No alcohol consumption policy

Answered!

No alcohol consumption policy

Hi all, just wondering if anyone has a similar policy in their home. On a number of occasions I know that my guests have dishonoured my house rules in regards to no alcohol. They say that they either did not read the policy or did not see the no alcohol clause before they booked. Some guests act surprised when they read my Guests Airbnb manual upon arrival or when they ask and I tell them. 

How have other Christian hosts or (teetotaller hosts) dealt with this issue?

I constantly get asked whether we allow wine or beer for relaxation purposes. We do allow a glass of wine over dinner when I am asked for clarification however I do not make that public knowledge. To keep it easy I simply indicate in my house rules that No alcohol is permitted.

Some guests can't accept it seems and come back and say they won't party or drink beer excessively etc I normally reply by saying that it's more a personal conviction because of my Christian stance rather than the fact that the guests may get drunk or party. 

Some have cancelled their bookings as a result - I have no problems with that. 

Would like to hear from those who have similar beliefs and no alcohol policy in the home.

Regards,

Kisa

1 Best Answer

It's your property, you can do whatever you want within the bounds of the law and AirBNB's rules. If people don't like it, they can rent somewhere else. As many have mentioned, of course you would want to make it obvious what your policy on alcohol is so people know it before they make a reservation—that's just good customer service.

My wife and I are considering starting an AirBNB, and we will have a strict no-alcohol policy on our property. It's partly a safety issue because our AirBNB (if we move forward with it) will have horses in close proximity, it will be located in an old barn with old dry wood, and I've seen too many people do stupid things while on alcohol. For us, it's not worth the risk.

As for enforcement, that's tough, but hopefully having a policy will screen people out so that the issues we're trying to prevent never happen.

View Best Answer in original post

64 Replies 64
Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Kisa0 anyone who has read my listing will notice that I have a pretty firm stance on rules (and frankly, I think all hosts should make careful work of listing their House Rules!), but in this case if you want to enforce a No Alcohol policy (in an entire place) then you'll need to list that more often and more prominently than just tucking it into the other things to note section. I'd suggest: in the listing text, in a photo text, in the House Rules, in the House Manual, in the other things to note and in your first message confirming a new booking (if you're IB or during the pre-booking discussion if not on IB).

The reason why I think it requires so much repetition is bc most people would NEVER imagine that a host would be telling them what they could consume in a self-contained entire listing.

People do expect that a host might concern themselves with: unlawful behavior (drugs or drunkness, human trafficking, prostitution, internet torrenting, etc), cleanliness, safety, smoking, proper guest count and several others...

But trying to control for all sinful behaviors is a futile effort. There are many sinful behaviors that guests can engage in while they're in your space: they could lie, gossip, argue, act with malice, curse, be dirty, lust, overeat, dishonor their parents.... we could go on and on. The advice I've given other friends who are concerned with guest behavior somehow sullying their home with their bad behavior is that likely they aren't a good fit for a STR platform. If your conscience troubles you that guests could behave badly in your home then that is an intractable problem.

But if the only thing that bothers you is alcohol then you could try to proceed, I just don't know that it will be easy. So, just keep in mind that this restriction is outside the norm (well outside) so I think you'll need to really drive the point home.

Good luck.

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate your time in trying to help. Just want to clarify the following (not aimed at you in particular but to all the posts above so far).

I am not judging anyone or indicating that drinking is a sin. That is not reflected in my policy or house rules. I am simply stating what I would like for my guests to observe while staying in MY home. They still have that option to book elsewhere if they don't like the rule.  I thought it was that simple. E.g If I don't like the food that a particular restaurant serves (it is a public space is it not?) or whether the food preparation uses halal meat, I have a choice to go to another restaurant that serves other food or does not use halal meat. I would not impose my preference for non halal meat on the Muslim restaurant owner simply because they are doing business in a public arena and that the general public's interests is priority. I would respect their religious views in the way they prepare their food. It's my choice whether I eat there or not.

Of course we cannot control what people do in their private lives and if they do persist with their booking and choose to outwardly ignore the rule about alcohol, then that is their choice. They will not get charged for it but it would be on their own conscience. 

The no alcohol policy stems from my Christian belief and personal convictions about drinking. I have never permitted alcohol in the house and my 3 grown sons respect that. It just never has been the case and it never will be. 

Thank you and God bless.

@Kisa0   In what way does it affect you and your personal convictions, if guests consume alcohol in their semi-detached unit but behave normally in the common areas?

I can understand using your beliefs and personal convictions as a guideline for how you conduct yourself in your own life, and how you raise your children. But I don't understand why you deem it appropriate to impose as a policy upon people in living space that they are not sharing with you. (Once again, the listing is not marketed as your "home," but rather as a self-contained holiday rental).

Jennifer1421
Level 10
Peterborough, Canada

@Kisa0You've asked about how other hosts address prohibitions within their listings.

I don't really see this particular prohibition as any different than many listings that I've seen where the hosts are adamant about no smoking on their entire property (I've even seen some listings where the hosts have said no smoking anywhere near the listing on a public street), or some vegan hosts who've requested guests do not bring meat into the premises. Their listing, their homes, their priorities. Certainly difficult to enforce, but if you don't want booze on the property, then say so, loud and proud.

As @Kelly149 has suggested, the best way would likely be to mention your alcohol prohibition more prominently within the listing, in order to "weed out" more guests who are likely to want to drink. As is pretty well-established on the forums, guests tend not to read the entirety of our listings, so I think it's well worth your time to mention this policy within the first paragraph.

Depending on how you feel about it, you could market your place as an "alcohol-free zone" in the title. Guests who drink won't even click, so you won't get their requests and won't have to deal with the issue at all (in theory). Guests who are like-minded will probably be lining up to stay with you.

Just a side-note query for other folks who've commented here: if a host were a member of A.A. and asked this question, would you have looked at the issue a little differently? No judgments here, only curious...

@Jennifer1421  To answer your question re AA- no.

Kisa is renting out an entire unit- the guests aren't in her space at all. I think it's inappropriate for a host to dictate what a guest can do in a private unit, (aside from respecting the home and following rules like not bringing extra guests, turning off lights and AC when not at home, etc) whether it's consuming alcohol or not cooking meat. Smoking is a different story, not an applicable analogy, as it stinks up the unit and requires extensive cleaning to get rid of the smell.

@Kisa0 

Of course we cannot control what people do in their private lives and if they do persist with their booking and choose to outwardly ignore the rule about alcohol, then that is their choice. They will not get charged for it but it would be on their own conscience.

I would say that would be the best way to deal with it.

I agree with what @Sarah977 just said, and your previous comment, let guests control their own lives as long as it doesn't impact your property.

Your home won't be tainted by their consumption of alcohol and it would be far kinder to allow guests the right to to be responsible for their own actions and choices. (I really don't think most guests will have a conscience about this at all). Projecting your own restrictions on guests could be rather awkward and confusing, "Allowing a glass of wine after dinner" is an allowance contradicting your rules. In this respect, your house rules, your allowances and allowing your guests their conscience to choose is all at odds. Simply allowing your guests their own choice without your alcohol rule will reduce your concern whether your rule has been broken, so - just don't have that rule.

Bonnie253
Level 2
Kaysville, UT

I just googled "No alcohol in nightly rental" and your post came up.  I just want you to know that I have a "NO ALCOHOL" rule too.  I'm glad to see others have this rule.  I figure it's my home and I can make any rule I want in my home.  Guest can stay if they like.  If they don't like my rules they don't need to stay.  

@Bonnie253 the only listing I can see on your profile is a for an Entire House property, and this listing contains no visible rule about alcohol. Do you also have a guestroom in your own residence that happens to be inactive at the moment? 

Anna9170
Level 10
Lloret de Mar, Spain

@Kisa0   I'm not going to discuss your position now, which I absolutely disagree with, but at least write it in the information about the house. I read it and didn't find any mention of a ban on alcohol.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

All host requirements must be effectively conveyed anyway, one way or another; especially such an unexpected one like this No Drinking rule. Otherwise, the host can expect a lot of angst over non-awareness,  confusion over its interpretation and of course enforcement of it. It may help such a host tremendously if they do not take the issues that will surely arise from such a policy personally, like being 'offended' or 'disrespected' otherwise their hosting will not be any fun.

As to why such a rule is in place - its their choice and since it is not hurting me or anyone else that I can see - I am not even interested in the reasons why.

P.S. Might as well call my place 'Alcohol Island', some of my guests buy 10+ cases of beer for 4 days/4 people; half the boat filled with it.  Many have shown up with those traveling bags with 16 bottles of wine in each

Katarzyna45
Level 2
Irving, TX

Kisa, I agree with some of the previous responses: Generally speaking, it is illegal and against Airbnb rules to discriminate based on religion, but it is legal in Samoa and not against Airbnb rules to consume alcohol within a short term rental.

From the wording in your post, it appears that you are engaging in religious discrimination based on a lottery system. If a guest communicates with you about your no-alcohol listing, they have chosen to play the lottery. Whether or not they get to consume alcohol on your premises depends on whether or not [within their chosen communication] they meet or exceed your litmus test of falling in line with your religious beliefs [‘Christian like’ indicators = free to consume alcohol in the form of wine with meal and they ‘win’ the lottery; or ‘lack-of-Christian-indicators’ and failing to indicate that they meet your religious morals (i.e. regarding alcohol or other) = no alcohol consumption on premises allowed and they ‘lose’ the lottery]. Why are you allowing some guests to consume alcohol but not others after your house rules say no alcohol consumption is allowed?

From a legal point of view: it is best to leave religion out of the ‘reasoning’ behind house rules to help close the discrimination loop hole. Make your rules (and make sure they too are legally allowed to co-exist within a rental per local law) and hold your guests to those rules irrespective of religion or the type of alcohol consumed [wine vs beer  vs hard liquor] in order to rid yourself/your listing of possible future litigation.   

@Katarzyna45 I really don't see why it's hard for people to book an AirBnB somewhere else, if they can't accept my house-rules.

Samoa is founded on God and respect in the home is paramount. Can't see how that can be discriminatory in our country. 

Michelle53
Level 10
Chicago, IL

I have a "No Alcohol on the Premises" rule.   

It isn't religious in nature, and I don't ask people not to go to restaurants and bars. 

My "No Alcohol on the Premises" rule derives from several occurrences :-

1. People who have been drinking in the space, resulting in loud noise and damage to property.

The worst damage I've sustained at my place was from a group of 4 girls throwing themselves a little soiree the night before heading home. 

2. Chicago STR regulations which state that alcohol may not be served to a guest, which is why I don't provide beer/wine "welcome gifts", and also nuisance/egregious conditions are prohibited, or fines can be imposed, and one could be delisted. That would include anything that disturbs neighbors, and there is a neighbor hotline to call the city.

My neighbors are all aware I have an Airbnb, and I've never had a single noise/unruly behavior complaint.  My guests are always respectful of neighbors and the neighborhood. 

My space is geared towards folks going out to enjoy themselves - I encourage people to support local restaurants/bars/coffee shops for meals and entertainment.  If they would like to drink there, certainly no problem for me.  I provide a local map guide, too. 

@Michelle53  @Robin4 When hosts ask about how to compose their rules, I'll often advise not to post a rule they aren't in a position to enforce. The unenforceable rules are weak, and their weakness tends to spread to the more important ones, such as the policy on unregistered guests or smoking in the home. Why respect the others after you've broken one?

Personally, I prefer to detach people's consumption choices from their behavior choices. My rules are behavior-based:  what you consume is your business, but if a behavior is unacceptable then it's unacceptable regardless of whether you're drunk or high or sober. If I have a noise restriction, it doesn't matter whether you're drunk or straight-edge; you've still gotta turn it down. If I don't allow unregistered guests, it doesn't matter if you're having a kegger or making dinner for mom - you're still over the line and you've gotta go. With the vast majority of guests there has been a mutual respect for each other's boundaries and freedom - I doubt such a pleasant balance could be achieved with a heavy-handed attempt to micromanage what they do with their own bodies.

@Anonymous   I totally understand your point, but I'm not micromanaging what people do with their own bodies.   I'm outlining what they may and may not do in my space. They have a choice whether to book or not. 

My experience has been that folks who stay in and drink end up being a lot louder and a lot more prone to breaking things than folks who go out and drink. Let's be honest - when it comes to alcohol and behavior, sometimes there is no good way to separate consumption and behavior. 

Also, since there's no real cooking at my space, it's not like people are cooking dinner and having a glass of wine with that, or sitting having a quiet beer on the patio, since there's really no place to sit outside.  

Most of the time, they are out doing whatever the thing is they came to the city to do. They are welcome to enjoy food and drinks with that. 

Occasionally, I've had rule breakers, but, to be honest, the vast majority of my guests have been just fine with it. Maybe the folks who aren't fine with it booked elsewhere.  Win/win. 

It's amazing to me that alcohol elicits this kind of response. If one asked the question "Should a guest be allowed to do whatever they want in a host's space?"  I'm guessing most people would say "No, there should be rules".   But because a lot of people drink,  myself included, by the way, the answer for alcohol should be "Of course, provided they do it responsibly".   Because we all like to think we drink responsibly. I just don't think, in many cases, one can use "alcohol" and "responsible" in the same sentence.