stay.

Thanks again, Maria

Okay, THAT is different: "she doesn't live anywhere near our rental, and has been coordinating for her relatives to fix the problem. They've been here a half a dozen times, along with a plumber."

The host knows about it...knows about how long you've been without...and is relying on relatives to coordinate. I would go to https://www.airbnb.co.uk/resolutions and "request money" (from host)

At least it's on file then that you were unhappy with it - unless you do this you won't have much of a leg to stand on in the future if you feel you were not treated correctly. Hopefully the host will simply process the refund.

Sorry to ask you a stupid question, but should I be doing this now (eg. requesting a partial refund) or should I wait until the hot water is fixed and back on, so that I know how many days I'm asking 15% back from? Won't the request function on airbnb ask me for an amount (x dollars.) Most of the messages about the problem have all been on airbnb messaging, so there is a trail of everything concerning the problem, including the host apologizing several times for it not being sorted out in a reasonable amount of time. Thanks again for all the advice. It's cool to be able to rely on someone with more experience than me. Kind regards, Maria

I would do the following: You are staying...what 5 weeks? The guest already has a certain amount of your money (if not all - I don't know their long-term-rules for the UK). I would try to figure out how much of your entire stay is worth *without* hot water. For now, let's just assume you pay £500 for your entire stay - to make math easier. If you chose 20% was the figure, then you ask for £100 back. Take your entire expected fee, and the percent of that you want back for being without hot water, then ask for it. I would do it now. More pressure on the host to fix the issue. They MAY feel that if they don't approve that amount now, you may get "relocated" by AirBnB to another space - then they'd lose more!

Good luck!

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Maria1216  I think you should contact Air BNB and request that they intercede on your behalf.  Let them know that you and your party have been inconvenience and that you want to be relocated within 48 hours unless the hot water is fixed.  Also, you want a 15% refund for every day there has been no hot water, to be determined at the end of the reservation or when you are relocated which ever comes first.  Air BNB will communicate with the host and negotiate between you and the host.

If the host is unable to fix the problem, it will be a host cancellation due to extenuating circumstances and you might also get a 10% credit for the inconvenience.  

While problems can occur for any host, I believe it is the host responsibility to quickly resolve the problem or request relocation of the guest.  Keep us posted as to what happens.

In case you need Air BNB contact information, here is a guide.

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide/m-p/16165#M728

Peter1587
Level 1
San Francisco, CA

I’d ask for a full refund. Currently I am staying at an address where there is no hot water. It’s yet to be 24 hrs. However, their only suggestion was to turn off the breaker at the electrical box, then call them in an hour. Not impressed. There is still no hot water, and I’ve had no visit from a plumber,nor the owners.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Get on to Airbnb CS now, @Peter1587