No bookings, no inquiries, just crickets... Could one review do this?

No bookings, no inquiries, just crickets... Could one review do this?

For over a year and a half, I ran a humble but thriving Air BnB in the Brooklyn apartment I am struggling to keep in the face of rapid fire gentrification.  I was a laid back host who always welcomed guests to treat my home as their own.  Between guests, I cleaned everything- curtains, pillows, everything.  I worked so hard to create the sort of space I would want to share.

In the winter, things would slow down for a few months and then pick up in the spring.  This spring they haven't picked up.  At all.  My account has literally no activity.  Needless to say, I am worried. 

It's now April.  In February, I hosted two guests who were new to Air BnB.  As it was my dead season, I had a roommate and took the very occasional booking for a different bedroom.  Although I have learned to grin and bear it through pretty much everything, my roommate had a very hard time with these guests.  They spoke loudly outside her door into the wee hours of the night.  They holed up in the bathroom for three hours the next morning, loudly splashing and having some sort of "romp" we didn't want to visualize.  My roommate, not having grown accustomed to quickly using the bathroom at a synagogue down the street and going to work dirty, was profoundly upset as she rushed to a meeting not even having gotten to pee.  I knew I had to take some sort of action, and I called Air BnB for advice. 

My experiences calling Air BnB have been a mixed bag.  For some reason, on this day I got a gentleman who really cared, so much so that he opened a case and someone contacted the guests.  When I next saw them, they were standoffish and everything became incredibly uncomfortable.  Like now I'm sharing my home with these two women who hate my guts.  

They left a vicious, factually inaccurate, one star across the board review.  It changed my overall stats.  (Location was always a 4.5 star category for me- I live deep in the heart of Brooklyn, and most tourist attractions involve a subway ride, a fact my listing doesn't disguise.  But cleanliness?  That hurts...)  And since then I have received not a single booking.  Air BnB says that the review does not violate their standards, although the guests essentially say that I "ratted them out" and describe things that straight up don't exist (a "broken badge" on the front door that leads out to my terrifying neighborhood.)  At this point, I don't know what recourse I have.  It's just devastating to imagine that one guest can completely destroy everything I worked so hard to build. 

Thank you so much for any insight or advice you might have... 

14 Replies 14
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hello @Marisha0 ,

I think you refer to guest "Ir***" , which you gave an nice and positive review. Her review is not that well, but is not mentioning you "ratted them out" and also did you not take the opportunity to comment on it. I can not imagine this review is the main reason of not getting bookings, there are plenty of fine reviews and potential guest can see through this. Did you check your statistics ("progress") to see the amount of views ?

Best regards, Emiel

Hey, Emiel! Thank you so much for responding and for doing such thorough research. I honestly can't tell you how much this means to me... To answer your questions, I left a nice review because I hate to be negative about anyone and they did tone it down after the phone call, as awkward as things were. I wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt that they had just expected a hotel. Once I read their review, I deeply regretted this as I absolutely should have warned other hosts. Many of the comments I mentioned (including "ratting them out") were in the private parts of the review, but they were visible to Air BnB when we went over it. I did check my views, and they are down... Thanks again, Marisha
Ria16
Level 10
Northland, New Zealand

@Marisha0 From my end of the world the first ten reviews I see are all good. So I don’t think that’s the main reason for the crickets.

Your place looks lovely but I see you have a minimum of 3 nights so I imagine you would lose a lot of custom of folk passing through.  Obviously the way we host is the way that suits us the best.

Air tells me there are similar homes nearby all within the same price range some higher, some lower. Have you looked at your competition .?

You could experiment a littlle by changing it to two nights if you are able. It might be worth a go 

Wishing you all the best I’m hoping it’s just a blip. 

Ria, Thank you sooo much for taking so much time to look and respond! I’m hesitant to switch to two days because I often have to do a 4-5 hour room clean, in the middle of the day between guests, and turning over rooms that often would impact other commitments. (My roommate is in the room that was designed to be cleaned quickly, so it’s even more intense now.) I definitely see that I’m in a very saturated market, so all I can think to do is drop my prices. Thanks again, Marisha 

Tracey---Bryan0
Level 5
Los Angeles, CA

Maybe try clicking through every page and box of your Edit Listing and just make sure nothing is blank. I missed one little thing once and my listing wasn't searchable or showing up for everyone. Weird digital things happen and could be an easy fix.

Thank you! A while back it was changing all of my prices (to waaaaaaay too expensive for what it is,) so I know this happens... 

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

@Marisha0 I actually couldn't find the negative review at all - And you have so many positive, wonderful reviews, I also doubt that that one unfortunate review is the reason for the decline in bookings. I did wonder, did you leave a brief, factual, non-defensive response to the review so that prospective guests can read your take on things? This is so important so if you haven't already done this, I would. 

Next: I agree with the comments and suggestions, above. Airbnb is constantly changing their website, amenities, etc, and the new 'Opportunities' section is critically important because it involves categories which are then translated into filters. So I would go over all your amenities and everything under 'Progress' and 'Opportunities'. Also, are your views the same, or are they going down? Are there more ABB's listed in your area, or new boutique hotels that may be capturing travelers' business?

Next: I suggest you change up your listing, if you haven't already. Use a different cover photo, change the summary, etc. If there is more competition in your area, than what you did before may not be enough now. Also, play around with the prices, just to experiment. I had a lag in bookings - 2 weeks (longest ever) so I did lower my prices to jump-start my listing, and gradually raised them again, and I am comfortable with my price point (which is much higher usually than Smart Pricing recommends). 

These are a few things I can think of. But as far as the review goes, given I couldn't even find it and all I saw were rave reviews, I don't think you have anything to worry about in that department! Best of luck.

@Rebecca181   I've read here before hosts suggesting to change the cover photo, but it seems to me that it could cut down on repeat bookings, if a previous guest was trying to find the listing to book it again, no? People are so visual, it seems like they might just think it's no longer listed.

@Sarah977 That is a possibility; but on the other hand, it might attract someone who passed it by the first time! I rotate my cover photos according to whether I want to rent out the entire cottage or just the downstairs studio (which sells out in the off-season as I do one night stays then, and also it is easier for me to clean!) Been working for me so far. But I also see your point! Six of one, half dozen of another. I'm not sure how many ABB travelers do repeat stays - They are conditioned by ABB to try new things, new places, new experiences, new concerts, new unique homes, new 'Plus' abodes, new Luxury retreats...Ah, but I digress, please forgive my ramblings!

@Rebecca181   Well, I thought of it because a recent guest said she was instantly attracted to my place when she saw the cover photo, and immediately showed it to her husband and said "I HAVE to stay here!"  So then I was picturing people who have stayed before maybe looking for a listing to show a friend where they stayed and suggesting it if their friend is planning a trip here. Maybe that's wishful thinking.

About 80% of my guests so far are ones I'd love to host again, most felt like friends, so I've given all those my personal email address if they want to come again (I know, rebelhost).

Rebecca, Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed and thorough response! Honestly, I’m so blown away by the generosity of everyone on this forum... 

I will go through my listing today and see what needs to be filled in. Thank you! I didn’t realize this had changed again!

After decades of being an affordable neighborhood with tight knit communities, everything was suddenly thrown on its head with an influx of new renters who “discovered” us, and so many people I know are being squeezed out of their homes or living on a financial precipice. Air BnBs have also proliferated. So you are so right- everything that worked so well for the past few years might no longer be enough.  All we can do is what’s within our control- closely examining our profiles and pricing. I’m always nervous that there are some levels on which we cannot be in control, ie the vagaries of an algorithm or market saturation. But all you can do is stay pragmatic and positive... Thank you so, so much for taking the time to write such a wonderful reminder! 

@Marisha0 My pleasure, and please do keep us posted on this thread! I keep a very close eye on my listing at all times; I adjust it frequently, and track all the listings that are similar to mine in size and price that are close to the beach, like I am. It is working out well so far, but I also realize that the reservations from ABB could dry up any day, and I never forget that. I'm of the age now where I never count on anything lasting forever, and this includes my current success renting my beach vacation home. That's why I always have a plan A, B, and C. Perhaps I will one day end up a Snow Bird wandering the land like Kung Fu with my horses and dogs, dispensing my hard-earned short term rental experience and wisdom from the back of a live-in horse trailer! You never know!

Best of luck!

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Marisha0 you have a few things going for you; you are kind-hearted and express your self  very well.  I would look at this aberration of a guest as just that and nothing more, and like others have suggested, look  around you and research if there have been any changes since last year (competition,etc), and maybe discover something you could uplift. The only thing I noticed (if not mistaken) was that you do not 'respond' publicly to guest reviews, perhaps you should, your manner and personality is a plus you know. 

Fred, I don’t even know what to say!!!!! Thank you sooooo much for SUCH kind words! This really means the world to me! Most of my reviews are very nice, but on the occasions that they are not, I don’t want to seem or be dismissive of someone else’s perspective. I even tried to look at this from the point of view of these guests. New to Air BNB, I’m not sure they were prepared for the realities of a shared space and (might have) had a “I paid so now I can do what I want” mentality that made me seem like a tyrant for enforcing boundaries. But, then again, every situation has boundaries...